Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Derek Plattis »

Bikerkilt wrote:I don't know I zoom out to 500 and can see the lines on the floor.
That's what I thought. This photo has been tampered with somehow. Something, but I'm not sure what, has been removed.

Derek
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Derek Plattis wrote:
Bikerkilt wrote:I don't know I zoom out to 500 and can see the lines on the floor.
That's what I thought. This photo has been tampered with somehow. Something, but I'm not sure what, has been removed.

Derek
It appears that this has been photo shopped - the folks in the distance are casting shadows on the tile - where this individual
is placed I don't discern a shadow or even a hint of one.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

r.m.anderson wrote:It appears that this has been photo shopped - the folks in the distance are casting shadows on the tile - where this individual is placed I don't discern a shadow or even a hint of one.
I just took another look at the image, and whilst there's not really enough to work with properly I have no reason to believe that it's a fabrication. I also played some local tricks to stretch the contrast which pointed out some other things in the image.

(1) The "shadows" actually aren't -- those are reflections on the marble floor.
(2) There actually is a shadow of the guy's legs extending towards the right of the photograph. This has to be contrast-stretched to really be seen.
(3) It definitely looks like he's holding something in his right hand (photograph left) that's at his thigh and is light enough to be indiscernible digitally from the floor-tiles behind him. It might be a Photoshop job, but if it is it's a really incompetent one.

My verdict is "innocent until proven guilty". (And I know how to fake photographs.)

Finally, it's a shot of a guy in a skirt in a public setting. Are all of us going to deny being in public settings?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl... It looks to me as if he is holding something in the palm of his hand....the white object shows white at his hip and reaches
to his bicept....object might be a rolled newspaper or something of that flat shape.

Every picture tells a story and the camera never tells a lie....................
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Every picture tells a story and the camera never tells a lie.
True enough, what emerges from the camera does not lie -- It's what one does to it afterwards. :twisted:

On a meta-level, and somewhat philosophically, I rather suspect that the only thing that really outright lies to any extent is man -- or, as Mark Twain said about blushing, has a need to. Devices, unless they're horribly deranged, cannot.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Every picture tells a story and the camera never tells a lie....................
I read an interview of a photographer a while back who insisted that a photo ALWAYS lies. It only shows a snapshot out of context, never the whole story, essentially a lie by omition.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

It looks tampered with, to me.

Another thing that bugs me is that Skirtcraft is
using to photo as advertising for their product.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Dust wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:
I read an interview of a photographer a while back who insisted that a photo ALWAYS lies. It only shows a snapshot out of context, never the whole story, essentially a lie by omition.
Does the photographer record images of life as he sees life, or life as he wishes to see life ?

Go into your favourite café one day and sit in your favourite seat ...Look at the group sitting at the table by the window.

Look through the glass of the window and see the world ,as it is visible outside the window.

One can see what one wishes to see and disgard what one does not wish to see.

Members of the human race may be 20 feet away.....The clouds may be 500 miles away. ......The view is continually changing........

Look at the photographs in two of the daily newspapers in the café. .....the photos are different in each newspaper....

You may be sitting in the café as a...... "man in a skirt ".....where will you find the latest images of a " Man in a Skirt " ?
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

So some sightings in the wild over the holiday break here in Tokyo.

1. Koenji - One of the indie fashionable music spots in Tokyo. A town where you see alternative fashion all the time. Saw one guy, likely late 40's in a long floor length ethnic skirt.
2. Shibuya - Very fashionable district for younger people in central Tokyo. Saw three guys in skirts in one outing. a. cross dressing guy with his girlfriend. Purple dress. b. Mode Kei (mode fashion) long Yohji Yamamoto ( I think ) skirt. c. Guy in a punkish short skirt over jeans in Shibuya.
3. Yokohama - Young guy in a straight black skirt with slender shirt and coat over.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

KellyRain wrote:So some sightings in the wild over the holiday break here in Tokyo.

1. Koenji - One of the indie fashionable music spots in Tokyo. A town where you see alternative fashion all the time. Saw one guy, likely late 40's in a long floor length ethnic skirt.
2. Shibuya - Very fashionable district for younger people in central Tokyo. Saw three guys in skirts in one outing. a. cross dressing guy with his girlfriend. Purple dress. b. Mode Kei (mode fashion) long Yohji Yamamoto ( I think ) skirt. c. Guy in a punkish short skirt over jeans in Shibuya.
3. Yokohama - Young guy in a straight black skirt with slender shirt and coat over.
KellyRain thank you for your varied sightings in the wild ...what are your current daytime temperatures .

In current Southern U. K. ours are 8 to 10 C ...I am currently wearing two below the knee summer skirts ,knee length boots,
a sports jacket and over jacket
In my part of the world ,...sightings in the wild are an unusual occurrence
I was in Falmouth at the maritime Museum today...the biggest natural harbour and sea port in the south west....
In the 1880s there were 800 sailing ships reporting inbound every month.............yesterday even the shoppers and sightseers
were thin on the ground in the cool winter wind.
From the third story look out tower in the Museum , I could look down on 3 Admiralty Ships in the Dock Yard and see much of the
waterfront and harbour...one of the largest natural harbours in the world....defended by two castles.

From this port in 1968....Sir Robin Knox Johston was the first yachtsman to sail singlehanded 30,000 miles around the world
with a ton of tinned food onboard his yacht ....
An interesting adventure for a 30 year old Sea Captain and Master Mariner in the Indian Merchant Navy
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

I loved the story of the port. I love 18th and 19th century history, fashion, stories and more. Would love to see your port some day.

It is about 12C in the day time on a good day, 5 on a cold day. Nights are often near 0 these days.

Skirt sightings are getting more frequent here thanks to "Mode Kei", young men wearing high fashion from Comme des Garsons, Yohji Yamamoto
and a hand full of Korean and Japanese indie fashion makers. Mostly ages 18-35 or so. But I also see some older guys now and then in kilts,
ethnic long skirts or dark fashion.

There is also a very strong cross dressing community here. Mostly straight young men who have fallen in love with the "kawaii" (cute) Japanese
girl's fashion and want in on it. So I often see cross dressing guys in Shinjuku or Shibuya. But they are distinctively cross dressing and not
exploring skirts for men as fashion. Cosplay is also popular here so there is some of that as well.

For a straight guy to wear a skirt here and still present as male is still rare given that we have 38mil people in Kanto and I see maybe one or two a week.
But there is interest and it looks like it could improve.

There are several mall shops that sell progressive men's fashion that had skirts for men for Fall 2018. $200 items on average. And just this past week
I bought a Comme des Garsons men's wrap skirt 2nd hand in a brand reseller. They had several skirts in the shop and one of the guys working there was in a long
Yohji skirt. So there is a lot of hope.

Japan often leads the world in fashion in recent decades. What the young people create here often ends up being copied and refined for the runways of the world.
And very often ends up in pop culture.

Right now young women are getting heavily into genderless looks. Short boyish hair, 80's inspired shapeless fashion, clunky masculine shoes and very plain make up.
This look lives side by side with the Korean and Chinese inspired ultra-girly and there seems to be a battle between the two for the hearts and minds of young female
fashionistas. So this is also helping. Guys are also getting interested in gender neutral fashion and that means I am seeing a lot more make up on young men and even older fashionable guys. And their clothing is almost exactly like the ladies genderless look that is so popular now.

So there is hope from Japan that skirts will spread for men. Never to the legions of suit wearing, tired salaryment ( which I am M-F ) but definitely to the more
quirky folks and younger men.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Kelly Rain for your comments on "men in skirts " in Japan......as a continuation on fashion shows in 2019 I feel the following is worthy of note.
There is an interest in " Men in Skirts " on the catwalk this season.....January 2019............................ but wait....
I much preferred the skirt worn by a female model with her short sports socks and ankle high base ball boots........a sports style of footwear.......
worn with straight summer skirt flared below the knee.....

Perhaps this new female style will become more popular as a male skirt wearing fashion this summer......
baseball boots might become an alterative spring fashion footwear for "Men in Skirts "........weeladdie
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Some new sightings this week.

1. Long black skirt layered with wide pants and some very sleek shoes. Seen on the streets in Shinjuku. My friend thinks the guy was a local TV/Music star but could not place his name. His friends were dressed in very expensive Supreme fare, basically a brand releasing old New Wave band t-shirts for $250 or more. So very likely a group of entertainment guys. But still a skirt in those ranks is a good sign.

2. An older Japanese guy in a long green/yellow/blue tartan kilt and motor cycle boots. This is a guy I see from time to time in our area. He is very eccentric and has his own fashion sense. I love seeing what he comes up with next.

3. Older male in a wrap skirt over skinny jeans with a very nice leather jacket. I think this guy may be an artist. Saw him at a train station on my way to a client's office mid day. Looked like he was in the middle of his working day, laptop in one hand and a satchel in the other. Beard, cap and what looked like high end sneakers like T-3 or something along those lines.

Not bad for a week during which I've only ventured out twice. I really do think this year is the year it breaks barriers in Japan and maybe across Asia. All we need is one Korean pop band or J-pop star to turn up on TV and stage and it will force the fashion makers here to dive in for commercial sales. So hoping. After all, what the kids do here inspires the industry world wide a year or two later.
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Hi Guys,

A small victory for men in skirts today.

I went to Harajuku and Omotesando today, two of Tokyo's fashion districts. I went to check out sales at a couple 2nd hand shops that often have designer men's skirts.
Sadly I didn't find anything good today. But I did get stopped by a press crew on my way to one of the shops. They asked some questions about the Yohji kilt I was wearing, took
some photos and say they will likely publish the images. I got to exchange biz cards and hope to follow up.

And I was far from the only guy in a skirt today.

In Zara there was a young man in a very long ankle length brown wool skirt shopping with his friends. On the street I saw two young men in long skirt pants that are hard to tell
from skirts unless you watch carefully. Then in another shopping building in Shibuya I saw a very fashionable young man in a wide A line skirt with soft wide pleats. All told today. 4 guys in skirts of various styles and cuts, 2 guys in skirt pants that looked like skirts. All in a 3 kilometer walking range.

It is spreading guys!!! I will share the link for the photos with the press crew if and when they go online.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Sounds good and promising!

When I was in Tokyo in 2011 and 2013 including the districts Harajuku and Omotesando, I didn't see any men in kilts or skirts. But a lot of teenage girls in mini-kilts in various tartans.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.