Miscellaneous Comments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Miscellaneous Comments

Post by Grok »

Skirt Cafe-a network of Zeta males. Willing to think outside the box-the box in this case being the stultifying, cramped little box of traditional masculinity.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My personal take on this is that in the modern world the "alphas" are mostly psychopaths and occupy, perhaps, the top 2%, the "betas" seem to be mainly narcissists with the second-place 5 or 6 percent, "deltas" -- if they exist, and they likely don't in the eyes of the A and B types -- make up the bee-equivalent of drones, and the "omegas" a large subset of drones and the outright "Marlboro Men", perhaps 30% of the remaining. The underlining is to expose the fact that these generalisations are not always true, but for the most part ring so. I know a couple of "alphas" and a few "betas" that are good eggs, but by far and away the As and the Bs are best avoided because of their innate traits.

Using dog terms to describe human behaviour is actually pretty darned accurate, and it's one of the reasons that dogs and humans learned to coexist as early as they did. The pack-structure of the dog is very close to the clan-structure of the primitive human. I still recall having to exert alpha status with my late ex-'s husky -- who came after me with teeth bared one evening over dinner (and which both surprised and scared my ex), and I responded by rising somewhat and letting out a low growl. I have no idea what I "said", but there wasn't a lick of trouble after that.

In digging a bit deeper into the notion of the "Zeta-male" (he who rejects the customary and current definitions of "what it means to be a man") I ran into a whole lot of "manosphere" crap which is not even thinly-veiled misogyny and outright hatred. That's not a path for the honourable male to take -- but, then again, neither is the hyper-machismo path we're expected to take either (which is also highly misogynistic). What's a real-world male to do? The notion was initially attractive at a surface-layer (kind of like physical beauty) but the spirit of it is entirely dark and unwholesome -- at best, and utterly repugnant at worst.

I'll stick to my assertion that I'm a whole and complete man who can't be bothered with the infantile stereotypes that the radical feminists have foisted upon us over the past few decades. Take the time to get to know me; you may be surprised.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Probably best to drop the "Zeta" term. Use "Maverick" instead.

My own take is that members tend to be older men, partly because they have already played society's games. They tend to be guys who have already reproduced, and may have gone as far as they are going to go in their careers. What else is there to strive for, except (at long last) authenticity?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:cross species relations

Post by Grok »

I was thinking back to what Michio Kaku wrote about concerning humans and dogs. As I understand it, dogs retain characteristics from their wolf ancestors, such as a tendency towards pack behavior. So if you assert your status as Alpha, the dog may accept this and defer to you.

Which makes us-honorary dogs?

Dogs, however, have undergone many generations of selective breeding. Wolf pups raised by humans don't really grow up to be domesticated dogs. I was recently watching an educational show which described the situation of wolf pups raised by humans. The narrator made these comments regarding the adult animals-that the animals knew that they could rip out your throat; it is just that they choose not to do so now.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Re:cross species relations

Post by r.m.anderson »

Grok wrote:I was thinking back to what Michio Kaku wrote about concerning humans and dogs. As I understand it, dogs retain characteristics from their wolf ancestors, such as a tendency towards pack behavior. So if you assert your status as Alpha, the dog may accept this and defer to you.

Which makes us-honorary dogs?

Dogs, however, have undergone many generations of selective breeding. Wolf pups raised by humans don't really grow up to be domesticated dogs. I was recently watching an educational show which described the situation of wolf pups raised by humans. The narrator made these comments regarding the adult animals-that the animals knew that they could rip out your throat; it is just that they choose not to do so now.
Sort of like "bite the hand that feeds them".
Not a smart idea for a dog (wolf) unless said dog wants to go out and forage on its own.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I am the Moon, and on Monday (Moonday), I shall block out the sun.

The lesson: Though you thought you were bright... I still stood in your way, and men shall walk I my shadow.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:I am the Moon, and on Monday (Moonday), I shall block out the sun.

The lesson: Though you thought you were bright... I still stood in your way, and men shall walk I my shadow.
I hear you Moon! Are you going to dance naked during the eclipse? :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I had a dream that I tamed me a bear, and I named him Glory.

Glory and I traveled far and wide bringing stories and peppermint candies to the people. How the children would stare, when I entered with Glory the bear.

I cast my staff over the ledge of the mountain, my heart, it stops and I lay on the ground looking at the sky, the stars are green and red, the blackness of the night sky turned violet and I was visited by my guardian, and she took me up and I saw the souls of mankind, I saw the beams of the spirits of everything of the universe. I was schooled in the ways, and I spoke with my life force. I dared to seek the creator itself, I found her standing on the edge of time looking onward, with every gaze we expanded.

What was it's purpose? Why? And I felt love. I looked upon creation with my soul, my will- to cosmic energy and divine thought.

