Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by oldsalt1 »

Jim wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote: The second part is church functions. I have been to the church offices many time chatted with the pastor .dropped stuff off for the food bank and I even ventured into the church to say a prayer. But these have been during off times.
I think I'd recommend chatting with the pastor about this. Some, while not morally objecting, might find it too much of a distraction when the focus needs to be elsewhere.
Finally did it This morning I went to a mass at church. I was always concerned about doing this because I felt that it was not proper for church.

I rationalized it saying God already knows I wear skirts. This is me why should I be different for church.

I had to be conservative nothing flashy. I wore a denim skirt it was about 2 inches above my knees black tights and dark boots.

I had less apprehension walking into a major league baseball game than I did walking into church.

I got there and sat in my car in the parking lot for about 5 minutes before I took a deep breath got out and walked in . Well the roof didn't collapse and no fire and brimstone cane thru the windows so I guess it was ok.

The only problem was that I don't think the pastor was too happy , look on my post under personal stories "OUCH"
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:Who you calling normal?
Sorry, I must've been in a normal odd mood.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

oldsalt, I hardly think that the pastor is in a position to disapprove with the dress-like garbs that are available to them. Anyway that's his problem, not yours. Just remind him that Jesus wouldn't have worn trousers and all of the depictions of God and His Son have them wearing robes, not Levis and a T-shirt. Yes, since God is all-knowing He knows that you wear a skirt and why so again, tell the pastor to take it up with Him and if He tells you not to wear a skirt then you will comply. All that should shut him, with a small h, up.

Surely instead of normal you should have used conventional. I don't think any of us can be considered normal, and can you be normal and abnormal at the same time, but on the other hand we can be conventional and unconventional at the same time, can't we.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:I don't think any of us can be considered normal...
I can. It's the rest of you who are abnormal.
:thewave:
(that's me in the centre)
Daryl...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

That is exactly what my driving instructor said in the 60s. Assume everybody else on the road is crazy. That gives you the best starting point to survive.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

beachlion wrote:That is exactly what my driving instructor said in the 60s. Assume everybody else on the road is crazy. That gives you the best starting point to survive.
Driving instructor, a wise but dying breed. Mine taught me that breaking some rules is justified, especially for safety. I'm not sure he realised the effect he would have on my philosophical life.
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I was in church this morning (Wearing Pants) saw Father Frank. He didn't mention anything about my skirts. But he was very friendly he stopped by my pew and we chatted for a couple of minutes.

I am working up to Sunday mass but I need a little more confidence. So I am going to the less crowded weekday mass for a while my next mass will be on Tuesday morning. This is what I am planning on wearing.

What do you think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...I am working up to Sunday mass but I need a little more confidence. So I am going to the less crowded weekday mass for a while my next mass will be on Tuesday morning. This is what I am planning on wearing.

What do you think
The outfit looks fine.

This morning I went to church wearing a black long-sleeved polo shirt, black a-line knee-length skirt, black semi-opaque tights, and black 3" heels.

To my surprise, an archbishop visiting from Los Angeles was standing in lobby and greeting people, all dressed for Mass in his mitre and other vestments. He noticed me as I passed by and remarked, "Good morning! Having a good day?" I replied, "Yes, I am, thank you and God bless you." Then he wished me, "God bless you," and we continued on our business.

No word about the skirt and heels. No frowns. Not even a raised eyebrow. True story. Don't sweat it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just got back from my second mass in a skirt.

Everything is ok with Father Frank. After the mass he stops in the back of the church and greets the people. I stopped and had a short chat about a project that he wants me to work on. There was no difference from any other time I stopped to talk.

Only one minor problem the boots I wore had a hard heel and when you walk they click. It draws attention to you. This was especially true when I was coming back from the alter after communion. Next time soft heels.

Sorry to harp on this so much but it is important to me because this is my first real move at acceptance within my community. These people are not strangers at a ball game but they are the very same people that you see everyday and are involved in many of the same things you are.

