Do folks notice or not?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Do folks notice or not?

Post by Kilty »

oldsalt1 wrote:Here's a twist for you . I always wear my Vietnam veterans baseball cap. It seems that lately veterans are getting the respect that some of us didn't get when we first came home. I get a lot of smiles and friendly nods which I greatly appreciate. The funniest thing is when someone starts to say the normal "thank you for your service" and about half way thru they notice the skirt and start to stutter :salut: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :salut:

You look smart, sir :wink: Perhaps a military style Khaki cargo skirt would put them at ease? :roll:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kilty wrote:You look smart, sir :wink: Perhaps a military style Khaki cargo skirt would put them at ease? :roll:
See the shot he put up just today featuring a look in mostly khaki. It works.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

That is a hysterical visual you give us regarding your veterans' cap.

If anyone ever questions the combination, point out that it was every American's freedoms that you were fighting for and that included your own!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
piper_steve

Post by piper_steve »

I wonder that very thing.
I drove across Canada (a three day drive) wearing a skirt the whole way.
I checked into hotels, stopped to eat in very crowded restaurants and stopped for fuel.
The adrenaline was pumping and I was keeping a very sharp eye out for reactions.
I also listened intently for any comments that came within earshot.
There were none whatsoever.
Now I wear skirts all the time.
Nobody has ever said anything to me.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

piper_steve wrote:I wonder that very thing.
I drove across Canada (a three day drive) wearing a skirt the whole way.
I checked into hotels, stopped to eat in very crowded restaurants and stopped for fuel.
The adrenaline was pumping and I was keeping a very sharp eye out for reactions.
I also listened intently for any comments that came within earshot.
There were none whatsoever.
Now I wear skirts all the time.
Nobody has ever said anything to me.
No wonder you didn't get any feedback. You drove across Canada in just 3 days. No one even saw you! Tofino to St. John's needs at least 4 days. :lol:

How was rural Quebec? I got a very intense stare there once.
Daryl...
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Yes, people do indeed notice. While on an outing Saturday, I was sitting on a bench in a park when a white haired gentleman who looked to have been well in his 60's came up to me and said he liked my skirt which looked comfortable on me. He then said that he used to wear a sarong and that he loved it. Pretty cool!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

JeffB1959 wrote:Yes, people do indeed notice. While on an outing Saturday, I was sitting on a bench in a park when a white haired gentleman who looked to have been well in his 60's came up to me and said he liked my skirt which looked comfortable on me. He then said that he used to wear a sarong and that he loved it. Pretty cool!
We white haired gentlemen in our sixties think it's pretty cool that some youngins are following in our footsteps! :D
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

i just got back from the shopping mall had to buy something at sears. Was there with my son while we were there we decided to get to something to eat . The food court was on the other side of the mall. This is a pretty big mall with a sears macys penneys and about 70 or o 80 other stores

We left sears and started to walk across the mall . It was fairly crowded for a Sunday afternoon.

We got to the food court got some food sat and ate than walked back to sears . In all honesty I don't think that I got one look the entire time.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:i just got back from the shopping mall had to buy something at sears. Was there with my son while we were there we decided to get to something to eat . The food court was on the other side of the mall. This is a pretty big mall with a sears macys penneys and about 70 or o 80 other stores

We left sears and started to walk across the mall . It was fairly crowded for a Sunday afternoon.

We got to the food court got some food sat and ate than walked back to sears . In all honesty I don't think that I got one look the entire time.
What's a guy gotta do to get noticed these days? I'm thinking maybe "ground effects" lights shining from under our skirts would do it.
Daryl...
neiljerram

Post by neiljerram »

Daryl wrote: What's a guy gotta do to get noticed these days? I'm thinking maybe "ground effects" lights shining from under our skirts would do it.
:D so true.

I'm actually a bit miffed that I haven't been mentioned in "Sightings in the Wild" yet, despite wearing skirts in London basically all the time (including to work) for over a year. :)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have been wearing skirts 24/7 for about 2 years now and have not even showed up in the Wal - Martians section yet. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Fred in Skirts wrote:I have been wearing skirts 24/7 for about 2 years now and have not even showed up in the Wal - Martians section yet. :lol:
Try outlandish colors and a propeller beanie.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:I have been wearing skirts 24/7 for about 2 years now and have not even showed up in the Wal - Martians section yet. :lol:
Try outlandish colors and a propeller beanie.
Alternate application is plaids stripes pleats and argyle sox and a panama hat with a purple hat band - optional pith helmet !
Don't forget the sneakers with flashing LED lights and wheelies - WOW look at that man go man go !
Super heroes and sesame street characters all rolled into one !
Beyond the dimensions of a Wal*Mart class act !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Is this thread still going? I thought the consensus was "some do, some don't".

I'm on holiday with the family, and we've been to a ton of museums, galleries, castles and whatnot. When you wander round one of these places, everyone going at their own speed, you pass some people several times. Some people ... well, either they're not very observant, or they're too engrossed in the exhibits, or maybe they see men in skirts every day, or they get over the shock of seeing me skirted PDQ ... whatever, after about two rooms I can't see anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to my skirts. Not even the children.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

This thread started on May 04, 2012. The consensus then was that most people don't notice or don't care.

Some things never change.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron