Skirts for Winter?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
MiltonKeynes

Skirts for Winter?

Post by MiltonKeynes »

Well, its really freezing here in England :blue:

Can cafe patrons recommend suitable skirts for Winter?

Also, are tights a good idea?

Milton
FJ in Milton Keynes. "Opinions are made to be changed - or how is truth to be got at?" (Lord Byron).
I've been on this planet since 1988 and wearing a skirt since 2008.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Skirts for Winter?

Post by crfriend »

One word: "Layers".

Long skirts made from thick or dense fabric definitely help. Thick fabrics tend to be good insulators and dense ones tend to make good wind-breaks. A heavy skirt with a petticoat underneath combined with tights is enough to keep my lower half warm down to about 0 F (~ -17C) and even lower if there isn't a wind. (Such an outfit works out to 4 layers: the skirt, the petticoat (of heavy cotton), a slip (to keep the tights from picking on the petticoat), and the tights.

Heavy tights are also very useful for warmth, including under trousers.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I'm in the Newcastle area at present and last night spent a couple of hours out walking. I wore a long Macabi with a knee length slip underneath for a little extra insulation. The fabric of the Macabi is very wind resistant so with the slip to add a little extra trapped air for insulation I was very comfortable. Air temperature was around 3C with a moderate breeze.

I don't wear tights very often as I don't like the feel. However a long thick pair of socks can effectively deal with the gap between hem and footwear.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS I should probably point out (admit?) that I do carry rather more sub-cutaneous bioprene than Carl.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
dlacey

Post by dlacey »

Just returned from checking up on our chickens. 5 am and 35f.
multiple layers keeps it cozy. ( 2-silky underskirts, 2-sarongs, and a corduroy a line skirt)

Don
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Milfmog wrote:I'm in the Newcastle area at present and last night spent a couple of hours out walking. I wore a long Macabi with a knee length slip underneath for a little extra insulation.
I always think Newcastle is generally a very friendly and down-to-earth city. How did you get on wearing the Macabi? Any odd looks or comments? Mind you, there are parts of Newcastle/north Tyneside where I would be rather wary of venturing out in a skirt.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Stevie D wrote:I always think Newcastle is generally a very friendly and down-to-earth city. How did you get on wearing the Macabi? Any odd looks or comments? Mind you, there are parts of Newcastle/north Tyneside where I would be rather wary of venturing out in a skirt.
I've been working in Newcastle area for the past few months (full time since November, but for about a week a month for most of last year). I generally don't spend much time in the town, preferring a hotel in a rural location as it allows me to walk in some of the astonishingly beautiful countryside this part of the world is blessed with. However I have been into town skirted (and sometimes Utilikilted) a dozen or so times and have not encountered any negative reactions to my attire, though I have had to be prepared for a bit of ribbing. But if you're prepared to have a laugh and a joke with the folks here, they'll give you a bit of stick then buy you a pint and complain about the football... Good people.

Curiously, I seem to get more sidelong glances in a Utilikilt than I do in the Macabi or my other skirts. For some of the skirts I can imagine that they just don't really notice, but the Macabi is pretty full and, being long, there is no way to mistake its' profile for trousers or shorts.

I wore the long Svenjoyment skirt (bought from B&B) to a restaurant a couple of days ago; not only did it receive no negative responses but two waitresses (separately) complimented me on it and, as I left, a group at one of the tables stopped me to chat about it. The two girls (in their 20's) both approved while both the lads seemed a little bemused. A definite win from my perspective.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Good to see that skirt working well for you!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Milfmog wrote: But if you're prepared to have a laugh and a joke with the folks here, they'll give you a bit of stick then buy you a pint and complain about the football... Good people.
Yes - hurrah for Newcastle and its folk.
A bit like Sheffield really... :wink:
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Stevie D wrote:Yes - hurrah for Newcastle and its folk.
A bit like Sheffield really... :wink:
Yes I always got on well with the natives in Sheffield too (back when I was working with Stocksbridge Engineering Steels in the 1980s (not that I wore skirts back then)). The only time I ever remember a frosty welcome was the time I walked into a pub with a colleague as he declared, loudly enough to be heard by everyone present, that there is nothing wrong with Yorkshiremen; they're just like Scots with the generosity taken out.

Hmmm.... nothing like ingratiating yourself with the locals.

Have fun,

Ian.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Ah Sheffield,
looking forward to sinking many pints there before the end of the month. Always good to visit the place! 8)
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

I find long skirts, especially wool and pleated, to be significantly warmer than trousers, as they trap a lot of heat.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Scottish kilts are certainly warmer than ordinary trousers, as they have at least two layers of cloth (warm wool!) all round, whereas trousers have only one often with no room for a layer of insulating air. I would not want to go far in a single-layer skirt at this time of year.
The siberian cold air has reached right down into southern Spain now, so I'm not going far from home today anyway, to tell the truth. It appears that northeastern Scotland is considerably warmer than the rest of Europe right now.

Martin
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Currently on the West coast of Scotland it is 5.5 degrees centipede and raining. Just like most of the rest of the year! Some sort of long waterproof skirt would be a good option if they existed. I haven't found anything like that, definitely not in my size anyway!

I still haven't figured out why Scots invented the kilt in a land of coolness, constant rain and midges! A wet kilt weighs as much as a small car and still lets midges get at areas which just don't deserve to be bitten!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Big and Bashful wrote:I still haven't figured out why Scots invented the kilt in a land of coolness, constant rain and midges! A wet kilt weighs as much as a small car and still lets midges get at areas which just don't deserve to be bitten!
It toughens the Scots up.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Here in Holland the present temperature is minus 10 degrees C, dropping to - 22 at night.
So I wear jogging pants if you don't mind.

Sorry for that. :wink:

Jan.