Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by STEVIE »

I am like Mike in that I regard skirt wearing as the norm and trousers the exception.
I actually recall posting in pics and looks that as that developed I would effectively desist from putting up shots at the cafe.
I felt that it detracted from my own idea of normalising my choices.
I have no idea why this is but out and about I very rarely get comments on my attire these days. That is not to say that I don't converse because it is one of my real life pleasures. It just never seems to reach the subject of my clothes.
Oddly, the one about being cold was one I did get but more than a year ago. The lady who made it and I now have very convivial chats whenever our paths cross.
I would wonder if these "chats" would ever have been initiated had I been in trousers on that frosty morning? I rather doubt it,
Steve.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:39 am Oddly, the one about being cold was one I did get but more than a year ago. The lady who made it and I now have very convivial chats whenever our paths cross.
I've been asked once or twice about being cold in a skirt/kilt. It annoys my wife, only because she's also wearing a skirt and she doesn't get asked if she's cold :roll:
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Charlie » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:45 am

STEVIE wrote: ↑Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:39 am

I've been asked once or twice about being cold in a skirt/kilt. It annoys my wife, only because she's also wearing a skirt and she doesn't get asked if she's cold :roll:
Charlie
Thanks Charlie for the smile; a ring of truth like most good lines. Perhaps the ladies are just made of hardier stuff! I find I'm often switching to a longer skirt when my wife is still comfortable in something more abbreviated. :)
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

It is all a matter of getting acclimated and mind over science and matter.
HOWEVER don't get to the point of ridiculous with frost bite frozen limbs
and windchill factors rivaling the temps that those virus vaccinations are
kept under.
Then there is the Polar Bear Plunge - the water temperature is warmer
than the air - after the plunge the skin is freeze dried don't waste any
time seeking warm shelter and a change out of wet icy clothing !
The clothing actually insulates the flesh albeit very briefly.
And for those with the A line skaters skirts kilts beware that windchill
upskirt draft.
Best have some tights leggings or something going all the way up to that
dark area close to the back of the behinder.
And of course it makes sense to be a spy and "Come in from the Cold" !
Exposure to the "Nth" degree is not recommend.
Winter weather is user friendly to a point !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

COLD is a matter of where you live and how long you have lived there. I originally came from Philadelphia, Pa. and for many years after I moved to the South I was still only wearing just a shirt and no coat. While the locals were bundled up in heavy coats and sweaters. Now after 53 years I too bundle up at the first sign of temps going below 50 degrees F. Of course some of that is due to my old worn out body soon to be 78 years old. But most of it is acclimatization to the local conditions. But I do not wear tights nor pantyhose to me they are just trousers of a different style and something that is just not my style.

:-D :santa: :santa:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I get it at least half the time when I fuel my car and/or get a coffee at a local cafe in a mall on the way to work. Especially so in winter - but even on frosty mornings - or mornings with a slight dew and cooler air before we get a super hot afternoon day.

I always wear skirts/dresses - sometimes shorts - but mostly skirts - and I do feel the cold - but my legs are ok - and a skirt is not that cold I don't think.

and I like others am not a fan of pantyhose/tights - I don't ever wear opaques on my legs - sheers only - and only blacks/barely blacks in a stocking style if I do feel I need hosiery.

I really do think the 'aren't you cold?' is a form of small-talk - just a natural thing that pops up - mostly from women to be honest - although I get guys comment on my bare legs.

cheers
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I was out today for a bit in 30 F temperatures with a skirt and tights on - not sure how I could have done it with bare legs. No wind and I was fine, but when the wind blew I was a bit cold. I’m sure if I was moving between car to building I could suffer the cold for a short walk - but standing outside for 30 minutes talking to a friend - too long in the cold.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Hi Coder,

well 30F is just below 0 deg celsius I think - I don't get many days cooler than 0 here - and when I wear s skirt in winter its not like I am outside for ages - so walking places, shopping etc is the only time I am out in the cold - but I don't mind my legs bare. But once again I wouldn't be more than 20-30 mins in the open at any time.

