Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by ChrisM »

I wore a knee-length "office style" (for lack of a better term) skirt to a National Symphony concert at Wolf Trap on Friday. Many people noticed, nobody said anything.

On Saturday at the National Gallery of Art, wearing a khaki casual skirt I had the same: Many people notice. Nobody speaks.

It's all just fine with me - I have no need to be spoken to. Just thought I'd put those two outings on the map here.

Chris
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

I just realised that I don't notice if people are noticing, I just get on with life regardless. Re. Skip's conversation about his tiered skirt being taken for a kilt, I had a similar experience about five years ago when in a bookshop in Maleny, when the proprieter said "That,s a nice kilt" as he noticed my ankle length khaki cargo skirt. I think some people process things as they can, their minds being unable to grasp some truths!
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I've not often had my non-tartan skirts referred to as kilts, but some years ago, when I was wearing a plain beige home-made wrap skirt, a Scottish lady of advancing years called it a sarong. It had a few pleats at the back, so I regarded it a kilt!

Martin
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

An update, I was in town and wearing an ankle length denim skirt. I left Barbara and went to the Lotto agent with her card and a $10.00 note for a ticket. As I passed two girls, and met their eyes, I had the comment "nice skirt!" :bow: I replied "thanks".of course 8)
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

For the last few days I've been going shopping at a variety of stores wearing skirts anywhere from 3" above to 3" below the knees and I've came to the conclusion that yes, people notice. Of those who notice, no one has said anything or had any reaction. Today I walked by some teenagers having lunch outside a restaurant and noticed that they all looked as I walked by. One nice thing about wearing sunglasses... you can look out of the corner of your eye and not be noticed! :) No laughs or anything like that. I bet they talked about it after I was out of hearing range! That's fine with me. I'm at that age where I really don't care what people think about the way I dress. Specially when it's hot outside and they're sweating and I'm not!

I'll take some pics of what I was wearing and post them within a couple of days.

--Rick
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

On my recent skirted pub-crawl in London (see Pics and Looks thread), my friends assured me that I got plenty of looks and many comments. For me, I was utterly oblivious to it all. Dave, on the other hand, was probably running "Oh Lordy, Paul's in a skirt and I'm with him" through his head like a mantra. Given the difference in our mental states, it's no wonder he did all the noticing.

The day passed without incident and we all enjoyed ourselves.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

More people notice than you think.

Yesterday an acquaintance told me I was quite "famoso" around these parts; whether because of the skirts or because of my cycling, or both ?

"Everyone knows the man in skirts on his bike," she said.

Martin
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

In my part of the world, DFW Texas.
Yes they notice but they dont usually say anything.
At least not yet.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

I am usually kilted while working in my yard. folks in the neighborhood are used to seeing me that way. The other day I wore a knee length deim skirt instead. No reaction from the neighbors, postman, or the trash collector. The only notice I recieved was from the wife when she came home from work. "Have you been wearing that all day?"
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

So I have been spending my weekends wearing A-Line Tennis skirts, Black and Navy in color. They are about 19" long so they fall a several inches above the knee. No one seems to notice, if they have they have no one has made any comment to me.
Usually on weekend nights I will stop by a local sports bar for a beer or two and dinner while watching sports on the TV's, usually Texas Rangers the local baseball team.
A friend of mine who is from Scotland was having his birthday party at the that sports bar tonight. He sad he and several of his friends would be wearing their kilts tonight so I decided to wear one of my kilts as well. The moment I walked into the bar the bartender and one of the waitresses made a comment about my kilt. While it was a positive comment it was odd that they chose that time when I was one of 6 or 7 men wearing kits at a party to comment about it.
I asked the waitress latter about it and pointed out that I had been wearing a tennis skits to the bar. She said she hadn't noticed, thought they were shorts. The kilt one the other hand was hard to miss, with its red tartan pattern, sporran and boots there was no way not to notice it. So lets see what she says when I return in a red tennis skirt, maybe since they have been tripped off they will now say something.

Phat
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Just spent a couple of days in Surbiton, London.No trouser with me at all. Started out in my kilt. First comment was from a youngish man who had a very embarrased woman next to him as he pulled up in his car and said "my Mum wants to know if you are wearing any pants under that!" as she cringed and hid her face.That made me laugh.
In the pub where we were staying, an old local man told me what tartan I was wearing, first time anyone has told me which tartan, this from a Londoner. I was quite surprised.
Quite afew others have asked me what tartan, all comments and questions were very positive.
Last night I got fed up of not having pockets and suffering the dreaded sporran, oh and 12 yards of wool in the temperatures here was getting sweaty, so I stuck on my knee length denim cargo skirt.Mate who is with me just said "Different kilt" I said, "Sort of". From that point on, the skirt had no comments whatsoever.
Wearing it again for my journey home today.But toying with the idea of chaniging to the ankle length version because Scotland is going to be wet.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Now home, knee length denim skirt all the way. Not one comment, they do seem to be invisible. Only downside is the amount of unbiforcated walking has resulted in some painful chafing. Good weekend though!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I cannot speak to the "invisible denim" phenomenon, but it turns out that my red Macabi is visible and that people, especially women, notice and look. At least that's what was relayed to me by one of the guys I went sailing with yesterday during an apres-sail stroll through Boston's North End in search of something to eat.

Not wanting to seem vain, I didn't press the issue, but apparently I "turn heads". Whether this is in a positive way or a negative way I cannot say, but from an external observer -- a better scientific tactic than trying to grade it one's self -- folks notice, and apparently it's mostly the women and probably because they're more in tune with clothes and style than guys.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

.... and apparently it's mostly the women and probably because they're more in tune with clothes and style than guys.
I have been on vacation this week, spent a few days on the Texas Gulf coast. From the start of this vacation I have been wearing several different skirts. No one has commented about my skirts but some women seem to give me a double take to verify that I am indeed wearing a skirt and the long and baggy shorts found in todays mens wear stores. One person in a restaurant gave me a double take when I walked into the store to ordre a sandwich. THe store got busy while I was in line and several of the women in the line behind me noticed but did not say anything, at least that I could hear.

To me the bigest obstacle to overcome about wearing a skirt in public is getting over my personal mental bias against it. One thing is sure the skirts were much coller in the Texas summer heat than the shorts being offered in the mens wear stores. It was strange that I was one of the few people wearing a skirt, the women were in jogging shorts or capri length pants.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

We went to church today and, as the people there are used to me, there was no reaction. (Mal, taking the collection ( something common to all denominations :lol: ) greeted me by name as he sent round the basket. We went out to breakfast with some friends and, as I was wearing a VERY obvious ankle length flared khaki skirt, I noticed a man and his son staring in bemusement but a smile from me elicited a return smile from him.