I changed the outfit I went with a black pencil skirt. and a dress shirt The denim is nice but this is church
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Everything is ok with Father Frank. After the mass he stops in the back of the church and greets the people. I stopped and had a short chat about a project that he wants me to work on. There was no difference from any other time I stopped to talk.
OK, that's about as positive an outcome as anybody could ask for. Well done.

The reason you were obsessing over it so much is precisely because it's important to you, and the people involved are important to you in your interaction with the community. You can certainly be forgiven for that.

Good job on ditching the denim for church. I know that lots of folks wear denim in church all the time, but that doesn't make it any less disrespectful.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Good job on ditching the denim for church. I know that lots of folks wear denim in church all the time, but that doesn't make it any less disrespectful.
Jeans, cowboy boots, and big belt buckles are the attire of choice in many churches around here. They're just the "clean jeans" as opposed to the more raggedy ones that they might wear another day. Really only the older generation still wears dress slacks.

But on what's "disrespectful", that's a matter of local customs and local opinion. What's disrespectful in one church may not be so in another. While you and OldSalt look great in your outfits, any of us would be seen as disrespectful should we enter nine out of ten churches around where I live dressed like that. We may even be shown the door. Presbyterian and Methodist are probably the safest bet. Baptist are hit or miss, depends on how fundamental the congregation is. Pentecostal, Apostolic, and smaller "assemblies of God", "the old path" etc... you can forget it! In fact, in many of the latter, women are even forbidden to wear trousers, or is at least regarded as a big offense!

Not sure about local Catholic churches. There aren't that many around here. And of course, the Unitarians accept just about anything.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:Good job on ditching the denim for church. I know that lots of folks wear denim in church all the time, but that doesn't make it any less disrespectful.
What you wear to church is between you and your God or Goddesses. I have worn coveralls to church (clean but old ones) and have been as welcome as the next man. I have been a member of several types of churches (denominations) and have decided that none of them are the true church. They are all products of man and what he wants not necessarily what God wants. I have even attended Mass nude at a nudist camp where the priest from a distant church came to provide for the faithful. By the ways he was also a member of the club. So what you wear is not important at all.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Following a meeting in town, returned to the car to swap jackets, popped into Jenners and did a quick change: black roll neck, suede "mock" wrap mini skirt, black tights and my normal shoes. Wonderful to then walk along Princes Street. Nipped into Primark and found blue faux sheepskin boots at £4. Not the most elegant, and a tiny bit short in size 8, but better than the chunky shoes I had on.

Also tried on a great pair for bright blue over the knee boots, but couldn't imagine when I'd wear them! Loads of other interesting looking footwear at crazy prices, including blue satin platforms with block heels. Better stop now!

Really enjoyed walking back through the Gardens past all the Christmas stalls but didn't have time to stop as I needed to retrieve the car before the parking fee shot up!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Everyone was raised with a different set of rules as to what is proper for church. Yes it is between you and god, but when you were growing up there were a lot of people explaining the meaning of what was between you and god.

Every body has to make their own choice. Times have changed and what is proper for someone today is based on an entirely different set of rules.

This is the way I was brought up. In my entire 72+ years I wore shorts to church once , and that was when I made my first communion at age 7 in 1952. If have worn jeans to church maybe 3 times, and in those instances something other than my choice was the cause.

With that upbringing I find it mind blowing that last Wednesday and this morning I went to church sat for a mass and walked up to the alter to receive communion while wearing a skirt
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:
Jeans, cowboy boots, and big belt buckles are the attire of choice in many churches around here. They're just the "clean jeans" as opposed to the more raggedy ones that they might wear another day. Really only the older generation still wears dress slacks.
Recall my New England heritage -- and the fact that many of those of us here are positively steeped in 17th Century "thinking". When I was growing up -- and had elders who were lay ministers in the Episcopalian Church -- nobody even thought about wearing denim to church. This was the era of "Sunday best", and that did not mean "Sunday clean dungarees". Period. Was that sort of thing acceptable elsewhere? Possibly; however, if it was, it was alien to my life-experience. Nowadays, anything goes I guess. Such is the power of the lens of life experience.

So, yes, "local customs and local opinion". But let's try not to let it sink to the level of Walmart. Some decorum is always welcome.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!