cheers
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

And the wind chill put it down to 27F. Once we get to Jan/Feb it’ll likely be more towards 10F, or -12C. That’s on our colder says, mostly it stays 20-30F.
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

That's what leggings are for!
Slightly less hassle than tights, which you have to fit over your feet.
Leggings stay up better than tights. Get the high-waisted variety.
Black and other solid colors, also a million different patterns and colors.
Wear them under trousers or shorts or skirts, or just on their own as "pants."
Many cyclists, joggers, soccer players, and other athletes are wearing
leggings, so it's no big deal to see men wearing them. I've had a few
compliments on mine. And they definitely keep you warmer than bare legs.
Only disadvantage is that they almost never have pockets, but I've seen
a few that have a discreet zip pocket in the waistband, for your car key.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

my problem is I live in heels.... so leggings/tights don't look or feel right. I can wear pantyhose/stockings in winter.

I have worn high waisted cropped pants and leather like pants last year once or twice because they're in fashion but those don't count cause they're not skirts!!

however - my climate here isn't that extreme anyway - some of those temps mentioned are way colder than we get here.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Bertino56 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:41 am That's what leggings are for!
Slightly less hassle than tights, which you have to fit over your feet.
Leggings stay up better than tights. Get the high-waisted variety.
I have a few pairs but I typically have to buy a size small - they usually end up being too short. Also, they creep down jus as tights, and I don't like how they bunch up at the ankles (even with a pair of boot socks over them). On the other hand tights have their issues but in general I consider them cold-weather wear only. If I was as bold as a lot of the people here I’d have a better idea of the real-world practicality of either choice - as is I’m trying to come out of my shell.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

show your ankles.... if they are footless then let your feet/ankles show? pull them up to 4 inches over your ankle?

aren't all pantyhose/tights supposed to be worn at the waist? which compared to mens waists - is a high waist - level with my elbows is where my skirt/hosiery/suspenderbelt line sits for all things hosiery.

hosiery is volume related - so if you're tall and solid - then you need extra extra tall because the volume of leg is larger. Similarly if you're short and thicker legged then you will still need a longer/larger size.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 am show your ankles.... if they are footless then let your feet/ankles show? pull them up to 4 inches over your ankle?

aren't all pantyhose/tights supposed to be worn at the waist? which compared to mens waists - is a high waist - level with my elbows is where my skirt/hosiery/suspenderbelt line sits for all things hosiery.

hosiery is volume related - so if you're tall and solid - then you need extra extra tall because the volume of leg is larger. Similarly if you're short and thicker legged then you will still need a longer/larger size.
I think that is where the QUEEN size - TALL or a number 4 on the package label comes into play.
Get the average conventional sizing and the male is not going to get anywhere near the High Waist - be lucky to cover the plumbers crack - the proportions are out of range !
Pantyhose does take the edge off of a winter chill but heavier weight tights leggings jeggings do a better job.
Of course if you are going on an Artic expedition long johns and thermal pants are recommended in spite of the skirted rules.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

r.m.anderson wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:20 am
nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 am show your ankles.... if they are footless then let your feet/ankles show? pull them up to 4 inches over your ankle?

I think that is where the QUEEN size - TALL or a number 4 on the package label comes into play.
Get the average conventional sizing and the male is not going to get anywhere near the High Waist - be lucky to cover the plumbers crack - the proportions are out of range !
Pantyhose does take the edge off of a winter chill but heavier weight tights leggings jeggings do a better job.
Of course if you are going on an Artic expedition long johns and thermal pants are recommended in spite of the skirted rules.
I find the largest size of opaque or cable knit tights fit well for my height, but it just depends on the brand. I don’t quite care for anything sheer, though there are some ideas floating in my head that might work well in a punk sort of way.

When I drove through the outskirts of town I saw a lot of women wearing the standard issue of black leggings, socks, boots. No skirts, I was probably the only person out in that area skirted :P