Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
floatingmetal

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by floatingmetal »

weeladdie18 wrote:I have only ever seen one of these garments being worn. I understand this garment is popular in the region of Seattle where it is marketed.
I certainly tend to only wear one of mine at a time... (or will, once I've lost a bit of waist again, oops)
weeladdie18 wrote:I have had two reports that purchasers have not found the garment comfortable to wear.
I personally find pleated garments take time to keep the pleats in order and it is not entirely comfortable sitting on pleats. weeladdie.
Depends on what they didn't find comfortable - as you say sitting on pleats, especially thick, heavy ones, isn't that comfy unless you can arrange them just so, which could cause more odd looks than wearing the thing in the first place. The Utilikilts I have are pretty thick, heavy material - they're more for working than flouncing around in. I have a Skirtcraft skirt too (and looking forward to the new model, hint, hint https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sk ... x-skirts-2) and that is a much better compromise if you want something hardwearing, decent pocket provision but not too heavy. Still a bit warm for the current London weather but it'll be out again when it cools off again.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:...I personally find pleated garments take time to keep the pleats in order and it is not entirely comfortable sitting on pleats...
Any sort of full skirt - kilts included - requires a bit of gathering against the back of the thighs before sitting down. But this is OK. People understand you're adjusting your clothes and not feeling up your butt.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Regarding the problems with pleats , putting on weight and the current warm weather ; I have found this year the answer is to wear a
lighter weight full summer skirt with the hem just below my knees and a draw string or elasticated waist..... found one in an Indian shop recently.

There are nice patterns in the Charity shops ..These garments are often unworn. So light one cannot feel any weight in the garment.
Ideal for the "man in a skirt........

Yesterdays temperature in South West Cornwall .....down from 30 C to 27 C .....now rushing to make an early start... I bet it is warm in London
and the South East..........weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:Regarding the problems with pleats , putting on weight and the current warm weather ; I have found this year the answer is to wear a
lighter weight full summer skirt with the hem just below my knees and a draw string or elasticated waist..... found one in an Indian shop recently.

There are nice patterns in the Charity shops ..These garments are often unworn. So light one cannot feel any weight in the garment.
Ideal for the "man in a skirt........

Yesterdays temperature in South West Cornwall .....down from 30 C to 27 C .....now rushing to make an early start... I bet it is warm in London
and the South East..........weeladdie
It is warm... but today we had a little rain so temps have dropped. Mini skirt today... no worry for pleats as it's bodycon :mrgreen:
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Did see a guy in a black UK in Lynnwood, Washington today, while I was driving. Was wearing an orange tank top and the usual black doc martens boots. A rather rare sighting, but I guess I'm not the only one out and about.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

This one is only a kilt in Scotland, so maybe not such a big deal, but the location was pretty unusual.

On holiday in Orkney, we went up to the top left-hand corner, where there is a tidal island called the Brough of Birsay. There, on the beach, were a man and a woman, he in a kilt. He was wearing it in a casual style, no sporran or other traditional regalia, with a showerproof jacket and sturdy shoes. It was a lightweight item, and the breeze was catching it enough that I could see it had a plain pale coloured lining.

She was in twin tubes, natch. As was everyone else in the vicinity, including me.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

I have been discussing with my wife what skirt to wear in September for our mini vacation in Santa Fe NM. She has given me permission and even encourages me to go for it with her by my side. It will be my first time in public so it is on my thoughts a lot. I was at Chicago O’Hare United terminal yesterday heading to the food court for a sandwich to go thinking about my upcoming adventure, when a man in a kilt walked in right before me! He was about 35-40 and was wearing some type of utility skirt came just below his knees. I wanted to say something but didn’t. I realized this was a great opportunity to watch for crowd reactions. I got my sandwich and stood back and watched people. As he stood in line I was looking for anyone to look over but nothing, no reaction from anyone. It was very crowded and he walked towards the table area zig zagging through people. I didn’t see even one person so much as glance back at him. He was completely ignored. This gave me much encouragement for my upcoming event. I’m hoping not to chicken out but we will see.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

