Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtyscot wrote:Is this thread still going? I thought the consensus was "some do, some don't".

I'm on holiday with the family, and we've been to a ton of museums, galleries, castles and whatnot. When you wander round one of these places, everyone going at their own speed, you pass some people several times. Some people ... well, either they're not very observant, or they're too engrossed in the exhibits, or maybe they see men in skirts every day, or they get over the shock of seeing me skirted PDQ ... whatever, after about two rooms I can't see anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to my skirts. Not even the children.
The problem here is you are a moving target and not stationary art -
a fleeting glance and out of sight out of mind comprehension -
Move along now these are not the droids you were looking for (especially skirted ones) !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

They do notice now and then.
When I left the hospital after visiting a friend of my wife, in the main hal a female security guard walked up and said:"I really love your kilt, Sir." My wife and the mother of the patient was with me. I had a denim skirt on with pockets in jeans style. I could only smile, I was not alert enough to thank her and/or correct her. I hope it will take away some of the still sligthly negative attitude of my wife.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, I got the answer to the original question today in spades -- some definitely notice,and you're never sure who.

Following the discussion with one of the waitresses at my local who almost purchased an example of my purple-based "peacock skirt", and pointed that notion up to me un-beckoned, I mentioned that I had another one that was blue-based, and in the spirit of a little bit of ribbing decided to wear that one today with my vivid blue dress shirt.

Today, at the place where I take lunch, the bartender remarked that I was wearing the same skirt as I was yesterday. For one, I was never sure whether she ever noticed before, and two, if she had that she was tracking. "It's the peacock feathers; you don't see those every day!" I said that it was a different skirt with a different colour-scheme and told her the story from the prior night, and the both of us had a laugh over it.

So, yes, this stuff does get noticed -- it's only if you're lucky and folks are feeling safe that they'll comment. It's especially nice when the entire exchange is positive!

I wish I'd discovered skirts when I was in my 20s and had the courage and confidence at the time to wear them! However, when I was in my 20s I was so busy cementing my reputation in my career that the notion would have been unthinkable... (However, it's likely I would have had more girlfriends than I did during those years... ARRGH!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I agree with the notion that people notice, but rarely comment. I don't think people typically talk about what a man is wearing, with the man wearing the clothes. At my local beer serving establishment over this last weekend I was sitting at the bar in a cargo skirt and one of the waitresses came up to me and said, "What, no Daisy Dukes today?" (I don't own mens shorts) I said, "No, I needed extra pockets today." Some small chit chat followed and that was that. One of my fellow beer drinking buddies next to me said, "Yeah man, you look a lot better in a skirt than short shorts."

Nobody mentioned my heels. :?
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Most people do notice but are too caught up in their own little worlds to even bother to care. If you are not directly engaged with them they just keep going not caring one bit about you and your clothes. If you want to prove this just go to a mall and stand just out of the way of the people passing by but in plain site. Oh! yes put on a happy smile. :D You will find you are looked at but it is usually just a quick glance and no comments they just keep walking looking at their cell phones or tablets.

So the moral of the story is wear what you like where you like and don't worry about the great unwashed.

Don't worry, be happy, wear a skirt!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Mike wrote: One of my fellow beer drinking buddies next to me said, "Yeah man, you look a lot better in a skirt than short shorts."

Nobody mentioned my heels. :?
I guess people associate skirts and heels go together :D

Tes
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I went to my local bank to make a deposit wearing a black sweater-dress beige support hose and brown ankle boots with 3" heels. And a brown shoulder bag.

As I turned to leave I had to walk towards the line of customers waiting their turn and this one lady had a totally gobsmacked look as she frankly stared at me and I could almost see the big red flashing RESET --- RESET --- RESET button doing its thing. Finally she observed "Nice boots." I just smiled, nodded and said "Thanks." as I clop-clop-clopped along in my heels.

Probably the best she could do at picking the least outrageous-to-her thing to comment on. :D

Me? I was hoping (since she was a tall lass) she'd step forward, wrap her arms around me, dip and plant a lip-lock on me for a couple of minutes. :oops: Ah well....
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Darryl wrote:I went to my local bank to make a deposit wearing a black sweater-dress beige support hose and brown ankle boots with 3" heels. And a brown shoulder bag.

As I turned to leave I had to walk towards the line of customers waiting their turn and this one lady had a totally gobsmacked look as she frankly stared at me and I could almost see the big red flashing RESET --- RESET --- RESET button doing its thing. Finally she observed "Nice boots." I just smiled, nodded and said "Thanks." as I clop-clop-clopped along in my heels.

Probably the best she could do at picking the least outrageous-to-her thing to comment on. :D

Me? I was hoping (since she was a tall lass) she'd step forward, wrap her arms around me, dip and plant a lip-lock on me for a couple of minutes. :oops: Ah well....
After she made the opening, you could've stopped to chat.

Like, tell here where you bought the boots or how long you've had them or whatever, and then compliment her on something she's wearing. Even if it's non-deliberate grunge, tell her it looks comfortable.

Don't you hate these things where you don't think of them until you're in the parking lot?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Denim: Many of us wear denim for several reasons. One reason would be they blend in an are less obvious. Denim is less comfortable than many other types of fabrics. There are are types of soft denim which I appreciate. When I wear denim that if rougher fabric with zippers, I like to wear a short half slip. Two slippery undergarments will slide against the other and add to the comfort. I have them in beige and black in case I accidentally flash someone.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Darryl wrote:[...] As I turned to leave I had to walk towards the line of customers waiting their turn and this one lady had a totally gobsmacked look as she frankly stared at me and I could almost see the big red flashing RESET --- RESET --- RESET button doing its thing.
Or, perhaps, to use an analogy form the original Terminator movie, she was waiting for the appropriate response to scroll by on the HUD. I've occasionally felt the same feeling as she must have, and I termed it, "The "E" light is on." -- and if it was really bad, "The "E" light is blinking", and my ex-, when things were good and her brain still whole, understood immediately. Many laughs were shared that way.
Was she at least attractive? If so, I'd have likely tried to chat her up. A good conversation never hurts.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Last evening I was taking tickets at the door. A couple came through(I know them slightly)
and she asked if I was Scottish or Irish. I was wearing a black skirt, black belt with the
Irish friendship knot buckle and my bag in the position of a sporran.

She said 'Nice Kilt, is it Scottish or Irish." I answered in a slight brogue "Aye it's a wee
bit of both". She then said "Well, which is it" I answered "It's comfortable". We all
had a good laugh and the continued to their seats. :D

She did say that I 'caught her' with my comeback.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

People will notice what they want to notice and either ignore or disregard the rest. On a few outings in full women's wear (top, skirt, shoes), I had someone compliment me on my handbag, and just this past Saturday, a salesperson said she liked my earrings. Go figure.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

JeffB1959 wrote:People will notice what they want to notice and either ignore or disregard the rest. On a few outings in full women's wear (top, skirt, shoes), I had someone compliment me on my handbag, and just this past Saturday, a salesperson said she liked my earrings. Go figure.
I often get comments or questions on my socks, but hardly ever about the skirt....I think they can't help saying something, but don't want to address the obvious, I'm not sure why...
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I think people in general have a hard time talking to men about what they are wearing.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:I think people in general have a hard time talking to men about what they are wearing.
It's usually a pretty dull subject.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron