Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Sightings "in the wild"

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog brought this up in a separate thread -- which has gone on to other things due to natural "thread drift", but it's a notion that makes sense on a couple of levels. For one, it'd be interesting to have a compendium of sightings in a central location and also to serve as a bit of a barometer indicating the overall density "on the ground" of skirted men.

As an experiment, I'm going to make this thread "sticky" so it stays near the top of the list and I'm going to ask that folks merely post their observations -- sightings, if you will -- describing outfit and location. As part of the experiment, I'd like to take discussion of things related to another thread if circumstances dictate; I'm not going to enforce this with an iron fist, but thread drift here will get viewed with a rather jaundiced eye.

To start the ball rolling, I'll offer the only sighting I have ever observed of a "bloke in a skirt" (other than "arranged meets"). This happened, I believe in the 1980s when I was still doing travelling computer-repair (the genteel call this "Field Engineering") on the Boston (MA/USA) subway system and involved an otherwise perfectly masculine-looking chap who'd swapped his trousers for a long white skirt.. The details are a bit fuzzy in the temporal distance, but I do recall that it was a miserably hot day and that I though that he must be one heck of a lot more comfortable than I was at the time.

It's kind of scary that this was likely better than twenty years into the past....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by AMM »

1. Contra dances, especially: (a) dance festivals, such as NEFFA and Dance Flurry, and (b) certain venues, such as Guiding Star Grange (Greenfield, MA)

2. Princeton Reunions, last year: I saw one young man with an ankle-length tie-dyed skirt. Also some (male) Princeton U. Band members march (each year) in a pleated skirt made of P.U. Band print fabric. The latter could pass as a "kilt," for a sufficiently generous interpretation of "kilt."

I'm not counting people in Scottish/Irish-style kilts, as I see them every now and then in NYC or on the train to/from NYC.
Brandy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brandy »

I was at the Makers Faire in San Mateo, CA a few weekends ago. There were at least 6 Utilikilts and I thought I saw at least one man-in-skirt, I do not know for sure as it was a last second side ways glimpse.

I mentioned it to my friend up from Long Beach, CA. She says around Los Angleses you see men-in-skirts all the time nothing new there.

-- Brandy
kiltsrawesome

Post by kiltsrawesome »

I believe I posted in the other sightings thread that had changed topic, sorry. I didn't see this one until afterwards. :oops:

I'll describe the college kids skirt more: It appeared to be various older/used T-shirts sewn together to make a full skirt with an uneven hem that landed just below the knees. He had knee length black and white socks on with black shoes. I think he was going for the goth look, and overall I thought he looked cool with it. (I personally prefer more 'kilt' looking skirts myself)
Wearing a skirt makes everything fun!
Rich_L

Post by Rich_L »

This might be cheating but last winter on the airplane to Florida I sat next to an Indian male wearing hat I would callan everyday plaid sarong.

Last summer I saw a man golfing in a Utilakilt

Edit to correct spelling
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

In the Florida Keys, other than a homeless man who likes a black silk skirt that he wears from 2 weeks to a month without washing it with a University of Miami black fleece sweater and women's 3 inch pointy toe high heel shoes, that I see from time to time on my way to or from the grocery store, the only skirted man I see this side of Key West (which has several dozen transvestites) is me in the mirror before I go out in the morning of the days I need to do errands. :faint:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

ok. first discounting the obvious:

renn fairs
tranny events
gay pride parades
foreign cultures (sulus, sarongs, dashiki, middle-eastern garb, ect...)
myself
halloween
punk clubs and concerts
tv (where the unusual is gold)

in 50 years i've seen 1 man in a skirt-ish item. he used to walk the sky-way in minneapolis when i was doing security there a few years ago. his typical outfit was:
cowboy hat
button-down shirt (usually western-looking)
vest
tutu (yep, you heard me. the stiff, frilly things ballerina's wear. kinda frothy and stick straight 1 foot at the waist)
tights
cowboy boots

he was fairly short, maybe 5'8". and the most bow-legged person i've ever seen outside of a cartoon. he also had a large, grey beard.

that's it.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JRMILLER »

I spotted two guys in the Tuscon airport in utilikilts and Hawaiian shirts. My wife thinks they must have been gay. I didn't get that impression -- but how can you really tell unless you ask?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

In Key West, where I used to live prior to 1998, you'd see an average of 5 guys in skirts etc. a week if you went to the "Celebration of the Sunset" at the foot of Mallory Square every night. Usually, it wasn't even the same guys. This was around the time of the beginning of the Utilikilts company and only the company where, as I understand it, employees must wear Utilikilts for work, could one go and see more utilikilts than at Key West. Also at that time, the Mayor of Key West, the only openly gay Mayor in the history of the Keys often wore a black Utilikilt not only to work but for a normal every day garment. Unfortunately, in 2004 he passed away from complications of AIDS. It's still a fairly commonplace thing to see men in skirts/kilts in Key West. :D

Only me and the homeless guy are regular skirt wearers in Marathon. :alien: (I live alone and would take him in if he'd give up drugs and booze. He splits his sleeping time between the dumpster behind the grocery store and jail.) :alien:

On actors in roles on TV, the new series on HBO "True Blood" has a black cook at "Merlotte's" restaurant named Lafayette who wears brown or black Utilikilts to work in. I think he's getting "turned" (for those not favoring vampire shows, "turned" means being bit and turned into one) on the next episode and won't be cooking there anymore.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Re: Utilikilts requring Utilikilts to be worn @ work

Yep, that is true. The only exception, is if you're injured and have to wear trousers or a pair of shorts while working. Heck, you can catch flak for wearing a traditional wool kilt if you come in to do work. Understandably so, since Utilikilts doesn't sell tartan wool kilts.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
stefan

Post by stefan »

In the last season of survivor in Sweden there was a guy that wore a skirt to the competitions. He also had a lot of piercings etc. I guess young people with piercings etc are more openminded than most other people. Except of course people in this forum. :D
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I guess young people with piercings etc are more openminded than most other people. Except of course people in this forum.
Stefan, I've suffered at least a 100 piercings in my life. nearly all fish hooks, knives and ice picks but piercings are piercings. 8)

stefan

Post by stefan »

Today I saw a man wearing a kind of work kilt looking like this. The guy had a lot of tools etc and were doing gardening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mipi
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mipi »

This is very good "work kilt" indeed.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mipi wrote:This is very good "work kilt" indeed.
Today there was another man at a construction site close to work that also had the same kilt.