Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Six nights and days in hospital which was not planned.
Oh, Hell, I hope you're OK!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Carl and thanks.
I'm really ok now but it was scary.
I had a suspected heart attack which was really the onset of Pneumonia.
That was fixed with some heavy duty anti biotics.
All in all it turned out to be a positive experience for me and spread the message too.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Gosh, that sounds nasty. I hope you have recovered fully and the prognosis is good.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

The other evening I was installing a new hood over the stove and asked my OH if she wanted to go for some icecream, so while she was getting ready I stepped outside and changed a tire on her car that was losing air. when I came back in she was ready, I was still in a camo skirt that I had been working all day and said that I was ready so off to get icecream we went. This is the first time that she has gone anywhere with me in a skirt, she has gone with me when I've had on a kilt before.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The first of many, I hope, bikerkiltskirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've been more or less living in a denim miniskirt (4" above the knee) for the past two months while the weather has been so hot. Today was another sunny day and I had an appointment at the opticians. I saw no reason not to wear the mini, so I did. I'd been wearing it with a polo shirt on the outside to partly conceal the skirt as if not to admit I was wearing a skirt. But it is obvious I am wearing one. Anyway, I thought what the hell, its still a skirt so I decided to tuck the shirt in so the the whole skirt was visible in all its glory; that way its also more comfortable around the waist.
Unusually, the opticians was staffed entirely by women; the male owner was away. In the waiting area I sat down next to two men in shorts and a woman in trousers. Nothing was said about the skirt (or anything else).
The optician was running late, so after 30 minutes of waiting I politely asked if they'd forgotten me. I was seen almost immediately after that. After the receptionist had notified the optician, she ask if I didn't mind her saying so, but it was nice to see a man in a skirt, and how unfair it is that women get all the choices. I said that in this weather its the best thing to wear. The conversation was curtailed when some one came in to the shop.
That brief conversation made up for the 30 minute wait :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

After shopping at Giant Food, at a red light nearby, a man called out to me from his car, "Is that what they call a kilt?" I was wearing a light 14" camo skirt and a sleeveless denim shirt. He had time to say he saw me in the store. I said, "Sure, it's comfortable," and he replied, "Cool!"

If it were in a situation for a longer conversation, I'd have said how one only needed to call it a "kilt" if one was worried about seeming masculine, but this was just a 15-second conversation.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

This afternoon my 21 year old grandson got a hankering for shrimp scampi and we decided to go to our local Red Lobster. We got there about 5:45 PM and was seated at once. Had a very nice meal. There were a lot of people coming in to eat at the same time as us.
I was wearing a calf length denim skirt and a dark blue"V" neck "T" shirt. No one seemed to even notice at all. Just another bloke and his grand son out to enjoy a meal together.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I went for my first cycle ride in a skirt today. It was just a few hundred yards to the local post office to post a letter. Once I started cycling I decided that the skirt was perhaps a bit tight as it rode up a bit to mid-thigh but I don't think anything showed. At least I know how A-line a skirt has to be to allow movement without display. It was an interesting experience and one I will repeat with a different skirt with a wider hem.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

For the bike you need a rather wide A-line skirt. First you have to be able to mount the bike and to move your legs up and down. The wind from your forward movement will keep the front down. I have done this and it stays decent. Only in a storm you might have a problem but then the weather is not really suitable for a bike trip anyway.
I0170894q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I’m dictating this post was out for a walk by the river Forth. In one month’s time I shall take part in the Edinburgh KiltWalk to raise money for work among homeless people in Scotland. So this is kind of a training walk. I’m wearing a white polo Shirt, black logo Hoody and below that plain black value kilt from Tartanista priced £22.95 plain black (priced approx £12 (you need to check the website). Within 5 minutes of setting out I had two compliments, one for my five-year-old boy on a bicycle, who said “I love your kilt”, and the other from the lady popping out of her house to dispose of the rubbish who said, “looking good in your kilt.”

My wife is not keen on my wearing skirts, but has often commented that she likes me in a kilt. Several years ago I bought a secondhand kilt to avoid wearing suits to weddings. So in honour of the kilt walk I thought I’ll purchase a “training” kilt. As expected it’s light and airy and much more comfortable shorts on a brisk walk. I’m looking forward to the main event!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Went for a walk in the park in my new Next jeans skirt (new to me :oops: ), it fits like a glove, but rides up ever so slightly after a few yards of walking. Thankfully it's fill length is 22 inches so no great shakes. After a while I just left the hem where it was, it had probably shortened to around 19 inches. Can identify with women who have this problem in bodycon skirts, but after a while adjusting my skirt when I sit down has become more second nature. I went at lunchtime where a lot of people would be in the park, as I wanted to gauge reactions. A few quick 'up - down' glances from a group of boys who passed, but no comments as such. It really is invisible denim!

Treated myself to a royal blue formal skirt for work on Monday. It will be around 77F so I may wear it with a light blue shirt like Mark :lol:
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

beachlion wrote:For the bike you need a rather wide A-line skirt. First you have to be able to mount the bike and to move your legs up and down. The wind from your forward movement will keep the front down. I have done this and it stays decent. Only in a storm you might have a problem but then the weather is not really suitable for a bike trip anyway.
That looks totally respectable. Great to see another skirted male bicycle rider - in fact one rarely sees a skirted female rider in the warm weather of Australia, unlike cold Copenhagen where many are skirted.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

denimini wrote:
beachlion wrote:For the bike you need a rather wide A-line skirt. First you have to be able to mount the bike and to move your legs up and down. The wind from your forward movement will keep the front down. I have done this and it stays decent. Only in a storm you might have a problem but then the weather is not really suitable for a bike trip anyway.
That looks totally respectable. Great to see another skirted male bicycle rider - in fact one rarely sees a skirted female rider in the warm weather of Australia, unlike cold Copenhagen where many are skirted.
I've been biking more in short skirts lately. As I wear them in the best cooling configuration for the undercarriage, that makes possible the chance of people seeing what they don't want to see, so I wear my belt pack in front like a sporran. One tighter short denim skirt with a lot of spandex worked its way up too far; I was glad to have that pack on and I don't think I'll bike in it again.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

kilty wrote:Went for a walk in the park in my new Next jeans skirt (new to me :oops: ), it fits like a glove, but rides up ever so slightly ...
I went at lunchtime where a lot of people would be in the park, as I wanted to gauge reactions. A few quick 'up - down' glances from a group of boys who passed, but no comments as such. It really is invisible denim!
My Mrs and I went for a walk along the seafront (and past the nuclear power station, but that doesn't sound quite so nice), I in my fairly new jeans skirt (fairly new to me :wink:), it fits very well and it doesn't ride up in the least. We went on a sunny afternoon when a lot of people would be there, though I really don't care these days if people react or not, lol. Quite a lot of "up-down" glances from pretty much everyone except small children, but no comments. It perfectly visible but nobody cares enough to say anything!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair