Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by pelmut »

Daryl wrote:
pelmut wrote:If you make your own skirts, you soon discover that fitting a zip next to a pocket is more difficult than fitting it in the front or back. A good compromise is to put the zip in one side seam and a pocket in the other.
I don't make internal pockets, only surface mounted ones. It's just easier and it's worked out so far.
With elastic-waisted skirts, a pocket can be hung from the waistband on the inside and tacked to the nearest seam to stop it flapping about. The stretchiness of the waistband allows you to slide your hand into it quite easily.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Just the other day, working i the gardin, wearing my Blaklader gardening kilt, first my neighbour stuck his head around the corner of some sheds placed by him and we had a chat. Such followed by his wife whom had seen me before in the same kilt.
No mention was made, but their eyes said sufficient. A few days alter the neighbour was walking about in his garden wearing his duster/morning coat. Maybe first step for him as she was enthousiastic earlier.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

geron, York is where I live and Scarcroft Road is a little way outside the city centre. I'm not often in the centre because all my shopping is done out of town but when I do venture in then there is absolutely no reaction to my skirt wearing. So, yes, it is a skirt friendly place. Now, weekend nights with the nightclubs is an entirely different scenario and I just wouldn't go there. Too much, fuelled by alcohol.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I just had a very pleasant experience.

as I have mentioned I am getting over major surgery.

I am doing ok but the boredom is tremendous.

My neighbor came up with a chance for me to get out of the house for a couple of hours.

We have a number of wineries not too far from my home. and he is a member of one of them and they were having a wine tasting event today. While the meds that I am on prevent me form consuming any amount of wine , He said I could still go thru the motions and just take a sip or so.

With the exception of going places with my son this was the first time that I have ever been with people in a car with a skirt on. You think about controlling the situation but for now I am just a passenger in the back seat.

It was about a 45 minute ride to the winery a couple of times I checked to make sure my skirt hadn't ridden up to far but other than that it was no different from any other car ride Except that I am the only one wearing a skirt.

This was an upscale winery. there was about 60 people there split between men and women. I can say that I was the only person wearing a skirt.

We went in toured around a little and then went down to one of the wine cellars where they had the tasting set up.

We sat at this long table and the host gave her comments about the wines that we were about to taste.

I just found it amazing that I went thru this entire session and the fact that I was wearing a skirt never came into play.

I am back home and reflecting on the events and I feel that this is the quiet level of acceptance that we are all looking for
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Old Salt Pleased you are on the mend ....Being on Medication and on an alcohol free diet is perhaps the safest way to visit a wine tasting session.

I would agree that being the only person wearing a skirt and having no comment made regarding my attire, is perfectly acceptable to me.

I was in a life style where I was commuting to work by car , leaving home at 0630 in the morning so I rarely drank alcohol.

I have been retired for over ten years and I still rarely drink.

What did affect my lifestyle was a three year driving ban caused by a cardiac problem with a valve which controls the blood pressure to my brain.

I now have a magic box fitted which will have to be replaced when I am 78 years old...and I am back on the road again in my self propelled summer house.

They say we are getting old when we stop talking about our love life and only discuss our aches and pains .......weeladdie
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...I just found it amazing that I went thru this entire session and the fact that I was wearing a skirt never came into play...
Hard to believe but true: if it doesn't bother you, it won't bother them.

Also, wine tastings tend to bring out an artsy crowd.

Or if not that, at least mellow.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

In Wells to pick up a book from Waterstones. Wearing a denim skirt and purple polo shirt.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

With Mrs C I drove from Wells to Chippenham with me wearing a denim miniskirt. Went for a meal in a pub while wearing the same skirt. Then it was skirts all the way at the Chippenham festival. Out of bed, shower, put on skirt. Dance and eat all day, then back to hotel, take off skirt and go to bed - wonderful :D
Even met Pelmut for a chat over a burger & chips.
Only one comment, from a door steward. She wanted my skirt :)
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Like Charlie, I was skirted the whole time at Chippenham - although unlike Charlie, I was living in the back of a van on the campsite.  I was pleased to see the number of men in skirts increasing year by year; it seems to be catching on mainly among the young lads who go to the ceilidhs - the older men who frequent the English Social Dance venues are more conventionally dressed.  One morris dance side was dressed entirely in black; this year, for the first time, the women wore trousers and the men wore kilts.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
foothill

