Are We Winning?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are We Winning?

Post by weeladdie18 »

In our history of women in trousers We seem to have forgotten Amelia Arehart ? First Lady of the Air , and Greta Garbo,
who wore "Slacks " when Organising Her Business on her Film Sets.........I have recently been reading Daphne du Maurier..
...Frenchmans Creek. ....A tale of a Heroine 's relationship with a Breton pirate.......She speaks of the Lady forsaking her
dresses and wearing mens breaches for horse riding.

Back between 1975 a young wannabe authoress spoke of a photo she received from Daphne wearing..... "a sensible brown
boyish trouser suit " There are many random Females who chose to wear their garments with trousers or slacks in a rebellious
way with regard to traditional female fashion.

Perhaps we, the male , are more conscious of crossing the barrier of gender fashion than we should be.
With regard to Male Fashion throughout History "What goes around. Comes around ! "

Unbiforcated Garments are not new in male wardrobe. .....We have just not kept this type of garment in our Wardrobe.......
.....I feel it is the lack of practicality of a garment which causes it to fall from fashion.......These days there are many reasons
why the female has chosen to wear trousers , perhaps for practicality rather than just FASHION.....

...............weeladdie.....
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted excessive spacing & spelling corrections
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Are we winning ? Yes is the answer ... We are succeeding in dressing the way we wish to dress .The major obstacle is
that many do not accept our style of attire as it is not fashionable...... However this is only a degree of relevance.
I feel that those of us who are trend setters in our own location will never suddenly wake up one morning and
find all the local males dressed in a similar style to ourselves.

The reality is that many of us will be left alone to do our own thing........ Doing our own thing is possibly the best thing.
Even if our numbers doubled, they would still be a small percentage of the worlds population.
Many of us have been holding our ground for thirty or even forty years. As long as each of us is replaced by another
on the termination of our life span, I feel this is possibly the best we can hope for.......
............weeladdie
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu May 10, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted excessive spacing
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Are we "winning"? I don't think so. Does it matter? Not in the slightest. I don't worry about such things, I just go my own way, enjoying myself in skirts, and that's good enough for me.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote:Are we "winning"? I don't think so. Does it matter? Not in the slightest. I don't worry about such things, I just go my own way, enjoying myself in skirts, and that's good enough for me.
AMEN!! :D :D :D :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Are WE (the Skirt Cafe crowd) winning? Yes. We are wearing the clothes we like to wear. We are helping our fellow men wear skirts as an acceptable clothing choice in public. We are gradually increasing our numbers (seems that way; maybe the moderators know how our numbers are trending). We are easing the burden for those guys who are a bit hesitant or unsure by giving support and advice. Many of us are out and about being seen by the public, and every skirted-man sighting is one more small way to show that men, in fact, can actually wear skirts normally.

But are we winning in the sense of: is society changing? Almost certainly, but, as others have mentioned, trends take a L O N G time and it may seem like no progress is being made.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Are WE (the Skirt Cafe crowd) winning?
Yes, absolutely, I believe we are.

We prove on an everyday basis, in many different circles, that we're decent human beings; we may have "odd" tastes in apparel, but that does not preclude us from participating in society; that we're not about to get randomly picked up off the street by the cops; that we're not going to have the stuffing kicked out of us by thugs; that we can hold our own in whatever setting we choose; and we're not about to take an uninformed and ignorant "no" for an answer in regards to things. Any of those facets could be construed as winning; as a collection, I'd say that we have won. So long as we don't slide backwards and enter another Dark Age we should be fine.

Does the above mean that we're pulling large numbers of men into donning skirts in preference to trousers? It doesn't, but that's not the way to define "winning": we have established our right to wear what we want. Sure, we may temper that with our surroundings or those whom we are with at the moment, but it does not diminish the fact that we have established a presence. We cannot "pull" others; all we can do is lead by example. If they choose not to follow then they have made a choice. Recall, that a decision to do nothing is still a choice.

On the allusion to time, there's no way I would have dressed the way I do now in the 1980s (although I do recall seeing a chap on the Boston (MA/USA) underground/subway who was wearing a long white skirt on a hot summer day -- so somebody had bigger cajones than I did at the time. Bravo. But today, I see no resistance whatsoever save for very specific circumstances. For instance, I would not wear a skirt if I was representing my company in public; however, since so few folks know who I work for (by design) it's not an issue at any other point in time. But, yes, times have changed. I doubt it's down to a general liberalisation of ideology; I rather more suspect it's a reaction to a tightening economic situation and most folks being more frightened about where the next meal is coming from than what the guy standing next to them at the train station or the lunch counter is wearing. Overall, it seems easier now, and that's good.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

hairy wrote:How long did it take for women to wear trousers? How long is it taking for men to wear skirts? How long did it take men to grow long hair in the 60s? I think most men are just too frightened to get out and spread the word.
Fear of femininity explains it all.
Daryl...
skirts4me
Distinguished Member

Post by skirts4me »

Daryl wrote:
hairy wrote:I think most men are just too frightened to get out and spread the word.
Have you read www.men-in-skirts.org/skirtsinAus.html? It's worth a read, even if it was written some while ago.
Shalom
Steven
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

skirts4me wrote:
Daryl wrote:
hairy wrote:I think most men are just too frightened to get out and spread the word.
Have you read http://www.men-in-skirts.org/skirtsinAus.html? It's worth a read, even if it was written some while ago.
nice article, but one of the many pro lacking real stand. We, the skirtcafe gang, know all about the pro's and con's. handling the dearest which aren't fond of the idea. Setting up new relationships hoping that the skirt will not be a no-go issue again. Trying to let others look beyond the box. But as things are, indeed the voice of women is stronger than we dare to acknowledge. I.m.o. women tend to have two faces, 1) they do want to have male partner, 2) he is not allowed to express himself in what ever way (maybe not immediately but slowly and surely).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The individual man who finally decides to do something he's always wanted to, and venture out and express himself freely, whether it be with a skirt, or some other garment, is no doubt celebrating a personal victory. Yes, he is winning.

Anyone who is truly content with their life is winning, regardless of what they are wearing.

Like Jeff, I could care less how many men wear skirts and dresses. I used to be more concerned with it just so I wouldn't feel so alone, but after a few years I got accustomed to being the loner around here, and now I just don't worry about it. If men want to keep pinching their balls in trousers, well, as long as they're happy. Happy people are always better than agitated people.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirts4me wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Have you read http://www.men-in-skirts.org/skirtsinAus.html? It's worth a read, even if it was written some while ago.
Eight years is not so long ago. It seems pretty right-on to me.

I think Wikipedia does a pretty good job too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculine ... e_feminine
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

My recent experiences have led me to think that we are definitely "winning" but I caution that this does not mean that we are not still marginalised. I have been all over the map fashion-wise lately and barely get noticed or remarked on for it by either strangers or friends. I am wearing a pink cami and a flowery circle skirt right now and do not hesitate to venture outside thusly attired. I wore a pencil skirt for most of my trips into motorcycle showrooms and got treated no differently for it. (I finally did not buy the Burgman, for those who are interested. Maybe later this year.) Banks, grocery stores, medical offices, public transit, my local men's rights movement group...nada.

I caution that we are still "marginalised" because where it matters most is employment. Hiring someone is a big deal for the decision maker, so those decisions tend to be very conservative. No one wants the reputation of being the one who hires weirdos, especially if one day a hiring decision proves to be a disaster, costing one's employer a lot in the process. Even if the disaster wasn't a "weirdo" it will be seen as confirming a pattern of possibly questionable judgement. Only the creation of justifications like "diversity hiring" can help counteract this in the short term (ie. one or two generations), and this is where the lgbtq2st+x-over-z movement is actually helpful -- at least until tyrannical activism brings it into disrepute, at which time it becomes a liability.

Local experiences may differ, but to those of us who find ourselves in a comfortably accepting local culture I can only say "please get out and be seen as often as possible" so we can solidify the ground we've already won and expand it from there.

We've already won the beaches. Now is the time to move further inland. The bravest among us are already parachuting behind the lines of the old norms. We have the enemy surrounded!
Daryl...
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Daryl wrote:
Local experiences may differ, but to those of us who find ourselves in a comfortably accepting local culture, I can only say "please get out and be seen as often as possible" so we can solidify the ground we've already won and expand it from there.
I heartily agree.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jim wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Local experiences may differ, but to those of us who find ourselves in a comfortably accepting local culture, I can only say "please get out and be seen as often as possible" so we can solidify the ground we've already won and expand it from there.
I heartily agree.
I would agree that the men in skirts have a better world than we had in our former years...By exchanging experiences and offering our friends helpful advice and support we are moving forward.

..Any man in a skirt who dips his toe in the waters of life and then dives into society gains confidence in his

skirt wearing activities.

My current theme is to regroup my thoughts . I am confident out on the street in my chosen skirts and I am quite happy to be left

alone to wear my chosen garments without any comment or enquiry from passers by.

Many years ago , four young ladies ,who were wearing trousers, asked me...... " Why are you wearing a skirt ? "

My reply was.... " Wearing a skirt is the latest fashion for men ! "

Their response was.. " I do not think that fashion will be very popular ! " .......... ......Times are moving on...

I feel we are winning ,and gaining respect whilst wearing our chosen skirts .........weeladdie