Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Caultron »

Darryl wrote:Well, one can always at least be tangential....more or less.
Quite true, in a sense.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Caultron wrote:...I've been to Bath but not (to my knowledge) to this Oldfield Park area. But apparently (after some Googling) it's peopled largely with college students, who stereotypically don't carry briefcases and umbrellas.
It is the suburban area of Victorian terraced housing where I grew up. Before the students moved in, it was very much a tightly-knit working-class district where a smartly-dressed businessman would stand out as a stranger.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pelmut wrote:
Caultron wrote:...I've been to Bath but not (to my knowledge) to this Oldfield Park area. But apparently (after some Googling) it's peopled largely with college students, who stereotypically don't carry briefcases and umbrellas.
It is the suburban area of Victorian terraced housing where I grew up. Before the students moved in, it was very much a tightly-knit working-class district where a smartly-dressed businessman would stand out as a stranger.
So skirt, counter-cultural, cool, but suitcoat, brief, and brolly, establishment, eew, especially for college students, I suppose.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Tesco in Dingwall (Highland Scotland) today (Sunday). He seemed to be shopping with a young boy (grandson?). Wearing a sort of skirt that was a flap front and rear, sos huge side splits, with shorts visible underneath and bare legs with sandals. No one paid him much attention as I have found myself when out and about in a skirt in the Highlands.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Spotted a boy in a dress this morning during Sunday Mass. He was about 7-8 years old wearing an ankle-length small-flowered dress with a ruffled hem. I only saw him for a few seconds as he was leaving during services, I suppose for the bathroom. I didn't see hm come back, though, nor before or after Mass.

I suppose it could have been a girl with a really boyish haircut but I don't think so.

caultron
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Sighting. Saturday December 2nd 17
Me and my wife went out for breakfast this am at a fast food chain.
They were very busy, so while waiting in line I was looking around (today there was quite a motley crew of customers) three pre teen cheerleaders, a woman with long bright red hair, and some still in pajama pants. I noticed a man in line in drab colors but clearly dressed in clothes from across the isle.
A long charcoal tweed coat. Black purse with red skulls on it. And fitted denim trusers that had 6 inch zippers at each ankle. So needless to say very fitted.
he never took the coat off so I never did see his shirt selection or upper portion of his denim trousers.
His shoes were black sneakers so I could not tell which side they came from.
Nothing else about him was fem, just the coat, trousers, and purse.
The three cheerleaders in line behind him, and infront of me noticed something about his outfit, one of them discreetly pointed toward him, Wispered something to another girl. They seemed lightly humored mostly, eyed him a few moments,
then whent back to looking at the menu. Later after all parties had been seated. I disreetly pointed him out to my wife. Absolutely no feedback or comment from
her. If she had not been with me, not sure what I would had said, but would have said something friendly. What do you say if you bump into another from across the isle man?
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mishawakaskirt wrote:...What do you say if you bump into another from across the isle man?
"Great look! I like your style!"

Just make sure you seem sincere.

caultron
Rolando

Post by Rolando »

Today – New Years Day – I went to Barry Island (UK) parkrun. (google 'parkrun') I usually run, but today I was marshalling out on the course. Many of my running club buddies run at Barry Island and I, informally, know many more of the runners, so I've never worn a skirt there – until today.

Unfortunately, when I arrived, it was raining heavily so I wore a raincoat that nearly covered my skirt. I spoke with a number of friends before the Start, I don't think any noticed the small amount of skirt visible – so that was a bit of a fail. I'll try again next Saturday.

Anyway – Sightings In The Wild…… when I was at my marshalling post I spotted one of the runners wearing a Welsh kilt (Welsh Flag design) I managed to call out to him “nice kilt” but he had already passed me, so got no response – he was probably 'in the zone'. By the time I'd spotted him, he was on his second lap and had already run past me twice previously. In my defence for not spotting him before, my skirt/kilt radar must need a bit of fine tuning, and, I was in the narrow and busiest part of the course with runners going in both directions at the same time. And me, constantly, having to shout “Keep Right” to try to prevent any pile ups.

Like most skirt/kilt spotters I saw the kilt but have no idea what the bloke looked like! There is usually someone taking photos of the runners, that get posted on line. I'll have a trawl through them to see if he appears – and if he does, I'll post on here.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Yesterday in Rotterdam my wife did see a guy beside the road waiting at the pedestrian sign to cross it wearing a skirt. I was to late to react to see the guy because we where driving into the city. :D

That makes two wearing a skirt in Rotterdam. :mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I was visiting a national park yesterday (warm sunny day about 75 F.) and hiking on a trail when I encountered a man and his wife walking toward me on the trail. I noticed he was wearing a skirt which looked like a golf skirt. I said to him that he looked like a well dressed man, to which he acted nervous until I said I was also wearing the same thing. They stopped and turned around and his wife was smiling. We had a discussion about how much we enjoy the comfort and freedom. I told him I wouldn't have noticed except that I was also wearing a skirt. He said he didn't notice mine until I told him. It reassured both of us and increased my own confidence. That has been the first time I met someone else dressed in a skirt. As he was explaining how much he enjoyed wearing a skirt I told him that there were more and more men wearing them and it was increasing exponentially. I don't know how true that is, but it calmed him as I could tell he was initially nervous. Hey we need to help each other, right? His wife also joined the conversation and said how good her husband looked in his skirt. She mentioned they were traveling from Canada.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

That's great . what makes it better was that his wife was there and she was ok with her husband wearing a skirt.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife and I are frequently out when I am wearing a skirt. We travel, go to restaurants, hotels, stores, ranger stations, hiking, etc.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Happy-N-Skirts, Did you give him the address for Skirtcafe? It sounds like he and his wife would really like to see that there are many many men in skirts. The only other man I have seen in a skirt in public is Moonshadow when he and Jenn came to Aiken SC for a visit and we toured the area skirted and enjoyed the time together. It sure would be nice to see more "Men in Skirts".

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Neither one of us had anything to write with, but I told him about this site and suggested he Google men in skirts, men hiking in skirts, men's hiking skirts, men wearing skirts. We both were carrying our cameras. We introduced ourselves by first name. I think he was still a little shocked as it was the first time anyone had noticed him wearing a skirt. I stressed that I wouldn't have noticed except that I was wearing one. It was a denim one with pockets. When I am not expecting to meet people I usually wear an elastic waist pull on that resembles shorts buy or very light weight and smoother than denim. I have worn all kinds of skirts in public places though. I have never been noticed.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I just got a scrub skirt in the mail. They were on sale and ridiculously cheap, like $13 plus shipping. I am headed to a local cleaners who do alterations and will have it shortened and the remnant made into another skirt. I change in their dressing room and stand on a pedestal and am measured for length and the lady pins it. I have been going there for years when I need something shortened. She also knows my wife. I am a wildlife photographer and she always wants to see any new pictures. I always wear a skirt for hiking in the wilderness. I have some camouflage skirts too.