Are We Winning?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Are We Winning?

Post by Daryl »

Judah14 wrote:
Daryl wrote:Yes, countries like the Philipines definitely count too! I live in Canada and I have two lungi that I wear outside quite often. I discovered lungi in India. Anywhere westerners gather, try to sell them the local skirt, I say.
After looking at your slideshow, I would say that the Filipino malong (worn predominantly by Muslims) is different from your lungi as the malong is always a sewn tube of cloth not a simple sheet.
Technically true, but India is a very big place. In Varanasi the simple sheet gathered and pleated by hand while being donned seemed usual, but in Delhi I had a shop owner ask if I wanted it sewn into a tube and fitted so all I had to do was step into it and pull it up. They were both referred to as lungi but perhaps there are different names for the same thing.

I write this sitting here in my thawb, which I bought in Toronto not India...
Daryl...
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I'm confused... were we ever losing?
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mike wrote:I'm confused... were we ever losing?
Every morning I wake up not dead..... I claim a little victory!

When a man sets his mind free, it's always a winning scenario. Those with closed minds are the real losers in the world, whether they want to admit it or not. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:Are we winning? No.
Kilts tend to be expensive and also have association with a particular national dress,
Stu
I was reviewing this thread. I seemed to recall a link posted to the links section....

:idea: There is a company in Sweden-Blaklader-that sells utility type kilts.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

We are NOT moving forward, seems its going to be this way forever with just a few of us skirting in public.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I wear skirts because they are comfortable. I also like to push the envelope a little. After some years of skirting now, I don't care what other people may think or say. If men don't want to think of going skirted. it is their decision. I don't feel the urge to change the world. If men are not inspired by my example, so be it.
I have been through similar periods in other fields of behavior. "Ik heb meer met dit bijltje gehakt" as we say in Dutch and translated it is more or less like "I have cut more often with this hatchet." As long as it is lawful, I go my way.

To answer the question: I don't think so at the moment even when there is a favorable atmosphere but I really don't care that much.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Yeah, we are winning. We are winning because losing would mean being less not more free, and that doesn't seem to be the trend.
Daryl...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

hairy wrote:We are NOT moving forward, seems its going to be this way forever with just a few of us skirting in public.
True, if men see kilts as special occasion, yet still unusual clothes, a skirt will be seen in the same vein. I can't remember the last time I saw a guy in a kilt, let alone a skirt. If a guy does wear a skirt, no one will bother him, but will see it as strange but mentally move on from what they have seen. Protests to wear shorts in summer seem to result in 3 days of men working in skirts before management cave in, then the skirts are gone forever.

If young people take up wearing skirts more, it could work, but a handful of old guys will not inspire them unless it's a celebrity. Catwalks still show skirted men, but none of it practical for work. Thom Browne's stuff is nice, but a knee length pencil skirt would be practical than calf length with massive slit at the back. Then there's the crazy prices, no one will buy something so expensive, when you can buy something cheaper in the women's section :wink:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

kilty wrote: If young people take up wearing skirts more, it could work, but a handful of old guys will not inspire them unless it's a celebrity.
Conceivably, if the celebrity is an athlete, and the garment is intended for an athletic purpose.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Are We Whining?

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Conceivably, if the celebrity is an athlete, and the garment is intended for an athletic purpose.
Are we winning or are we whining? The choice is yours.

If we wait for others to pave the path for us then we will have a very long wait indeed. It's not going to happen via "celebrity", it's going to happen because guys really ought to be getting fed up with their options for attire at this point. The concept is not new. Guys have been out and about in skirts and skirt-like garments for decades (Hi, Mr. Ackerman!) and have been doing so proudly. We do not need some "individual of notoriety" to show us the way; we need to lead.

My own assertion on the topical question is, "We have won." -- with the proviso that if the social climate gets much worse that victory could be easily swept away.

In short -- and this holds with any endeavour -- if we wait for someone else to blaze the trail we're going to have a long wait indeed. Hence, the answer is to blaze the trail yourself instead of cowering in the weeds.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

How long did it take for women to wear trousers? How long is it taking for men to wear skirts? How long did it take men to grow long hair in the 60s? I think most men are just too frightened to get out and spread the word.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

hairy wrote:How long did it take for women to wear trousers?
They started wearing trousers during WW2 because they were filling the
vacancies in the aircraft plants when the men went off to fight the war.
Women even ferried the planes to England so the men could use them.
Then actresses such as Kathren Hepburn started wearing trousers in public.
The 'trend' caught on by the rest of American women.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I've started going out for a run/walk around our local lake, I guess the course is about 1.3 miles so not too long for a beginner. I alternate running and walking between lamp posts which are between maybe 50 and 100 yards apart. My leg muscles aren't used to the exercise so need to be acclimatised. This morning MOH was out at a car boot sale and it's glorious sunshine, not a cloud in the sky, and quite warm. Met quite a few peeps out walking dogs and had a brief to to some. I was wearing the purple cami, purple skirt and purple trainers. Oh, and a maroon McDonalds cap. [0] Not one word said about the gear. Not one. I must admit that the thought of the run gives me second thoughts each time but the opportunity to go out in a skirt gives me the added incentive. I never thought that I would ever say that. :D Next time it will be a blue top and blue skirt.

[0] My son, that died, worked for McDonalds for a while and he gave me his uniform of cap, red/grey striped top and dark blue trousers. I'm too big for the trousers but I wear the tops and caps in memory.

So, are we winning? Well I've already won one battle with MOH as the next ongoing one. After a period of hostility she's accepting of around the house at the moment. Even if I never convince any other man to wear a skirt I will be happy.

P.S. I half hoped that her indoors ( or outdoors in this instance ) would have arrived home before I got back but she hadn't. Only half hoped because I could never tell what her reaction would be, so maybe safer not. I haven't told her about my exercise yet.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

hairy wrote:How long did it take for women to wear trousers? How long is it taking for men to wear skirts?
Regarding women going the other way.... According to the Wikipedia article for Bloomers (Clothing):

Women had a period of experimentation beginning in the early 1850s. Initially, the early version of Bloomers (skirt over baggy trousers). During the early 1890s, the new Bloomers (baggy trousers with no skirt) began to gain traction for some athletic activities. During the 1930s, it became acceptable for women to wear shorts (modeled after mens shorts)/trousers more commonly. During World War II, women wore trousers while working in munitions factories.

From the beginning of experimentation, to the acceptance of one particular design-about 40 years. From the beginning of experimentation, to the diversification in the 1930s-about a lifetime. Think of change over a generational time scale.

From the early Bloomer experiments, to most women wearing twin-pipes most of the time-a bit more than a century. The transition was completed during my younger years.

As for MIS? I would say that we are in a period of experimentation.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Split Skirts as a subversive garment

Post by Grok »

During the first couple decades of the twentieth century, women were still struggling to escape a "Tyranny of Dresses". The split skirts were worn for a specialized purpose-as a form of athletic wear-but retained a skirt like silhouette.

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-scandalous-saddle/

My computer isn't displaying enough information for me to post a link. Found an article online.... "Culottes: From French Revolution to Feminism".

To summarize, the word "culottes" is a reference to Split Skirts, worn by more active women during the Victorian Era (mid to late 19th century). In a manner similar to the early bloomers, a ruffle or skirt like piece was worn over the split skirt, in an attempt to disguise the split-eventually these were discarded.

Of course, these sort of outfits were worn for the new fangled bicycles.