Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:...The Toronto subway system moves 2.7 million people every day, and I rode it every day for years and years. Over time I stopped getting comments (usually positive) and now I don't even get very many double-takes and other very direct reactions. Imagine that; I conditioned probably half a million people to go "meh" whenever they saw a man in a skirt!
That may be, but I bet another factor was your own confidence and acceptance. In order to get acceptance from others, you first need to develop self-acceptance.
Yes, I am sure that's true as well, at least in the confidence part. Never ever had a problem with self-acceptance.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:Oh no! :shock: Tell me it's not true!!! If I stop getting compliments whenever I go out I'll either have to find something more controversial to wear or move to somewhere they don't know me yet :(
Ahh, zo tell me about zis need to attract all zee attention onto yourzelf. Alzo, ven dit your mother ztop breaztfeeding you? :ugeek:
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:
Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:...The Toronto subway system moves 2.7 million people every day, and I rode it every day for years and years. Over time I stopped getting comments (usually positive) and now I don't even get very many double-takes and other very direct reactions. Imagine that; I conditioned probably half a million people to go "meh" whenever they saw a man in a skirt!
That may be, but I bet another factor was your own confidence and acceptance. In order to get acceptance from others, you first need to develop self-acceptance.
Agreed. If you give off a vibe or nervousness, uncertainty or furtiveness, people will pick up on that almost immediately, causing them to take notice of you, and perhaps not in a positive way. As long as you display confidence, perhaps even a shade of cockiness, like you're perfectly at home in what you're wearing like everyone else, chances are great you'll be accepted by the public for your presentation.
I believe there is a LOT of value and accuracy in this assessment. If you have a nervous or awkward way about you, you're going to fumble around and attract negative attention to matter what you're wearing. A good example of this is depicted in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite", of which the main character (Napoleon) doesn't wear skirts, but has a general, overall clumsy and awkward way about him and as a result receives odd looks and gets himself into strange and comical (the theme of the movie) social situations.

The key here is confidence, and like Jeff said, maybe even a little cockiness. On my "good days", I do notice that I seem to be "at one with the world", whereas on days where I'm a little down about something it seems like I notice every little snicker and sneer.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Went out to do some shopping. Its snowing out but with the tights I was warm . I definitely have to get some winter boots Something that I would be waterproof.

On of the places that I went was the bank . As I was walking in there was ATM in the foyer . There were two young women there . As I was walking past I got a smile and a very cheery "Nice Skirt. " I noticed that the one who made the comment was putting her cell phone away , From where I parked it was a short distance from the bank she must have seen me coming and I think she took a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Oldsalt, that is a nice skirt! Plus it looks great with the thick tights. Even if the girl took a picture, it's ok.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:On of the places that I went was the bank . As I was walking in there was ATM in the foyer . There were two young women there . As I was walking past I got a smile and a very cheery "Nice Skirt. " I noticed that the one who made the comment was putting her cell phone away , From where I parked it was a short distance from the bank she must have seen me coming and I think she took a picture.
Even if she did, so what? 'Twas a decent look, and you were happy with it. Done.

Out of curiosity, since you like your skirts short, have you contemplated a bomber jacket or even an Ike jacket for the colder months. Their shorter cut might make the overall lines of your short skirts look a bit better.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

oldsalt1 wrote: From where I parked it was a short distance from the bank she must have seen me coming and I think she took a picture.
crfriend wrote: Even if she did, so what? 'Twas a decent look, and you were happy with it. Done.
I am sure many people take pictures without our knowledge, considering us a novelty. Whether it is OK or not, one must assume it happens. The implication is that if we are happy going skirted in a particular locality then we need to be happy with the look being seen around the world.
crfriend wrote: Out of curiosity, since you like your skirts short, have you contemplated a bomber jacket or even an Ike jacket for the colder months. Their shorter cut might make the overall lines of your short skirts look a bit better.
That is a good point. I regret giving my old motorcycle jacket away as I find with minis that most coats and jackets are too long and sometimes look as if you are only wearing a coat.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Daryl posted a blog about the lure of skirts. I have been trying to come up with a thought out answer Maybe I will come up with one . But for now

I am having a ball with this

I never had somebody say nice pants. as far as the picture I don't care if she took it . I am sure that when I was running around in NYC that a few pictures were taken. I don't want to end up on a Walmart top 25 but otherwise I don't care.

The cafe is a lot of fun.

When you mentioned a bomber jacket, I remembered that I had one in the basement .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

The leather jacket is a nice look. And, at this time of year, it’s practical because it keeps you warm.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

oldsalt1 wrote:When you mentioned a bomber jacket, I remembered that I had one in the basement .
It does look good on you and it makes the skirt look a little longer than it is.
I like the look!! :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

One of things about a waist length jacket is exposing more area to the slings and pains of outrageous winter.
Having the waist open to the ravages of wind and temperature rapidly cools the body core temperature.
I would be more comfortable with a hem that goes to the bottom of the butt.
Not all winter days qualify as a reason not to wear the short jacket so I would not totally discount the jacket wearing.
But interesting enough the waist length jacket would make a skirt or a kilt that much more fashionable for wear
showing more tartan or color design.
Would no doubt take the emphasis off of long legs and center more attention to the mid waist section.
So off to venture thru the closet to see what can I resurrect in the name of cool fashion ah er make that warm fashion !
It is tempting but winter has not reached its apex pinnacle here in Minnesota - at least another 6 weeks descending into
a strange form of hell - freezer burn - frost bite - black ice - all rapidly cooled by an inverse microwave effect of windchill factor !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Another vote for your short jacket, oldsalt. Gives a better balance between the various parts of your outfit.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

A couple of shopping trips recently worth a wee mention.

First one was in my home town, our Yuletide Evening when most of the shops stay open late and dish out free food and drink to encourage you to buy, Santa parades down Main Street to his grotto in the Village Hall, and there is a wee funfair. This year there was also a man in a skirt, collecting funny looks as ever. This was the first time I've been skirted at this event. The fact that H went along before me, and I was able to get changed into my skirt on getting home from work without her commenting, may have had something to do with it! But when I arrived, she didn't complain at all.

Similar thing a few days later. H and I went Christmas shopping in Glasgow. She had to go to the office briefly first, so she got an early train and I met her at a more civilised hour. A downward glance at my skirt elicited no more than a brief eye roll, and off we went. It was entirely predictable that I would turn up in a skirt, but she didn't ask me not to.

Her attitude to my skirts continues to soften. :D
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Guys comment here about wearing a skirt while shopping for a skirt. In that last trip I bought something for myself - shirts for work. So that was a visit to a men's clothes shop, in a skirt!

They took my money just as happily as ever.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair