Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by partlyscot »

Friday, we had a customer in green tartan kilt, or pleated skirt, not sure, we were very busy and I couldn't get to talk to him. :(
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Yes, you'd think the difference between a tartan kilt and a pleated plaid skirt would be pretty obvious but sometimes it does get fuzzy. I usually go by whether it's a wraparound with an apron or not but depending on angle, lighting, and distance, those can be hard to judge.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Saw a guy in his maybe early 40s in a shopping centre in Beenleigh, Queensland, wearing a brown lungi. He dressed it up well with the shirt and hat all coordinating . I wonder if it was another member from this forum?
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Saw a fellow in his late 20s/early 30s in Sydney last Friday evening while I was down there. He was in the Chinatown area, wearing an ankle length dark skirt and shirt with upper arms exposed, similar to a tank top but it wasn't. He was standing in a busy laneway talking to an attractive Asian woman of similar age.

I don't know if he was working in the area or just there with everyone else, getting something to eat at one of the stalls.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Portland is getting interesting again. I was in Fred's again today, mostly picking up gloves to donate to a center that serves houseless veterans. At $0.88 per pair I figured I could help a lot of guys for $12.
This came to mind because it's just below freezing and while for most of us on the forum that's no big deal, in Portland you'd think we got teleported to the North Pole! Even I feel that way and I grew up in Connecticut.
Anyway, while there I saw a fellow in a Utilikilt and sandals with no hose of any kind! I would have approached him, but I wasn't sure he'd appreciate being associated with a guy in a navy wool miniskirt, knee boots and a blouse.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Sightings "in the wild": Arisia 2017 sightings report...

Post by kingfish »

I went to a local science fiction convention over the past weekend called Arisia. It is a fan run conclave of all beings nerdy and geekly with an attendance of roughly 4000 (last year's numbers). And it sells itself as the northeast's largest and most diverse convention of this type.

I have to regretfully report that after the tenth or twelfth casually skirted man, I lost count. And by casually skirted I'm talking about guys not emulating female fictional characters (genderbent cosplayers), transgendered, or even the couple dozen kilted including yours truly.
I actually got more looks when I donned leggings and (black suede overknee style) high heeled boots, but that's a report for another thread.

In the 25 years I've been going to this "con", I have to say that this is the first time I've seen a population of ours that is above what could be called statistical noise. This convention has always had a philosophy of inclusion and high degree of civility. I don't remember going to one where there wasn't at least one MIS in attendance. But this year was different. It wasn't just one person satisfying his girlfriend's desires, breaking the gender stereotype, or taking their first steps at transitioning. It was a real, potentially measurable fraction of the population.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Kingfish,
May be a burgeoning acorn?
The Tree, time alone will tell.
Nice to hear some optimism from your side of the Pond!
In Aberdeen, we appear to have a Mini Kilter Guy. This is not my sighting, but the source is reliable.
No idea if said guy is a Cafe patron?
Steve.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

I was in our provincial museum today with the family, where I made note of two separate guys in kilts. The first fellows kilt was a simple dark red color. Very cool. I was wearing leggings myself today, but I may have to order one of those Utilikilts for myself! There is also a window washing company in Surrey BC called Men in Kilts. They've gotten some good publicity from that!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Science fiction fandom is notable for being different from the "mundane" majority.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild": Arisia 2017 sightings report...

Post by Grok »

kingfish wrote: I have to regretfully report that after the tenth or twelfth casually skirted man, I lost count. And by casually skirted I'm talking about guys not emulating female fictional characters (genderbent cosplayers), transgendered, or even the couple dozen kilted including yours truly.
this "con", I have to say that this is the first time I've seen a population of ours that is above what could be called statistical noise. This convention has always had a philosophy of inclusion and high degree of civility. I don't remember going to one where there wasn't at least one MIS in attendance. But this year was different. .
Perhaps it could be said that kilting had a head start?
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Went to a clothing-optional potluck dinner Saturday and met a couple dressed only in Utilikilts! The reason this was significant to me was that it was the first time I've seen a woman in a Utilikilt. Of course they both got my compliments.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Went to a clothing-optional potluck dinner Saturday and met a couple dressed only in Utilikilts! The reason this was significant to me was that it was the first time I've seen a woman in a Utilikilt. Of course they both got my compliments.
Sounds like a good message of gender equality.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Went to a clothing-optional potluck dinner Saturday and met a couple dressed only in Utilikilts! The reason this was significant to me was that it was the first time I've seen a woman in a Utilikilt. Of course they both got my compliments.
Nice! Did you get the details of the make? I know some kilt makers offer ones specifically for women, though they tend to be shorter. I realise there is no reason for the women to avoid the men's version, any more than the guy should avoid a woman's skirt, just curious which option they took.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

They were genuine Utilikilts made by Utilikilt. I saw the name on a pocket...
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
skirttime

Post by skirttime »

Stumptown Kilts in Portland makes women's kilts. Two lengths, both shorter than those specified for guys. One other difference though. Their waistbands are conical, whereas the guys' kilts tend to be cylindrical.