Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by john62 »

I fine it very interesting hearing of Moon's experience with bad behaviour. I have been wearing skirts for about ten years, I live in Melbourne Australia, the city has 4 plus million people and I live on the east side in a very middle class, conservative area. In the ten years I have heard one bad comment and one or two complements when wearing a kilt. There is no doubt that people see what I am wearing, either knee length or ankle length skirts, and yet I have never felt threaten. It is interesting how different societies work and express themselves.

John
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Now I know for sure that people notice.
Yesterday, Labor Day, I had a few letters to put in the mail. Also I liked to do a little bike riding to digest the Labor Day BBQ. So around 11PM, I started on my way to the nearest letter box, in a shopping mall. I did not wanted to clip the letters in our mail box in the morning because I planned to go to the beach. And I would likely forget to mail the letters out because of my single mindset.

Like I used to have in the Netherlands, my lights were on. A nice white beam in front and a red flasher at the back. I had to cross a busy street with traffic lights. I had to wait maybe a min ute before I could cross. I was just at the other side of the crossing when a guy with a clearly alcohol infused voice yelled:"######### drag." I biked on as if nothing happened so they did not have the satisfaction of seeing any reaction.

######### was a word that usually is beeped on TV and also mouth blurred to prevent lipreading childern to see a word what they are using between peers. Of the three syllables, the first one and the other two are used in churches separate but nut as a single word. The line between a bad word and a good word is sometimes very thin.
Last edited by beachlion on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:[...] with a clearly alcohol infused voice [...]
That about sums it up. A drunkard with no sense of civility or self-restraint.

Being potted is no excuse for bad behaviour, and I try to drive that point home wherever I can. Usually, it's the realm of losers and other dregs of society, although I have caught people at it who should have rightfully known better. In either event, it's disgusting when it happens.

The answer here is to take into account the source and then discount it as the sort of rubbish it is so long as there is no physical threat involved.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not counting the remark pertaining to the atmospheric conditions surrounding my testicles whilst wearing my skirt a few weeks, ago, I can think of only one time when someone might have yelled an obscenity, and even then I can't be sure it was directed towards me as it came from across a busy parking lot.... oh well...

Don't let it bring you down, it's only castles burning, find someone who's turning, and you will come around....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I consider myself extremely fortunate that in all the years I've worn skirts and dresses in public, I've never encountered any negative comments. Hell, for that matter, I rarely get any shocked expressions these days either.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

In nearly three years of full-time skirt wearing, I think I've had about four comments that sounded as though they were intended to bait me, but a cheerful ripost and a smile soon de-fused the situation.

I went around a local supermarket with a friend yesterday and she remarked afterwards that one or two people had seemed to notice me but then just carried on with their shopping. She asked if I had noticed them looking and I said I hadn't, because I wasn't bothered by that; perhaps they would have reacted differently if I had appeared flustered or nervous. The next time they see a man in a skirt behaving as though it was perfectly normal, they will take even less notice.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Since it was what passes for warm here in SF today, I wore one of my rather full (with soft pleats) linen skirt to the park to read in the sun. The skirt is four inches or so below the knee and will lift if the wind get under it, but is long enough that even with wind lift a passer-by would see much more than the top of my knees. I was on my way out of the park when I passed a girl of about 5 to 7. She looked at me for a long time and I could see by her expression she was trying to process what she was seeing.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pelmut wrote:In nearly three years of full-time skirt wearing, I think I've had about four comments that sounded as though they were intended to bait me, but a cheerful ripost and a smile soon de-fused the situation.

I went around a local supermarket with a friend yesterday and she remarked afterwards that one or two people had seemed to notice me but then just carried on with their shopping. She asked if I had noticed them looking and I said I hadn't, because I wasn't bothered by that; perhaps they would have reacted differently if I had appeared flustered or nervous. The next time they see a man in a skirt behaving as though it was perfectly normal, they will take even less notice.
Great handling on both the possible baitings and the reactions in the supermarket! Keep that up and your skirt-wearing will always be pleasant.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I have a bottom of the knee length navy corduroy skirt that I wore to my chemo infusion at the oncologist. Several staff members made positive comments on it (physician assistant and a couple of RNs). One comment the skirt color co-ordinated with the color of the room (I call it the blue room as the walls are painted a rather deep blue). One of the RNs liked the shoes I was wearing and the over all co-ordination with an ivory shirt and ivory tweedy knee socks. I did as my infusion nurse if my skirt causes any problem in the office with staff or other patients. She told me the staff didn't have a problem and other patients would just have to live with my choices.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Yesterday I was waiting in line at NAPA (auto parts store) to get brake pads for my truck. The guy behind me taps me on my shoulder and slightly laughing and says, "I hope you're not going to lay under your car in that." I said, "No worries, I have a hoist in my barn." He said something like, "Whew, that's a good thing!" He wasn't condescending, or picking on me, I think just some gentle ribbing between a couple of guys that wrench on stuff. No big deal. So he noticed, but honestly didn't seem to give a hoot.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Sounds like fun!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Orca

Post by Orca »

A few days back I was dressed in a short denim skirt while visiting my hairdresser, When I sat down before a mirror the hairdresser asked me if I was wearing a skirt. I said yes.
She then asked me if I was going to a certain town the day after because she heard on the radio that there was a skirted meeting for men. I said no, because that town is 125 km from where I live.

I told her that a skirt is the most comfortable short I ever wore and that I didn't mind to push the limits a bit. She complemented me on my guts and daring. After that we were busy finalizing the haircut itself. I was very pleased that such a nice conversation was the only result of wearing that skirt.

I had the impression that most of the other people there didn't know what was going on and most of them did not notice the skirt. I've been there before in a skirt but with the weather here in the Netherlands it's only about once a year that the temperature will allow for a skirt when I need a harircut. (I do work now and then..)
Swim Well, Brother!
jeanfor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jeanfor »

JeffB1959 wrote:I consider myself extremely fortunate that in all the years I've worn skirts and dresses in public, I've never encountered any negative comments. Hell, for that matter, I rarely get any shocked expressions these days either.
I started to wear skirts and kilts in 2010 and I would get a remark from time to time but mostly positive. Fast forward to 2017 and it seems that people are used to the idea. It is not a big deal anylonger
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I got a cute reaction from a young woman earlier today as I was walking out of the men's restroom and she was headed to the women's. First of all, her eyes flew open to almost saucer-size, then she stuttered a bit before getting out, "That's an absolutely lovely vest!" There wasn't a lick of comment about the red skirt I was wearing. (I suspect she was somewhat flustered by the encounter. I should figure out where she works.)

I did make sure to thank her kindly for the nice comment. After all, I do try to be a gentleman.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was out and about all day wearing a tee shirt that says, "REAL MEN WEAR KILTS" and a camouflage skirt to several stores in a mall from one end to the other and to a gas station, and then a convenience store to buy a lottery ticket. I was also at a meeting of an organization I belong to wearing the same tee shirt but not the skirt. NO ONE NOTICED. No one notice what I was wearing even though I walked all over the mall and across a street to and from the parking lot. Very interesting. I think it has a lot to do with confidence. If you act confident, you don't stand out, no matter what you have on.