Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by oldsalt1 »

Looks great can see from marks on knees that you are working in the shop. What no heels :lol: :lol: Ain't you cold I am on Long Island NY the weather you had yesterday we get today. I thought that March was supposed to come in like a lion and go like a lamb. We are expecting another 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow night.. Stay warm
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Saw a man wearing a malong (under a short robe) and another man wearing a longyi today.
らき☆
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

skirtingtheissue wrote:Went to a clothing-optional potluck dinner Saturday and met a couple dressed only in Utilikilts! The reason this was significant to me was that it was the first time I've seen a woman in a Utilikilt. Of course they both got my compliments.
I recall an observation from a kilting forum, about women appreciating the pockets of a Utilikilt.

A few have pointed out that womens' skirts are designed to display a woman's sexuality/sex appeal. Not serve as practical garments for everyday life. Pockets bulky with wallets, etc., would break up the smooth lines of a skirt and not display that sex appeal well.

So there may be a latent demand for practical womens' skirts, skirts intended for everyday life-a demand that is essentially being ignored.
Last edited by Grok on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

johnie wrote: if enough women wear kilts, then kilts will be out of bounds to men.
john in scotland
I suspect that the rarity of kilts is the reason women have not yet appropriated these garments.

So to remain mens' wear, kilts may need to remain uncommon.
mikel

Post by mikel »

I forgot to wear green, but I didn't forget to wear my skirt to work today!

It would look even better with a shorter jacket or maybe vest. Still like your style!

Mike
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Interesting weekend around Brisbane last Saturday, was out at Southbank parklands with my wife, lots of people out enjoying a warm Saturday afternoon, including a young family, with 3 children, 2 boys and a girl, all probably aged 7 to about 10 or so. One of the boys (definitely a boy), about 8 years old or so, was wearing a black tiered skirt, just above knee, walking along with his siblings as normally as any kid of that age with his family. Confident young fellow, with obviously very supportive parents.

Then, about an hour later when I was waiting for my wife in one of the city centre malls, a guy, probably early 20s, longish hair, wearing patterned leggings and a dark skater skirt sat down, across from where I was.

Seems there are a few people out there who are wearing skirts, all the more the merrier.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Very cool.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

oldsalt1 wrote:Looks great can see from marks on knees that you are working in the shop. What no heels :lol: :lol: Ain't you cold I am on Long Island NY the weather you had yesterday we get today. I thought that March was supposed to come in like a lion and go like a lamb. We are expecting another 3-6 inches of snow tomorrow night.. Stay warm
I wear heels a lot, but sometimes they just don't make any sense. It's kind of chilly, but the hose help.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

mikel wrote:I forgot to wear green, but I didn't forget to wear my skirt to work today!

It would look even better with a shorter jacket or maybe vest. Still like your style!

Mike
Thanks!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

I have to throw this out there. I have seen quite a few guys out and about in kilts, and even a couple of sarongs. The other day however, I saw a fellow in a fusia colored A line skirt with simalarly colorerd nylons, on a busy street corner, in Duncan BC. He was wearing a standard Jean jacket on top. He looked to be in his fifties or early sixties and had an air of confidence about him. He was pulling it off very nicely.

I was driving past in my work truck, so I wasn't able stop and say hello. Also, I had a sense that treating this as commonplace may also be more helpful. Any chance this was one of you guys?
Liino

Post by Liino »

Have been away at work for awhile, however, I did come across a fellow wearing a skirt in Calgary, he wore an "A" line skirt with dark tights. He helped with my needs, then I had a quick chat with about his skirt and gave him a compliment. I had just come in from some cold snowy weather and was not wearing a skirt myself. Seen 3 fellows now in Calgary in skirts and kilts. Awesome!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Liino wrote:Have been away at work for awhile, however, I did come across a fellow wearing a skirt in Calgary, he wore an "A" line skirt with dark tights. He helped with my needs, then I had a quick chat with about his skirt and gave him a compliment. I had just come in from some cold snowy weather and was not wearing a skirt myself. Seen 3 fellows now in Calgary in skirts and kilts. Awesome!
Hi Liino! That was me, have had a few other guys mention to me at work they wear skirts, and several guys in kilts or Utilikilts come through the store. Did see one guy wearing what appeared to be a very smart tweed skirt suit, not a ladies one as it seemed to fit his frame very well. Didn't get a chance to talk to him though. A day or so before you spoke to me, had a lady and then her husband ask me where I got my skirts as they thought them very suitable. Do you remember which skirt I was wearing? From your description it was probably either a brown, or possibly grey, tweed like material? Those are ones I wear frequently.
Liino

Post by Liino »

Hi Partly Scot, Great stuff, finally I have found another member who is not far away. Yes, I believe you were in a dark colour skirt. Look forward to chatting again, thanks Partly Scot! I have seen a few guys in kilts, one fellow was wearing a 5.11 Tactical kilt and was very happy with it. Looking to find one of those as well. Chat soon! Liino
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

This Sunday I watched a Senakulo play (also called Passion Play), which is a play frequently held during Holy Week that depicts the Passion of Jesus.
Pretty much all the actors are wearing robes of some kind so I think this counts.
らき☆
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Liino wrote:Hi Partly Scot, Great stuff, finally I have found another member who is not far away. Yes, I believe you were in a dark colour skirt. Look forward to chatting again, thanks Partly Scot! I have seen a few guys in kilts, one fellow was wearing a 5.11 Tactical kilt and was very happy with it. Looking to find one of those as well. Chat soon! Liino
My son just bought me my birthday gift a stone colored 511 tactical kilt. Having it shortened just a little . He gave it to me with the understanding that I would wear it next week when we go to a Mets Baseball game.