Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby weeladdie18 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Please can someone give me the sterling rate for $ 16 .....I would expect to pay £15 per hour. ....one problem might be the lead time
for completing the required work.....I am now getting exited regarding the idea of having a male style skirt made to my requirements.
It takes 20 hours to hand stitch a Kilt. How long does it take to make a skirt and secondly a Jacket ? ............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby weeladdie18 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Perhaps the answer is to get into a weekly sewing group with my sewing machine . Could be a new winter experience.....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby lazerr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:20 pm

As far as having clothes custom made, I highly recommend using AliExpress. I have had suits and shorts made and, while it takes a while,your design is custom sewn, with almost any cloth, and made to your measurements. Reasonable prices considering...
lazerr
Active Member
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:40 pm
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby johnb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 pm

weeladdie18 wrote:Please can someone give me the sterling rate for $ 16 .....I would expect to pay £15 per hour. ....one problem might be the lead time
for completing the required work.....I am now getting exited regarding the idea of having a male style skirt made to my requirements.
It takes 20 hours to hand stitch a Kilt. How long does it take to make a skirt and secondly a Jacket ? ............weeladdie


I had a straight forward wrap around skirt made. The were some tucks required and they added a patch pocket. I believe it took about an hour, and it cost £25.

John
johnb
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:57 am
Location: Craven Arms, Shropshire.

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby weeladdie18 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks John sounds a reasonable price I must explore the local services.....I noticed plenty of cheap patterns in a local charity shop recently.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby kilty » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Not so much "in the wild", but off the Net... Twitter searches can be useful...

In London at the Tube station within the last week or so
7981001_th____4_jpeg6f1fd2f64f1326119166b24dbe1533b1.jpg


dude staring at him, but he could be frowning due to strong sunlight :mrgreen:

And even further afield in a bank in Lagos, Nigeria
7980998_th___1_jpeg39cd8b26048c414f545772dc452716c5.jpg


I like the guy's skirt and bag... It seems no one bothered him which was good :wink:
kilty
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: w london

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Grok » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:25 pm

I got a glimpse of a man wearing what appeared to be a pencil skirt, as he walked by me.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1521
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:21 am

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Caultron » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:54 am

kilty wrote:...dude staring at him, but he could be frowning due to strong sunlight...

If you're a guy and wear a skirt in public, a percentage of the people around you are going to notice.

So what?

The onlooker in the photo isn't going to beat the skirt-wearer up; he's trying to reconcile the idea of a man wearing a skirt with his world view. So demonstrate confidence and let him.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 3995
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby greenboots » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 pm

This guy’s story is amazing, but my eye was caught by a bystander about 2:10

https://www.facebook.com/100008145000364/posts/2254693268145485/

I tried to find this somewhere else online for those who aren’t on Facebook.

Steven

Edit: just found the same video on YouTube. See 00:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCguq3hTC2M
User avatar
greenboots
Active Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby beachlion » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 am

greenboots wrote:This guy’s story is amazing, but my eye was caught by a bystander about 2:10

https://www.facebook.com/100008145000364/posts/2254693268145485/

I tried to find this somewhere else online for those who aren’t on Facebook.

Steven

Edit: just found the same video on YouTube. See 00:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCguq3hTC2M


It looked like a skirt at first but when he is moving around, it is clearly a pair of long shorts. But I like the idea of this kind of spontaneous entertainment.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
User avatar
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am
Location: Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby greenboots » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm

Oh, how disappointing! :|

Although it shows that moving from wearing the current fashions in shorts to the wearing of skirts is not really that far. Several times recently I’ve thought a guy was wearing a skirt, only to be disappointed as he drew nearer. I guess it’s all in the mind!

Steven
User avatar
greenboots
Active Member
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby crfriend » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 pm

greenboots wrote:Although it shows that moving from wearing the current fashions in shorts to the wearing of skirts is not really that far. Several times recently I’ve thought a guy was wearing a skirt, only to be disappointed as he drew nearer. I guess it’s all in the mind!

Indeed, some of these very wide and floaty shorts are to all intents and purposes split-skirts. All that needs to disappear is the inseam.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 9524
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby beachlion » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm

The fact that it looked like that guy was wearing a skirt in broad daylight without realizing it should encourage more male to wear skirts. It proofs that the male fear for skirts is mainly between your ears. So maybe the skort route is good one to test the water.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
User avatar
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am
Location: Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby partlyscot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:23 pm

greenboots wrote:Oh, how disappointing! :|

Although it shows that moving from wearing the current fashions in shorts to the wearing of skirts is not really that far. Several times recently I’ve thought a guy was wearing a skirt, only to be disappointed as he drew nearer. I guess it’s all in the mind!

Steven


Quite often, yes. It's also true the other way, my skirts have sometimes been taken for shorts.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Postby Kilted_John » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 pm

crfriend wrote:Indeed, some of these very wide and floaty shorts are to all intents and purposes split-skirts. All that needs to disappear is the inseam.


The JNCO jeans that were popular with the high school crowd in the early 2000s were essentially long culottes/split skirts. Would be extremely easy to convert to a skirt.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
User avatar
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:07 am
Location: Duvall, WA, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest