Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Big and Bashful »

Judging by mine, a kilt is an over-priced skirt, which weighs about 1/2 a ton, has no pockets and so much pleated wool that it is like sitting on a cushion, if you get the pleats arranged well enough! It is also increasingly tight around the gut, although that is probably my fault! unplanned expansion seems to be a thing these days!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Big and Bashful wrote:Judging by mine, a kilt is an over-priced skirt, which weighs about 1/2 a ton, has no pockets and so much pleated wool that it is like sitting on a cushion, if you get the pleats arranged well enough! It is also increasingly tight around the gut, although that is probably my fault! unplanned expansion seems to be a thing these days!
Amen, Bro. It’s a bit of a ridiculous garment in practical terms. As opposed to a skirt, I see the kilt, in practicality, as little more than a surrogate penis. I suppose it has some traditional place, like the cummerbund has a place in wedding tuxedos. I wouldn’t wear a tuxedo daily, nor would I wear a kilt in that manner.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

On the other hand, I always find that sticking the full kilt and regalia on makes me feel like a lot of dollars, with the formal argyll jacket, skian dhu (sorry about the spellink!) formal shoes etc. the full set looks really good. There aren't many excuses to go formal these days, but when I wee the English formal wear, ludicrous head gear (top hat type thing) and a suit of some description, I think it looks so mundane, give me my kilt and I would feel so superior, until the waistline starts to squeeze and I start wishing I had eaten a lot less pies! The kilt is about right but I need a longer belt!
I did buy a long black skirt, nice smooth fabric, I think of it as a pant, instead of a pair of pants. It would be good as working wear if I ever decide to start skirting to work, that is very unlikely though.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Knickson

Post by Knickson »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Knickson wrote:Its Just using the one name for Kilts and the similar skirts ,

Please explain how you can use ...." one name for Kilts and the similar skirts, " ....?
As far as I am aware The Kilt and the skirt are normally worn by different genders.
In my experience in a Scottish Kilt wearing community , the male wears the Traditional Scottish Kilt
and the female wears a female skirt.....

I would strongly advise you not to try to discuss this matter if you are unaware of the difference between
The Traditional Scottish Kilt and a skirt.
And what would you do to me ? I have heard many Scots call a mini skirt a ```mini kilt`` when a kilt is on its a skirt in effect ,no big deal take a chill pill.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

As a Scot I think we get far too uptight about this.

A kilt is a type of skirt. Gender has nothing to do with the definition but a traditional heavy kilt tends to be worn by men. Only it isn't really much of a tradition - it is a modern invention in its current form. And modern tartans were thought up by a couple of fantasists on an island in a river in the Highlands. It is all based on tradition, but rather loosely.

There are women's kilts. They are made from much lighter material and if I remember rightly have the open bit on the other side. If you don't believe me look in any branch of the Edinburgh Woollen Mill. You can get them in a range of lengths whereas the male version just comes in one length. Maybe the recent trend for male kilts in non-tartan colourways and in different materials ought to explore different lengths too.

Anyway, it's no big deal. I have had more witless 'feedback' from strangers when wearing a kilt than I ever have from wearing a non-kilted skirt.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

rivegauche wrote:I have had more witless 'feedback' from strangers when wearing a kilt than I ever have from wearing a non-kilted skirt.
Same here. I wonder if it's because people are afraid to mention the skirt, where with a kilt they can say stupid stuff like, "Whatcha wearing underneath?"
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Mike wrote:
rivegauche wrote:I have had more witless 'feedback' from strangers when wearing a kilt than I ever have from wearing a non-kilted skirt.
Same here. I wonder if it's because people are afraid to mention the skirt, where with a kilt they can say stupid stuff like, "Whatcha wearing underneath?"
I've never had very much comment. I think mostly people either don't know what to say, or are just being polite by pretending not to notice me. One guy kept asking me about being a Scot when I wore a plaid woolen skirt, which was clearly not a kilt. I had to explain the difference. it seemed difficult for him to grasp that a man would wear a skirt...as a man...without the intent of cross-dressing, and without it being some ancient cultural thing. And a lady, upon seeing me in a brown ankle-length corduroy skirt, once said "I think I need a skirt like yours." Otherwise, it has been comments whispered between people, followed by muted laughter. You just have to get used to it and move on.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:[...] And a lady, upon seeing me in a brown ankle-length corduroy skirt, once said "I think I need a skirt like yours."
I'd call that a positive encounter!

One of the wait staff at my local, a friend of hers, and I have a fairly long-running exchange about one of my peacock skirts that I picked up in Provincetown a few years ago -- as it turns out that she had looked at the same skirt a few hours before and had put it back on the rack. I came by some time after that, and it struck my fancy, so I bought it -- completely unaware of what that was going to set up. It's been a lot of fun since.

I'd like to think I've inspired folks -- both male and female -- to visit (or revisit) the idea of skirts, but I really cannot say with any degree of confidence whether I have or not.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Noticed a man in a black Utilikilt on a bicycle.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Another older (maybe mid 50s or so) seen walking with his (assume) wife in Queen St mall, central Brisbane last Saturday wearing a wool kilt and I think black T shirt. I don't think he was wearing a sporran.
Just caught a quick glimpse as we passed nothing more.

Kilts and utility kilts seem to be getting an airing around Brisbane, Australia.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Unconfirmed sighting, last night I saw some one in a mid brown dress and knee high boots. In one of our big box grocery store.
I never did hear his her voice to make a confirmation. Something about the stride said masculine. Facial features were no help, as to best close up view was a profile and then from the back.
Couldn't see make up or 5 o'clock shadow for that matter. Either way it was a nice pairing of dress and Boots
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

https://flic.kr/p/2h8VoCc

Nice guy I ran into while walking around in Roanoke. Skirt is a little tattered, but a skirt nonetheless. He's a wanderer walking through across nation with his dog and girlfriend.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:https://flic.kr/p/2h8VoCc

Nice guy I ran into while walking around in Roanoke. Skirt is a little tattered, but a skirt nonetheless. He's a wanderer walking through across nation with his dog and girlfriend.
I’ll assume the dog and girlfriend were not one and the same... :shock:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I envied his life. We had a short discussion about his travels. He said he got kicked out of his home at the age of 15 and has been living this way for 7 years now. The woman he travels with got him off of drugs.

He's very well spoken, with a good vocabulary, no slurring or "crazy talk". His cardboard sign just said "BROKE AND HAPPY".

He is a true human being, probably more human than 99.99999999% of everyone else. He wears no shoes, his skirt was simple and rugged. I imagine his carbon footprint is near zero. He minded his own business, I was the one who approached him.

I visited him again an hour later, his dog now asleep on the sidewalk beside him. I bid him farewell, shook his hand again and wished him safe travels. He smiled and thanked me. I asked if I could buy his lunch, he graciously accepted and I handed him a $20 bill.

Godspeed my friend!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Moon, with your attitude and gesture, you can subtract a few decimals from that percentage. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak