Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm
mishawakaskirt wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:36 am don't think the nervousness will ever subside.
I found that it does fade, though I still sometimes get a little spike of anxiety, but it's very rare these days.
From my personal experience, I can say with certainty that it absolutely fades with time. Over almost two decades of wearing skirts openly in public I have only had one or perhaps two negative circumstances, and those inevitably involved drugs or alcohol.

Getting dressed in the morning [0], I just don't sweat the matter; what I wear is what I wear. If somebody takes umbrage with that, it's their problem unless they make it mine, and in the latter circumstance I can usually best their argument.
It's when you do have those little scares, but they don't result in a problem, that the fear starts to fade.
There is vast wisdom in that statement, and I concur with it. Most of the battle is in our own minds, but when we can cogently and articulately defend our choice of attire in the face of criticism it does confer extra confidence.

[0] When I bother getting dressed whilst in solitary-confinement that is. Half the time I'm in my night-clothes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Skaterswaltz

Post by Skaterswaltz »

Now that lockdown has eased a little, it's good to get out and about and make more skirt purchases. Buying skirts while wearing a skirt is terrific. Only bettered by being out and wearing a skirt, especially in this weather. Being at home most of the time these days, being able to choose what I wear (no workplace regulations) I'm going for maximum comfort all the time.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Did a few errands around town today - dropped off applications for absentee ballots (allowed for anyone due to the pandemic) at the town hall; walked around a bit in the town center; then bought some pots and hanging baskets of flowers at the garden store. I wore the brown miniskirt that my wife considers 'too short'. As long as I don't have to sit down, I guess it's OK with her. It was a very nice time. Wife enjoyed it particularly because she has left the house less frequently than I in the past few months. We are fortunate that Connecticut is one of the best of the States in having brought the virus under control. Everyone we encountered was wearing a face covering, and maintaining distance whenever possible. And I finally figured out how to post a photo!

beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

KenCT wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:25 am..... And I finally figured out how to post a photo!

Almost. But you are very close. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

How to Share Pictures using Dropbox
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox ... d-p/235974
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

A continuation of my posts on June 24 and 28th.

First off let me Wish everyone a happy 4 of July.
It may not be necessarily your country's independence day. But I hope you all can agree that we have freedoms we can celebrate even if they vary by country some.
At the very least celebrate the freedom from the inseam and wear a kilt or skirt Today.

Back to the continuation.
I donned my dark denim skort half shorts. And ran errands in it on July 3rd. I went to a big box store and the grocery store. A lot less jitters than the kilted outing.
Like others have said knee length plain denim skirts are next to invisible! I now can attest to that.
I should mention I had to return to the grocery store 2 more times (wife kept adding items to the list) luckily I had not gotten to far away from the store on both occasions. Two of the visits I used a carry basket, I carried it at my side. Not in front of my skort.

Did, does anyone find them selves uncomfortable around men while skirted? Around the ladies I feel more relaxed.

6 outings in the last week. 0 comments, 0 reactions, maybe 3 known notices where I think the passer by noticed my skirt.

I think I am over the Fear hump. Freed from the inseam and loving it.

Picture is a reflection of me in a glass door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected spelling
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:31 pm 6 outings in the last week. 0 comments, 0 reactions, maby 3 known notices where I think the passer by noticed my skirt.

I think I am over the Fear hump. Freed from the inseam and loving it.
Well done, Sir! Welcome to a wider world. Bravo.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

beachlion wrote:

>>KenCT wrote: ↑Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:25 pm
>>..... And I finally figured out how to post a photo!

[Image]
Almost. But you are very close. ;)

And i thought I had it!

then ShadowfaX posted a link for how to do it. Thanks!
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I don't think men look very carefully at other men. If they do it is usually at their faces. Plan ahead for a return comment if they say anything. I have never used a line but I think I would say I am recovering from an operation. It would be true but the operation was over ten years ago. That should stop them from being an idiot. If they ask what kind of operation then they would be a total idiot, but just say it was serious.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

As far as reactions go, I'd say that 9 out of 10 comments or reactions come from women, and in my experience, 100% or those are positive, questions, casual conversation or compliments.

