Skirts for Winter?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirts for Winter?

Post by Big and Bashful »

pelmut wrote:For venturing out in the current changeable English Winter weather, I have found a waterproof overskirt very practical. It is made of thin material with an over-large waist, drawn in with elastic, so that it can easily be stretched over a normal skirt and other clothing. Because the waist can be stretched wide enough to pull over the shoulders, it is quick to put on from above without fuss, rather than having to step into it on wet or muddy ground.

It rolls up into a bundle no bigger than a plastic mac. and can be left in the bottom of a bag or rucksack so that it is always available. Not only is it useful for keeping the rain off my skirt, but it can just as easily be worn over trousers. If the weather is dry, but cold and windy, the extra layer of material breaks the force of the wind and makes thin trousers feel a lot warmer.
I bought something very similar to this from amazon.co.uk, it is called a Rain kilt and is calf length-ish, waterproof and very effective.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Liino

Post by Liino »

Greetings All,
Well new to this site i have been fond of skirts for sometime now, actually years. I found this post on winter skirts interesting. I have been using down insulated and synthetic insulated skirts for awhile now. It gets very cold here in Canada and us boys with our plumbing on the outside, well they can freeze. So I have been looking for a warm covering. I have had women guests who have open my eyes to a company from Sweden that has been the originator of insulated skirts, I have 2 of them, one knee length and another one mid thigh. These can be worn over pants or with tights. I use them for skiing and winter walking. There is whole selection on the Skhoop site, they are really good. For really cold, the down, for a little warmer, synthetic is good.
http://www.skhoop.us/collections/skirts/down-skirts
http://skhoop.co.uk/
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Liino wrote:Greetings All,
I have had women guests who have open my eyes to a company from Sweden that has been the originator of insulated skirts, I have 2 of them, one knee length and another one mid thigh. These can be worn over pants or with tights. I use them for skiing and winter walking. There is whole selection on the Skhoop site, they are really good. For really cold, the down, for a little warmer, synthetic is good.
Wow, I wouldn't have dreamed of a down mini skirt, seems incongruous but I like the idea.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Looks just like the puffed up quilted vests and jackets.
But definitely need leg covering be it hosiery tights pantyhose leggings jeggings whatever !
These skirts will go a long way to keeping one warm - length will keep more area warm.

Thanks for the link to view a picture worth a thousand ahs ohs and uhs !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Liino wrote:Greetings All,
Well new to this site i have been fond of skirts for sometime now, actually years. I found this post on winter skirts interesting. I have been using down insulated and synthetic insulated skirts for awhile now. It gets very cold here in Canada and us boys with our plumbing on the outside, well they can freeze. So I have been looking for a warm covering. I have had women guests who have open my eyes to a company from Sweden that has been the originator of insulated skirts, I have 2 of them, one knee length and another one mid thigh. These can be worn over pants or with tights. I use them for skiing and winter walking. There is whole selection on the Skhoop site, they are really good. For really cold, the down, for a little warmer, synthetic is good.
Hi Liino, where are you located, if I may ask? I am in Calgary. I've looked at those skirts before, I am assuming on you, the "mini" comes down to mid thigh, and the "short" are knee length? How well do they work for you in say, -20C weather? I assume you would be wearing tights with them at those temperatures. I can pick up another brand that is very similar, but it looked too short to be useful.
Liino

Post by Liino »

r.m.anderson wrote:
> Hi Liino, where are you located, if I may ask? I am in Calgary. I've looked at those
> skirts before, I am assuming on you, the "mini" comes down to mid thigh, and the
> "short" are knee length? How well do they work for you in say, -20C weather? I assume
> you would be wearing tights with them at those temperatures. I can pick up another
> brand that is very similar, but it looked too short to be useful.
>
Greetings Partlyscot,
I am just in the Columbia Valley west of you. Yes the mini comes down to the mid thigh and I put it over ski pants for skiing. If is colder I use the knee length one as it is down and much warmer. So if I am using to walk in or shovel snow I will have a pair of tights on. I have used it when in the mountains with cold winds and strong winds, things freeze with that combination.It works well for my needs. Skhoop down/insulated skirts are very good and well built but had heard that other products they make are not as good. I have talked with a retailer that other makers that do insulated skirts are not as good of quality. They do make an ankle length down one which could be more useful.
Cheers!
Liino

Post by Liino »

Yes indeed and the down ones do feel like a down jacket. Worn alone with out pants, yes some tights or PH would be very useful.
One's big Jim and the twins are certainly happier with the length and in down. Many have zippers so when walking you can adjust for stride and step.
Agreed....ah, oh..uh!
r.m.anderson wrote:Looks just like the puffed up quilted vests and jackets.
But definitely need leg covering be it hosiery tights pantyhose leggings jeggings whatever !
These skirts will go a long way to keeping one warm - length will keep more area warm.

Thanks for the link to view a picture worth a thousand ahs ohs and uhs !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I didn't see the insulated skirts on those sites, and the US link didn't work on this Kindle, but I am familiar with the "down" quilted type of skirt. I occasionally see knee length ones discounted on the 6pm.com website. I have probably five "winter" skirts, mainly knit woolen garments, but one a lined corduroy slightly longer. Four of the five are made by (I hesitate to offer the brand due to complainers accusing me of advertising; obviously the brand isn't really important unless you are comparative shopping and seeking well-made garments, still I don't want to seem gauche or crassly commercial :roll: ) Woolrich. You should take a look at the 6pm site to see if you find winter styles on closeout. (Unless of course you shear your own sheep, card and spin the wool and knit your own skirt, as some have suggested as the meaningful way to clothe yourself. :D )
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

dillon wrote: You should take a look at the 6pm site to see if you find winter styles on closeout. (Unless of course you shear your own sheep, card and spin the wool and knit your own skirt, as some have suggested as the meaningful way to clothe yourself. :D )
The GF hasn't sheared her own sheep, yet. But that's just a matter of access, she would if she could get hold of one!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

partlyscot wrote:
dillon wrote: You should take a look at the 6pm site to see if you find winter styles on closeout. (Unless of course you shear your own sheep, card and spin the wool and knit your own skirt, as some have suggested as the meaningful way to clothe yourself. :D )
The GF hasn't sheared her own sheep, yet. But that's just a matter of access, she would if she could get hold of one!
LOL!! That's where the Border Collie does his job! I have shorn sheep, even took a class in it up in the Shenandoah Valley. I can only thank Providence that I went back to Agronomy as my career. But, for the record, sheep are far easier to manage than goats. May wisdom save me from ever again farming goats!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »