Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by oldsalt1 »

Now I suppose you want to know how I navigate the stick shift with two bags of groceries ! LOL ![/quote]

That's easy you get bags with handles and slip them over the broom :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Off to a Ceilidh. Rare opportunity to officially wear skirt kilt! :D
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Ceilidhs are great for kilting!

I was at a formal dinner in a large castle on Thursday night. Black tie, so you had all these gents wearing the same drab black outfit (dinner jacket) and two of us in full kilt regalia. Guess who got the attention from the ladies? ;-)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Last week, I was on a work related trip to Gibraltar, as it was work related I was resigned to pants and jeans, with a skirt for relaxation in the hotel room only. Having forgotten the belt for my trousers, it ended up as jeans for the week, with a lot of walking as we had no transport and the hotel was on the "wrong" side of the Rock. By the end of the week I was hobbling around asn my jeans had worn through the skin in the dark places between the legs, no, not the unmentionables, just between the legs. It is a blessing to be home, with unbifurcated clothing on and letting the skin grow back.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have been a member of the cafe for about a year and a half. With the help of the members I have been able to improve my outfits and have gained the courage to expand my areas of skirt wearing.

I think I have made a good amount of progress.

There are only 2 areas where I have been reluctant to wear skirts. The first is the VFW and the second is the church.

I made some progress both anticipated and unanticipated this week.

First the VFW. For those not familiar the VFW is the Veterans Of Foreign Wars organization. I belong to the local post .were I meet and socialize with my closest friends and brothers.. The comraderie is fantastic . But in good humor we are always busting each others chops , and wearing a skirt might give them a little too much ammunition. But I am slowly moving in that direction. Last week while I was at the food store , I ran into another member and his wife. I took a deep breath and went over and chatted with them This is the fifth member that I have run into while skirted. I will see him next week I want to see what reaction he has.

The second is the church. The first is going to mass. I think I have finally convinced myself that God will be ok with me to go to mass in a skirt. I am not going to a Sunday mass but there are weekday masses that aren't crowded I am trying to get up the nerve to go next week.

The second part is church functions. I have been to the church offices many time chatted with the pastor .dropped stuff off for the food bank and I even ventured into the church to say a prayer. But these have been during off times.

Each year the church has a list of needy families and we pick a family and we bring the fixings for them to have a decent Thanksgiving day dinner. Today was drop off day. It was at the parish hall. Between those running the drive the helpers and other donors there had to be at least 30 people in the hall. I drove up to the door got out opened the trunk and the helpers came to my car we put the stuff on the cart and brought it into the hall. I recognized some of the faces from around town , but this was the first time I have seen them in a group.I was wearing a denim skirt black tights and booties with a 3 inch heel.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

greenboots wrote:Off to a Ceilidh. Rare opportunity to officially wear skirt kilt! :D
I also went to a ceilidh for the evening. Wore a long black satiny flared skirt that twirled nicely as I danced. No adverse comments and no problem getting partners.
Last edited by pelmut on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:First the VFW. For those not familiar the VFW is the Veterans Of Foreign Wars organization. I belong to the local post .were I meet and socialize with my closest friends and brothers.. The comraderie is fantastic . But in good humor we are always busting each others chops , and wearing a skirt might give them a little too much ammunition. But I am slowly moving in that direction. Last week while I was at the food store , I ran into another member and his wife. I took a deep breath and went over and chatted with them This is the fifth member that I have run into while skirted. I will see him next week I want to see what reaction he has.
Though I am not a veteran I can not share your exact experience, however I myself have trouble being around people I'm familiar with while skirted. I can romp around all over the south, tolerate the slurs and insults from strangers, and the odd looks I get, but yet the thought of running into someone I know troubles me. It doesn't even have to be a friend, just anyone, for that matter. Co-workers, friend and foe, family, etc.

Granted I don't find myself in the same place as people I know often. It's also one reason I enjoy leaving the area and going into places where nobody would recognize me. The funny thing is, I didn't used to be this way. I've actually had the opposite problem many here have had. When I started this, I was somewhat gun-ho about it. I'd go anywhere and everywhere, and I didn't care who I ran into... I guess after than incident where I was reported to human resources at work, the fact that it has basically toasted the relationship I've had with my mother, who was about the only family I've had left, and what few friends I had up to that point are now skiddish about coming around, I suppose I've just lost my nerve somewhat.

Now if I catch a glimpse of someone I know out and about, I just avoid them. I'm just so tired of the drama over a piece of fabric. If it comes up at some point, if the response is positive then I'll go along with it, if it's like what happened when I was reported to H.R., I'll just tell them to leave me alone and go about their business.
I think I have finally convinced myself that God will be ok with me to go to mass in a skirt.
Well I could have told you that... :wink:
The second is the church. The first is going to mass. I think I have finally convinced myself that God will be ok with me to go to mass in a skirt. I am not going to a Sunday mass but there are weekday masses that aren't crowded I am trying to get up the nerve to go next week.
That's your choice, but I'd be willing to bet that based on the other stories you've told regarding your church, they'd accept you all the same, regardless of what mass you go to.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

oldsalt1 wrote: The second part is church functions. I have been to the church offices many time chatted with the pastor .dropped stuff off for the food bank and I even ventured into the church to say a prayer. But these have been during off times.
I think I'd recommend chatting with the pastor about this. Some, while not morally objecting, might find it too much of a distraction when the focus needs to be elsewhere.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I just had a new experience.

I went out to see some clients this morning. These were some of my other clients and I was wearing pants.

When I got home my son was there and he said that he wanted to go out for lunch. I said ok just let me change. My son is ok with my skirts so I put on one of my denim skirts black tights and some booties.

WE head out to the restaurant. we decide to go to Wild wings. which is a national chain. We have gone to restaurants before so I wasn't concerned. When we get there instead of getting a table he says lets go eat at the bar. Not thinking what I am wearing I say ok. And we head into the bar side of the restaurant. We get there it is starting to fill up with a lunch crowd.

We walk in and go over to 2 bar stools sit down order a couple of beers and than order lunch.

I may have gotten a couple of looks, but nothing was said nothing happened.

It just felt strange. I have gone to restaurants before where I sat at the bar had a couple of beers and ate but today I was wearing a skirt.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

OS, You must have had no afternoon business appointments that day. Way back in the mid-Durassic period I used have lunch accompanied by a beer and work an afternoon afterwards.

No more. Everyone who works afternoons takes water with lunch or at most a soft drink

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote:........ Everyone who works afternoons takes water with lunch or at most a soft drink

Tom
That will not cover the European countries touching the Mediteranean. Just suggest it there and bear the consequences. :eye:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Hey Oldsalt, beer tastes better when wearing a skirt! I've been in a skirt, heels & hose many times at my local beer serving establishment. I think I get more comments when I am wearing pants then when skirted. Which tells me that people do indeed notice I am wearing a skirt, since the pants always get a comment. Wow you're wearing pants today?! Maybe folks are not comfortable talking about the skirt... but skirted beer is the best beer!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Mike wrote:Hey Oldsalt, beer tastes better when wearing a skirt! I've been in a skirt, heels & hose many times at my local beer serving establishment. I think I get more comments when I am wearing pants then when skirted. Which tells me that people do indeed notice I am wearing a skirt, since the pants always get a comment. Wow you're wearing pants today?! Maybe folks are not comfortable talking about the skirt... but skirted beer is the best beer!
How right you are!! :toast: :pint:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:...I've been in a skirt, heels & hose many times at my local beer serving establishment. I think I get more comments when I am wearing pants then when skirted. Which tells me that people do indeed notice I am wearing a skirt, since the pants always get a comment. Wow you're wearing pants today?...
Yes, once people get used to you being a little odd, that becomes normal and being normal becomes odd.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Who you calling normal? :lol:
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?