Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just came back from my second meeting with my friend from costco. He confirmed that he didn't even notice that I was wearing a skirt until I mentioned it . So I guess people really don't notice.

That 's not the good part He again said that it was not his place to pass judgement on what I was wearing. He has become a close friend and a golfing buddy And its a great relief to know that he doesn't have any problems or concerns about my skirts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I can certainly identify with your reluctance to wear your skirts to your VFW post, but unless there are some overtly obnoxious macho types there, I'd say go for it, especially if it was a night when you know some of your friends who have seen you in skirts were going to be there.

Right now our country could use a little, nonchalant loosening up!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

VFW = Veterans of Foreign Wars

These are people - who (in many cases) either laid their lives on the line to protect freedom (many making the ultimate sacrifice) or were in direct support of those who laid their lives on the line to protect freedom.

The only response necessary to these people is that use are taking advantage of the freedom that they sacrificed for by serving in the military.

I have a brother in law who told me to get a haircut. I responded by saying that I had spent 3 years 1 month and 25 days in the military with 2 tours in Southeast Asia, and he as a member of the military ought to realize that I had earned the right to wear my hair however I d*mned well please.

Not another word was spoken about my hair by him or any other person within earshot.

Freedom is what it is and those who sacrificed for freedom should respect those who used it regardless what they wear for clothing.

(I'll climb down from my soapbox now - is it too late to run for president?)
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Where have you been Pat? You know the inauguration is only a few weeks away. Are you ready to take the oath yet?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Hey PatJ Thank you for your service.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

On a scale of 10, with 10 being everyone noticing (detectable to me), I had and interesting comparison.
City up-market suburban busy street. - 1
Lower socioeconomic shopping centre. - 4
Country shopping centre. - 6
Being introduced to new people in their home. - 10
General store, street and Post office in my home town. - 8
There were no comments except for my home town, today.
Normally no-one comments but when I came out of the post office and about to get into my car, a group of about 6 mid teen boys called out to me from the opposite corner of the intersection: (I was wearing a frayed denim mini skirt)
"Hey Anthony!"
"Yes?"
"Can we get one of those things from you?"
"What things?"
"That ..... dress thing you are wearing ....... Dougie wants one, he likes it"
"Oh the skirt, yes, they are great in hot weather, go to the Op Shop"
This exchange was made by shouting across a wide main road - very out there.
The local Op Shop only opens for one day in a month, so there might be a run on mini skirts.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

My experience has been that people notice that I am wearing a skirt (maxi skirt, knee-length, patterned, denim, (it doesn't matter)). In the city, people see it and go on about their business. It is kind of like tattoos and piercings, I think. In the country, people might take a look and watch me for a few seconds. But that's about it.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Funnyish story from several years ago; crossing by ferry from Scotland to N Ireland. I was wearing a black polo shirt, short denim skirt, black tights and boots - so nothing particularly outrageous; remained in the cafe area for the crossing as it was quiet.

Across from me I could see a guy with a black leather jacket with studs and a green spiky Mohawk (punk!) He was mostly just resting quietly, keeping himself to himself.

The call came that we were docking so had to return to our vehicles. The few passengers around gathered belongings together and started to make way. As we moved away from the tables, our full attire became visible; the punk was visibly surprised by me - :shock: being his expression :lol: but no trouble. I expect he wasn't used to somebody else looking different :D

Nobody else seemed to pay any attention, but it was a very quiet crossing.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:Funnyish story from several years ago; crossing by ferry from Scotland to N Ireland. I was wearing a black polo shirt, short denim skirt, black tights and boots - so nothing particularly outrageous; remained in the cafe area for the crossing as it was quiet.
Across from me I could see a guy with a black leather jacket with studs and a green spiky Mohawk (punk!) He was mostly just resting quietly, keeping himself to himself.
The call came that we were docking so had to return to our vehicles. The few passengers around gathered belongings together and started to make way. As we moved away from the tables, our full attire became visible; the punk was visibly surprised by me - :shock: being his expression :lol: but no trouble. I expect he wasn't used to somebody else looking different :D
Nobody else seemed to pay any attention, but it was a very quiet crossing.
So the two of you were unnoticed fairly attired on the ferry crossing !

I have noticed in my travels that when there is a crowd casual conversation is null but have a lull or a break and affinity kilt wearers may strike up conversation.
Even more so when the tartan pattern is something not in the commercial norm i.e. Red Stewart - Black Watch.
Wearing a kilt is such a breeze in more ways than one - a real conversation starter !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jjjjohanne wrote:My experience has been that people notice that I am wearing a skirt (maxi skirt, knee-length, patterned, denim, (it doesn't matter)). In the city, people see it and go on about their business. It is kind of like tattoos and piercings, I think. In the country, people might take a look and watch me for a few seconds. But that's about it.
I agree, the reaction from anyone who notices is generally very mild.

So how long have you been wearing skirts in public, and what kind, and where? Tell us about yourself!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
jjjjohanne

Post by jjjjohanne »

So how long have you been wearing skirts in public, and what kind, and where? Tell us about yourself!
I have dabbled in non-traditional clothes since I was young, but I was too ashamed to tell anyone. Originally, I was attracted to certain fabrics found in women's wear. Later, I became attached to the idea of it, I think. In my teens and early 20's, I went out in public in shorts and pantyhose some. I struggled, for some reason, with the idea that if I wanted to wear a skirt in public that I had to wear a wig and makeup... One day, I wore a skirt for a morning walk. If it was not on that first day, then it was on one of the immediate subsequent days that I realized: I can wear a skirt as a man. It was an epiphany!

My wife did not like it and I mostly wore in secret. I got bolder and bolder. I eventually went to a store in a skirt. I was SO nervous. A saleswoman asked me why. I left there and walked from one end of the mall to the other. I got looks. I got laughed at by two young women. Otherwise, I was treated with respect.

Over the years my boldness has increased. I have done Christmas shopping, flown on airplanes, bought a car, eaten in restaurants, gotten haircuts, etc. all while skirted as a man. I still do not skirt around friends, extended family, or co-workers. However, to stay true to the topic of this thread, I believe the reactions I get are becoming less significant. It's not amusing any more. People take it in stride. (Or maybe I have learned how to dress in a more coordinated manner.)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

jj, Yes the feelings first few times out in a skirt are really hard to describe but we have all been though it. I am always amazed that, for a simple garment, how difficult it can be at times to put together a credible look that we can be confident in. Often I try on five or six skirts before being happy with my final selection. And yes, co-ordinated dressing has to be worked out sometimes the hard way with many failures along the route. Welcome to the café.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

jjjjohanne wrote:...I believe the reactions I get are becoming less significant. It's not amusing any more. People take it in stride. (Or maybe I have learned how to dress in a more coordinated manner.)
The more confident you are, the more accepting people will be. This is the essence of, "bringing it off."

And of course it never hurts to have a well-coordinated outfit that makes it look like you know what you're doing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

I'm not sure, I took an hour plus long walk, in daytime which is rare for me these days, over a popular dog walking route and several people looked down but not the full up and down look...
A lot of people didn't even notice...!!!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Tackleberry wrote:I'm not sure, I took an hour plus long walk, in daytime which is rare for me these days, over a popular dog walking route and several people looked down but not the full up and down look...
A lot of people didn't even notice...!!!
Success!

And it only gets easier.

caultron