Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Sinned »

Yes, Fred, I've noticed the kilt wearing in Forged In Fire. Seems to be mainly utilikilts. The proportion seems to be higher than for the general population.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:Yes, Fred, I've noticed the kilt wearing in Forged In Fire. Seems to be mainly utilikilts. The proportion seems to be higher than for the general population.
In last nights show the contestant was wearing a Utilikilt for the working part and a regular kilt for the final testing of the knives.
I think that these people are considered HE-MEN by most of the viewing public, so it gives a good presentation for the wearing of kilts to the general public.

Now all we need is for some of them to wear actual skirts on the show..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Now all we need is for some of them to wear actual skirts on the show..
Kilts are an actual type of skirt...
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Post by familyman34 »

After a long break, I'm here again.

I went away on holiday in January to Tasmania with my wife (who disapproves of skirts, unfortunately). When the shorts supply ran out, I had to get some additional clothes for the bottom half, and, because it was still nicely folded up, accidentally pulled what probably was the only skirt half-way down a uniformly coloured pile of shorts in Big W (the super-sized version of Woolworths - they tried to have branches in the UK, but they all closed a bit before the time when the UK Woollies went bankrupt).

When next morning I came to put on what I thought was my new pair of shorts, I found myself in front of my wife in the middle of our motel room holding up an unexpected short hiking skirt, with built-in shorts - the weather was glorious outside, and she so wanted to go out for a long walk/hike that she reluctantly consented to me wearing them. And that was the first day of five when the skirt got a quick wash in the evening, ready for the next day. It was so good! The Nut at Stanley, shopping in Smithton, various walks around Edith Creek, Deloraine, Low Head and Georgetown, then across to Bicheno on the East Coast, and a full day exploring the Freycinet National Park. No noticeable reaction anywhere except for a few looks from the Chinese visitors who were there en masse for their Chinese New Year holidays ... but "travel broadens the mind".

My wife's gone off to visit her sister over the current Bank Holiday and I'm alone, so I decided to go out for a walk today through Gorleston (just south of Gt. Yarmouth) and along the beach. Weather cold and blustery, with passing showers. After walking right across the town and visiting several shops, and then about an hour walking along the strand-line, I decided to return along the cliffs back to the car. On the way I passed the Gorleston Cliffs Bowling Club (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.56392 ... !1e3?hl=en) - about 20 middle-aged and elderly locals, playing earnestly, all in trousers (male and female) except one tall man, probably in his 50s or 60s, standing talking to two others while other players were changing ends, who was wearing a rather formal grey skirt, just below knee-length, 4 or 6 box pleats; it looked like the bottom half of an office skirt-suit, but over-long for most women. Because of the hedge separating the bowling green from the pavement where I was passing, he couldn't see my skirt, but I feel it would have been much more suitable for him - about the same length as his, also with 4 box pleats, but in a fairly heavy demin. But I wasn't going to exchange!

So I went back to my car, passing back through the town, and then home to the warm and dry.
Familyman34
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

TO: Family Man. Too bad you didn't take the chance to meet the gentleman with the skirt. I might have been a good experience for each of you and he might have been able to tell you where there are more guys with skirts. I have met only one man with a skirt who I had a chance to talk and discuss with. He and his wife were on a hiking trail. They were tourists from Canada. I have seen men in skirts, usually hiking/backpacking, but didn't try talking to them. I just walked by in the opposite direction and gave them thumbs up.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Familyman,
The skirt that our bowler friend was wearing sounds like a regulation one. They are specifically designed to allow the wearer to deliver the bowl correctly.
Some clubs will still insist on them being worn on the greens. I have worn one and they really are most comfortable.
Steve.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

I saw a man in a traditional kilt board a Ryanair flight to Stansted in Bratislava this morning. Since he was sitting not far from me, I could hear him talking to a neighbour passenger; he turned out to actually be from Scotland, visiting parents of his wife who’s Slovak. I haven’t had a chance to chat to him, sadly (I was wearing a skirt, but in any case I wasn’t sure he would approve).
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

I saw a man in a fairly short skirt and tights (or stockings) at Craven Arms station yesterday.

John
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

I feel we are on the verge of a revolution!
welshcrossdresser

Post by welshcrossdresser »

I confess it was me at Craved Arms train station; Wednesday's is my day in Ludlow, having a few weeks off but I'll be back on the 12th. Don't be shy, say hello!

Rob
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

One member sees another completely by chance. Is this a first?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Sighted in the National Gallery of Scotland today a male employee with a topknot, loose "Jacobean" style shirt, and calf-length black silk(?) skirt. I can't remember if he had tights or black socks, with Dr Martens or similar shoes. He was chatting happily to various visitors without comment on his dress (as far as I could tell).

I didn't get a chance to talk as I was with my wife who didn't notice and would probably disapprove.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

skirtyscot wrote:One member sees another completely by chance. Is this a first?
I had one member come into my workplace some time back. Can't remember if he identified himself at the time, or I caught his post on here.
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

I was in a pub in Ludlow one summer evening in June 2016 and a young chap wearing a long dress stopped his car to use an ATM across the road , the barman said he thought it was all wrong , but myself and the barmaid thought he looked great .
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

skirtyscot wrote:One member sees another completely by chance. Is this a first?
I used to play hockey with one!