Last Friday evening I did notice a fellow (two people) behind me while I was at the supermarket checkout who was giving me this disapproving glare, but so much so that his behaviour drew much more attention from other shoppers than I did. As I left the supermarket, I glanced back from about maybe 100 feet away, with him staring right at me until I made eye contact with him, and there was two other people in the next line watching him! That was priceless... His appearance suggested to me that he was less than average in many areas of life as well, but in saying that, while first impressions can count for a lot, appearances can be deceiving, as we all know.

I was just casually wearing my green utility kilt, polo shirt and casual shoes, doing some last minute grocery shopping, minding my own business.

I didn't even receive a second glance as I walked past a line of about 15 people outside the local sushi train restaurant, or anyone else in the shops or supermarket, I'm merely another person walking past.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:10 am Last Friday evening I did notice a fellow (two people) behind me while I was at the supermarket checkout who was giving me this disapproving glare,
Are you sure you didn't get the last packet of something off the shelf? It can be a bit like that these days :)
Sadly, he might have had a mental health problem.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Denimini, I doubt it, I only had one pack of bog rolls... That's al the supermarkets are letting you buy, thanks to the Victorians and their panic buying again..,.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Buying limits are long gone. People have realised that the supply chain for households and foods aren't going to dry up. Except for bedding, towels curtains and so on the supply of which is a bit patchy at the moment as most of the gear is made in China. There are gaps on the shelves, folks. Fortunately most of our customers are very understanding and patient.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Another continuation of my June 24, 28,July 4th 2020 posts. My out and about MIS adventures.
My bicycle has had a blown tire for almost two years.
I finally got a replacement and got it replaced.
I decided to take my bicycle for a short voyage. Not being on a bike in so long I kept the trip relatively short.
Our community has a river walk that spans through several Cities I'm estimating a good 10 miles of river walk, and another 5 miles of biking, walking path that connects to a third town that is not on the river.

Ok enough on geography.

I rode out and back a portion of of the river walk. Approx 2.5 miles / 4 km one way. Approx 5 miles/ 8k round trip and I did it in a skort. NOT in my denim one mentioned in the above posts. This is An actual athletic skort I bought last year with biking in mind. Rather comfortable skort athletic material, and the air flow is decent. kind of like a wing vent on a old truck. the only drawback The compression under shorts kept riding up my legs. I would have felt totally off and like a intentional flasher. I it wasn't for the black under shorts. I don't normally go for skirts that short. Made of great moisture wicking material. Certainly more modest than men's spandex biking/running shorts.

The only time I felt a little nervous was when I got back to my van, I had opened the sliding door to put my bike in. The two ladies( college aged) were returning to their car which was parked next to me. I rolled my bike to the grassy area in front of the vehicles, and patiently waited for them to leave. I don't know if they noticed me or not, they were very busy talking about the next opportunity to meet up and did not acknowledge me in any form.
Waiting for them to leave was to my benefit, it made it easier to load my bike in the van anyway.

This skort is going to be my preferred biking garment.
Being on a bike I received no comments or looks. You probably have to be an real eagle eye to spot a guy in a skort on a bike.

Loving the skort life!

Picture of skort below.

Related/ unrelated mentioned to my wife that I was considering wearing my kilt OUT WITH her. She shut that thought down almost instantly. I hate the hiding, but it's still best she doesn't know what I do WITH OUT her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

When riding my bike - I want only the padded panty shorts contacting the saddle/seat - therefore I don't wear much of a skirt least a skort in biking.
Also since I have a small LED flashing light just under the saddle a long skirt defeats the purpose of seeing it.
Making it simple most of the time I just wear the padded biking shorts with contrasting neon green (bright yellow) top.
Pure comfort and visibility !

mishawakaskirt -
Nice looking Skort great color pattern without overdoing it -
Guessing a 16 inch hem length which would be a tad too long for my biking adventures.
Prefer a short skirt if wearing one that does not bunch up on the saddle - this is where the padded bike pants come into play !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !