Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

They're out there, in Brisbane at least..
Last night I was checking the car tyre pressures at the local servo (Cannon Hill), and another bloke (looked like in his late 40s to early 50s) drove in to get another swap 9kg LPG bottle, from the distance where I was it looked like he was wearing a grey and red about ankle length sarong.

I couldn't see in detail as I was probably 20m away across the forecourt, and being about 8.30pm it was dark.

I've seen a couple of men around Brisbane, 5 or 6 around Cannon Hill, wearing skirted garments, and a couple in the city over the years...but still few and far between.

A few weeks ago my wife spotted a man in what could have been a sarong or Pacific Island lavalava in the shopping mall..
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Saw a man in Cheddar as I was driving through last week wearing a leather skirt with knee high boots and what I presume were black opaque tights.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I have seen, over the last 4-5 years, maybe a couple of dozen men in skirted garb of one sort or another. A few "goth" style long black things, often worn with pants. One long floaty dress, (from the train, it was the day of the pride parade) various utilikilts and formal tartan kilts, some other things as well. Not really had any face to face conversations, even though one very interesting tweed looking skirt suit I saw at work. Couldn't get to talk to him before he disappeared. Had several conversations with guys (and their wives sometimes) who have told me they wear skirts at home and around the house. Even met another SkirtCafe member at work. A couple of the younger guys at work have occasionally worn actual kilts to work since I started to wear skirt, I've heard one of the guys in the Vancouver store wears a kilt at times.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am a Newbie on this forum. I probably only see a sighting in the wild once a year in S. W. Cornwall U K. This frequency of sightings has not changed

in five years.................... The question I am asking is " Has anyone seen a change in the frequency of their sightings ? "

The reason I am asking this Question is that an increase in the number of sightings might indicate a greater interest in the

men in skirts fashion.

If I am correct.. this year we have one sighting in Somerset U K and two sightings in Australia.

I will be out again in one of my skirts in an hour or so. .....Happy Skirting ....weeladdie18
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Perhaps it has increased from one in 100,000 to one in 10,000. I was in Sydney for 2 weeks and must have seen at least 10,000 people over that time and did not see any other male in a skirt ...... I would have been the one in this case.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Denimini ...Thank you for your report from Sydney in Australia .....Your comments make me wonder how many trousered males I see when

I walk about 2miles through the streets of my local Cornish Sea Ports of Falmouth or Penzance on the S West coast of U.K.

I have been wearing Skirts or the Scottish Kilt for years . I am pretty streetwise and always look to see who is ahead of me.

I have never considered how many people I pass in a day in town.

Many years ago I went out with Lady who claimed to be second generation South Australian from Scotland.

She suggested that there were more Italians in South Australia then there were in Italy.

Have you ever met the Dills from the back of Burke ? ......... weeladdie18...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Not so much a sighting of a skirted bloke, but a new website advertising on Instagram. Mr Kirt http://www.mrkirt.eu
Mr._Kirt-5_1024x1024-1.jpg
Mr._Kirt-54_1024x1024.jpg
Mr._Kirt-50_1024x1024.jpg
But you will need deep pockets as most of these retail at the £200 mark :shock: though it is good to see another men's skirt supplier. I just buy women's ones for a fraction of the price :roll:
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

kilty wrote:Not so much a sighting of a skirted bloke, but a new website advertising on Instagram. Mr Kirt http://www.mrkirt.eu
Mr._Kirt-5_1024x1024-1.jpg
Mr._Kirt-54_1024x1024.jpg
Mr._Kirt-50_1024x1024.jpg
But you will need deep pockets as most of these retail at the £200 mark :shock: though it is good to see another men's skirt supplier. I just buy women's ones for a fraction of the price :roll:
Hmm, interesting! Italian made and marketed skirts for men; should fit well with the thread that it's illegal for a man to wear a skirt in Italy :?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

weeladdie18 wrote: She suggested that there were more Italians in South Australia then there were in Italy.
I have heard a similar claim relating to Melbourne and a Greek city. This one is credible but not true.
weeladdie18 wrote:Have you ever met the Dills from the back of Burke ? ......... weeladdie18...
I am only familiar with the back of Bourke and haven't come across any of the Dill family there.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Denimini. Thanks for your reply. I was introduced to the Australian wine made by the Italian Imigrants ....Nice drink.

I was wondering if the Italians and the Greeks had revived their old tunic style historical male fashions for the Australia Climate.

I googled Figian Sulu and found a piece on a shop which was selling the garment off the peg in Figi ...Nice neat simple garment.

No one has made any attempt to market this simple wrap over male garment....... Interesting...weeladdie
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

They're out there, in the Brisbane CBD today walking down Edward St away from central station, spotted a young guy, probably in his mid-late 20s, with ginger hair and thin ginger beard in what was definitely a black kilt (not sure if it was a utility kilt or not), black T shirt under a maroon long sleeved shirt that was not buttoned up. He looked a little bit "alternative" in how he was dressed, but not untidy.
I tried to note any reactions from others around him, and didn't see any obvious head-turns from those walking toward him or behind.

It was definitely some sort of kilt, pleated at the sides and back, with the two securing straps on the right side.
I was on the other side of the road, and I couldn't get a real good look because there was plenty of other people around between him and me.

This is not the first time I've seen a bloke in a skirt or kilt in the city, and as I was driving out today I thought I spotted from a distance what could have been an Asian guy in a long sarong or similar and later a tall guy with long dreadlocks in what could have been a khaki or camo knee length skirt but that was from a distance so I couldn't confirm.
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

Yesterday (Thursday 3rd), about 5.20pm I saw a man, thirtyish, wearing what looked like a full length utility kilt. It was so "maxi" that I was unable to see what kind of legwear he had on
This was in a long very busy pedestrianised street just off O'Connell Street in Dublin. He was walking in the opposite direction to me and I only saw him when he was a few yards (or metres) away from me. I was about to take a second look, but at that same moment I was distracted by someone trying to force a leaflet onto me. When I managed to dodge past the leafleter I looked around but the man was gone.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sightings in the wild.

It is perhaps interesting in the Psycology Of Perception that we are not mentally prepared to see a man in a skirt.... When we have a sighting in our view we take a second look as we do not see the first glance as a normal perception in our "normal safe journey down the street ".

It is worth noting that we see very few females wearing the skirt these days.....This has been caused by a popular change in female fashion. In some supermarkets the female staff are given the choice of either the Skirt or trousers as part of their issue uniform. In my recent observations a very small number of female staff choose to wear skirts.

It is perhaps interesting that we as Men in Skirts are also in a "social minority ".........................................

Further to which the Skirt has not been made socially acceptable as a Male fashion...........................................weeladdie.
Last edited by crfriend on Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tried to correct the formating [CRF]
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Today while my daughter was shopping at one of our local Wal-Marts she came across one of the employees working in a kilt. She stopped to talk to him and during the conversation he said he was so glad they let him wear it at work.

I have not seen him during my shopping at the same store so he might be a new employee. If I see him i will talk to him and tell him about this site.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

HOT URF DA PREZZES...................

Good luck to all the A.T. hikers on their way to Maine!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.