Love is the law.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:I had a dream that I tamed me a bear, and I named him Glory.

Glory and I traveled far and wide bringing stories and peppermint candies to the people. How the children would stare, when I entered with Glory the bear.

I cast my staff over the ledge of the mountain, my heart, it stops and I lay on the ground looking at the sky, the stars are green and red, the blackness of the night sky turned violet and I was visited by my guardian, and she took me up and I saw the souls of mankind, I saw the beams of the spirits of everything of the universe. I was schooled in the ways, and I spoke with my life force. I dared to seek the creator itself, I found her standing on the edge of time looking onward, with every gaze we expanded.

What was it's purpose? Why? And I felt love. I looked upon creation with my soul, my will- to cosmic energy and divine thought.

Love is the law.
Quite beautiful in its simplicity and sensitivity. Is this your work or something from others? What ever it is I enjoyed it very much.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Moonshadow

Was just thinking (dangerous) and you likely don't have the land and all to build your own Stonehenge or approximation thereof. On the other hand, a couple of standing stones with a little Oriental style rock garden might make a relaxing little spot to sit out and relax. Live fish and waterfalls, up to you. :)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Quite beautiful in its simplicity and sensitivity. Is this your work or something from others? What ever it is I enjoyed it very much
Thanks!

What you just read was a small piece of a story that currently lives in my head. It is part of a greater story that some day I'm going to put to paper (or computer screen :wink: ) It's basically a story about a man (me) who gets tired of all the crap in the world, goes up on the mountain, performs a half hazard spiritual event (I dare say call it a "ritual") in desperation, whereas the stress of the event and world overtake him and he "dies".

Upon physical death his "eyes" open (not his real ones, the eyes of his soul) as he observes the world in which we as humans don't see. He is almost immediately visited by his guardian (angel) who explains what's going on, what has happened, etc, and begins to take him on a journey to unravel the mysteries of the cosmos, and of God.

It was never finished (how can it be... really?) and I never really got out of the first chapter and I have since even deleted that- due to stressful circumstances. Someday I might take it up again and work on it, as it is essentially, the "Moon Shadow Bible", or "Book of Shadows". I really should write it out as it would make an excellent keep-sake for Amber for when her old man does actually die. She'll have a little piece of my heart and soul to reflect on. But for now, all that remains is little tidbits like the one above that float around in my neurons and bubble up on late nights when I'm feeling spiritual.
Darryl wrote:Was just thinking (dangerous) and you likely don't have the land and all to build your own Stonehenge or approximation thereof. On the other hand, a couple of standing stones with a little Oriental style rock garden might make a relaxing little spot to sit out and relax. Live fish and waterfalls, up to you.
Indeed, I need to make a ritual spot. I've been carefully observing the backyard for a while now scoping one out.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

moonshadow wrote:I really should write it out as it would make an excellent keep-sake for Amber for when her old man does actually die. She'll have a little piece of my heart and soul to reflect on.
HA! I just got to thinking, I thought about putting it to wordpress, A blog dedicated to this story alone (no other type of post), watch it in a few thousand years.... someone will find it and form a religion out of it! :lol:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:... watch it in a few thousand years.... someone will find it and form a religion out of it! :lol:
That has happened with worse visions.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am working (sporadicly) to complete one sewing project, but I have started to think about my next experiment.

I am thinking of a dress with two segments-bodice and skirt.

I would loosely base the bodice on the caftan I did a few years back. Which basically had holes for the arms and head. The bodice, however, would end at the waist.

For the skirt I would make a circle skirt. I would make a fabric doughnut and then sew it to the bottom of the bodice.

I would plan for a garment that you can pull on over your head, like a T shirt.

While some dress styles are given specific names, I don't know what you would call this.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:58 pmI am thinking of a dress with two segments-bodice and skirt.
That's old thinking indeed. Take a look at the late 1800s for inspiration. Most of the "dresses" at the time were, in fact, in two pieces -- bodice and skirt -- and handily allowed bodices to be swapped out depending on the need of the occasion.
For the skirt I would make a circle skirt. I would make a fabric doughnut and then sew it to the bottom of the bodice.
Don't sew the two together. They will work just fine if fit well, and will allow the flexibility to swap one or the other out when whim dictates.

Some fitting of the bodice is required to produce a decent line; if the whole thing can go on over the head (and shoulders) then what one has is a muumuu, and those are generally somewhat reviled once more than a few yards from a beach (like crapis and flip-flops should be). The skirt will need some fastening to keep it above the hips, but late 1800s skirts were usually donned over-the-head so as not to interfere with the petticoats that were popular at the time. If I'm wearing a petti even in the 21st Century the skirt goes "up and over" and is caught on the way down and fastened, then smoothed over the petticoat for the finished look.