Post by foothill »

I live in an upscale neighborhood with a lot of middle-age and senior neighbors. Everyone knows me, some have seen me in a skirt or skort, nobody seems to care. Every morning I drive to my local donut shop and get a cup of coffee which I bring back home and start my morning routine - email, work, etc. The donut shop is in a neighborhood of working-class immigrants who got to this country under probably horrible circumstances. I'm a Vietnam combat veteran and some of them probably saw worse than I ever saw. Anyway, they are a pretty tough lot. One of my fears has been to get my coffee wearing a skort so this morning I put on a simple grey t-shirt, dark-blue skort, and simple gray canvas shoes. I parked in the lot, walked past the small group of men gathered outside, got my coffee, came back home. Whew! One more needless fear crossed off my list. I have been out in public wearing way more feminine clothing than that but there was just something about doing this around people who I feared might not be very accepting was very liberating.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Out and About is my norm these days but circumstances have varied the venues.
The local hospital outpatients have become accustomed and actually remember me.
Bus drivers remember and comment on my progress.
Best one this week ,my adopted local pub. A young lady asked if I was part of a project for making a movie in Aberdeen as she was to meet members.
No, but we got to chatting. She made a positive comment on the skirt.
I asked if that had led to the first question, reply was No.
The answer was my diary, I was writing, that got her attention. The skirt was just an afterthought.
Lovely conversation, a win in my book.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Today was our village's annual strawberry & artists' festival. It's also the day for village-wide garage sales. I (with my wife) walked all around our small town in an off-white 15" skirt that's just about knee-length for me. Saw a number of friends and neighbors and farmers' market customers. No reactions to the skirt that I noticed.

My wife asked that I change into shorts for an outdoor wedding this afternoon, so I did. I don't think I would have changed if I weren't asked to, but it works better not to push things too hard.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...The local hospital outpatients have become accustomed and actually remember me.
Bus drivers remember and comment on my progress...
For sure, more people remember me and make friendly comments now than they did in my trouser-wearing days.

Last week I met a friend for lunch at a restaurant we visit occasionally. A waitress who last served us at least two months earlier remembered me and my order. I asked how she remembered me and she just smirked.

And yes, I gave her a nice tip.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kieran

Post by Kieran »

I’m currently in holiday in Spain and took a couple of skirts with me as I thought it would be a good opportunity for my first public outing in a skirt. Once I arrived at my hotel room I changed into a black skater skirt (will upload pictures to my pics and looks thread) and went out to the hotels buffet restaurant. Other than a couple of people that seemed to notice, I had no reaction from everyone else.

I did notice a young woman look in my direction and giggle when I wore the same skirt to dinner. I suppose this is her reaction to seeing something out of the ordinary?. It is a mini skirt so maybe she thought it looked weird on me?

I’ve got a couple of other skirts with me so will be interesting to see how things go over the next couple of days.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Don't sweat the young woman's reaction. Some percentage of the people are going to notice and the reactions will be varied. Take it as an opportunity to study the human condition.

Personally, 17-18" is as short as I'll go but I suppose it depends on one's legs, what else one is wearing, and one's motivation and preference. Just don't do the Lady Gaga thing unless you're really sure.

I find it interesting to take trips like yours bringing no trousers, only skirts. It gives me that, "irrevocably comitted," feeling, like after jumping off a diving board and before hitting the water.

Holiday locations, in my experience, are pretty laid back. People bring all kinds of customs from lots of different places, and everyone is there to relax, see some new things, and maybe do a few things they wouldn't do at home.

I was in Sedona, AZ (a big resort location) a few weeks ago wearing a utility kilt, and a guy wanted me and my friend to pose for a photo with his wife. I doubt that would've happened if I'd been in trousers.

caultron