mskirt wrote:I have been discussing with my wife what skirt to wear in September for our mini vacation in Santa Fe NM. She has given me permission and even encourages me to go for it with her by my side. It will be my first time in public so it is on my thoughts a lot. I was at Chicago O’Hare United terminal yesterday heading to the food court for a sandwich to go thinking about my upcoming adventure, when a man in a kilt walked in right before me! He was about 35-40 and was wearing some type of utility skirt came just below his knees. I wanted to say something but didn’t. I realized this was a great opportunity to watch for crowd reactions. I got my sandwich and stood back and watched people. As he stood in line I was looking for anyone to look over but nothing, no reaction from anyone. It was very crowded and he walked towards the table area zig zagging through people. I didn’t see even one person so much as glance back at him. He was completely ignored. This gave me much encouragement for my upcoming event. I’m hoping not to chicken out but we will see.
Today most people are too deeply into their own problems to worry about what some one else is wearing. As you saw nobody cares so wear what ever skirt you like and enjoy the freedom on your vacation. And with a supportive wife you are superman in a skirt. Lucky you!! :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mskirt wrote:I have been discussing with my wife what skirt to wear in September for our mini vacation in Santa Fe NM. She has given me permission and even encourages me to go for it with her by my side. It will be my first time in public so it is on my thoughts a lot...
That's wonderful that your wife supports your skirt-wearing. Many of us here wish we were so lucky.

As to public reaction, expect it to be pretty much none. A surprising number of people won't even notice, and the vast majority of those who do will give you a moment's glance and then move on. Just try to be friendly and confident, because if you shirk and skulk they'll be negative to that.

Santa Fe NM is a fairly artsy and touristy place and I'm sure no one will chide you for expressing yourself there.

When I travel I find it interesting not to bring any pants along at all. This obviously solves the issue of whether to wear a skirt to one destination or another, but it's also interesting to know my nearest pair of pants is some thousand miles away. But even if that's to much for you, at least bring more than one,and resolve to eventually wear one all day.

Good luck and enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

My choice when travelling is my most comfortable skirt. Probably a full skirt with the hem below the knee and no pleats to sit on.
A simple design which is easy to wear, looks smart and is easy to keep under control when seated for long periods......
Worn Grannie Style ....with the hem below the knees and seated with the knees apart and the skirt pushed down between the knees .....weeladdie
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Spotted in Marks & Spencer, Stratford upon Avon this afternoon (1525) - a stout chap in his early 50s, with a black utilikilt and boots. Solid, chunky look - respect due. He was with his wife, happily buying food for the weekend.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

At Sidmouth Folk Festival last week I heard a woman commenting on how many men were wearing skirts this year, she had seen several each day.  Undoubtedly some of them were in costume, but a lot seemed to be wearing them from preference.

At a dance I was asked by one of the men if I was wearing a skirt because it was comfortable; I said it was, and a chorus of women who had overheard the conversation enthusiastically endorsed this.  When I mentioned that I was also transgender, he seemed not to have thought of that as a possible explanation - which shows that this is not always an automatic assumption that cis-men-in-skirts need to fear.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Derek Plattis
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Derek Plattis »

In a pub in Dulverton, Devon, last Monday 13th August. I was on holiday there and there was a man standing at the bar wearing a black woolen pleated skirt or maybe it was a kilt, approximately knee length. I only saw the back of it. He was wearing walking boots with it I think. He was probably a local chap and a regular there. Unfortunately, I was wearing trousers.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I'll be in the Isle of Wight next week if anyone wants to spot me "in the wild"!!! I'll be in my grey tactical kilt!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: (Almost) Sightings "in the wild"

Post by beachlion »

I went to the beach today and on my way home, I stopped at a gas station for soda. When I was back in my car, another car tried to park backwards next to me. After 5 tries the driver was satisfied and left the car. The person was quite tall and for a second, seeing only the back side, I thought it was JeffB. That person was bald, wore earrings, had male-type shoes and a calf length dress with spaghetti straps. But from the side, when she turner around, it was definitely a woman. So my score is still one guy in a Utilikilt after all those years.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak