Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Both outfits look great. Other than the fact that the skirts are too short for me I would wear the outfits. Have a great time in NYC!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...do you think it is ok for a 72 year old to be running around the city in a micro mini...
Sure, wear what you want! Just keep up your confidence and bravado. It's been some time since I've been to New York but people there have a reputation for sometimes being rather, uh, direct. So if you run into that, just be direct right back at them. It's what they expect.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Both outfits look good.

John
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Oldsalt it looks like your fashion sense is maturing rapidly. Before you know it you'll be wowing them in Paris my friend. Oh the heels look good too. Are you working on going for higher heels?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Most of my shoes are MaryJanes with about a 3 inch heel I do have one pair of stelletos with a 4 inch but for all the walking I would be doing in the city that,s about as high as I would dare
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just a follow up to a post from july My son who lives in New York City is going away for a few days in October. He is going to let me use his apt while he is away I am hoping to spend a couple of nights there .

It may sound strange but I am already planning my wardrobe. It will be for about 3 days and I don't plan on taking any pants with Me .

I have kind of devided the day into 3 parts

The first is for my trip in and maybe running out for breakfast For that I am planning on my normal denim skirts sneakers socks and a polo shirt.

After that I plan on going sightseeing I plan to go to the 9/11 world trade center museum one day and the Natural history museum the next. It may be a little colder so I put together a couple of outfits with Tights and skirts.

I am still working on my plans for the evenings

These outfits come close to Skirt dads do you think it is ok for a 72 year old to be running around the city in a micro mini :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sure! Why not? Wear what you like and love what you wear! By the way, cool booties!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

The only problem you might have is that it can be quite cold in October in NY. Last year in late September, I think, I was in NY for a weekend. The first night was particularly cold and windy. At first I wore some pants, and I was freezing. Luckily, I had brought my fleece skirt from mouseworks, which I usually only wear in winter. Once I put that on, I felt much better. Make sure to bring a good jacket. On the other hand, it can sometimes be quite warm, especially in early October. So far it's been mostly a bit cooler than usual at this time of year.
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

looks nice, old salt1. Though I would wear a knee-length pencil skirt, and pack some thick tights, and even take a pair of boots. I like both outfits, and the tights look nice. :D
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I think both outfits look very well put together!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The weather forecast was fairly good for today, so I decided I would weld and repaint the swarf tray of a lathe I have recently bought. All my old 'working' skirts are denim/cotton and presumably flammable (especially if they get soaked in oil) so I found an old pair of trousers to wear. It felt so weird - I couldn't wait to change back to a skirt when I had finished the job.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Tackleberry
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tackleberry »

Seeing as we've moved from Oxfordshire to Somerset I've had the opportunity to scope places to go for walks...
The first walk I did was in a black M&S skirt and I passed a dog walker who didn't say or even look at me funny, just a friendly hello...
And this afternoon I went for a walk in a dark blue knee length skirt with 40 denier navy tights on and passed another walker who gave no sign of noticing either...
It's almost like they are used to men in skirts in Somerset... :wink:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Tackleberry wrote:Seeing as we've moved from Oxfordshire to Somerset I've had the opportunity to scope places to go for walks...
The first walk I did was in a black M&S skirt and I passed a dog walker who didn't say or even look at me funny, just a friendly hello...
And this afternoon I went for a walk in a dark blue knee length skirt with 40 denier navy tights on and passed another walker who gave no sign of noticing either...
It's almost like they are used to men in skirts in Somerset... :wink:
Would it have something to do with not having a dog companion ?
Oh well back to something else - dogs make some of the most interesting distractions in meeting !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not long ago in Market St.,Wells, Somerset I passed a 60-odd year-old guy walking in company wearing tights and a knee-length skirt. The street was crowded and there was no opportunity to get a pic. or a second look, either.
I agree, dogs are a great diversion, but as my Benjy is very antisocial with others, I avoid meeting other like-minded people when out on our moor &c.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

pelmut wrote:The weather forecast was fairly good for today, so I decided I would weld and repaint the swarf tray of a lathe I have recently bought. All my old 'working' skirts are denim/cotton and presumably flammable (especially if they get soaked in oil) so I found an old pair of trousers to wear. It felt so weird - I couldn't wait to change back to a skirt when I had finished the job.

Working in a skirt, I envy you some. Where I work at we have to wear long sleeve shirts and pants no matter how hot it is outside :( on the hottest of hot days several times I had to use a company truck to pick up parts. Before I'm two blocks away, I'm. Out of my work jeans and into a denim skirt.
Too bad we don't live closer, perhaps we would work together. :kiltdance:
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Lately I've overcome some of my nerves about being a man shopping in a store for women's clothing. This came about because I discovered some wifebeaters (sleeveless knit shirts/undershirts) in Pennington's (a plus-size women's chain), and they were on sale so I made a few trips stocking up once I discovered how amazingly comfy they are. My very first trip was to pick up a sleeveless cotton blouse I'd found on their website and fancied, and to pick up a cheap pencil skirt I ordered over the phone at the same time, to discover how practical it was for my frame. For all the sales girls knew, I was picking up for my wife, because I wore trousers for that trip, but meeting the staff in person made me bolder so next time I went back (for the first round of wifebeaters) I dressed normally (ie. in a skirt). I bought six wifebeaters in colours I loved plus one black and one white on principle. They felt so great I decided to stock up and get some more, this time one size smaller. The same salesgirl helped me both times. I also bought a hooded sweater, which buttons what I'll call "left handed" but otherwise doesn't stand out as women's wear. The wifebeaters don't stand out much as women's wear either, except for two that have a semicircle notch in the middle of the front neckline, which would show off modest cleavage on a woman but just looks like a feature on me. The most feminine things about the wifebeaters are the colours I selected, which are not usual for men. I am fond of feminine colours, and always have been.

SO, yesterday I wore my straight grey herringbone wool skirt to a meeting at my bank, and some "nude" stay-ups I got from GLieberman because it was too warm for heavier long socks and too cool for no socks. I had to sit in the waiting area for awhile, which is quite visible to people entering and leaving the bank. I could see people noticing me and taking that extra half-second to process what they were seeing, but nothing else. No staring, no drawing other people's attention my way. Canadians are polite, not blind, I thought. When the person was ready to help me, she came and got me and we did our business, she in her pants and me in my skirt, and there is nothing about that to report, it was so normal.

After the bank I realised that I would have preferred black stockings with my outfit so headed back down to Penningtons because I remembered seeing a rack of stay-ups there. The same salesgirl helped me pick the right size. I took two pair plus two more wifebeaters which were on a clearance sale too good to resist and in a colour I hadn't managed to find before (lavender). She did a very good job of being unfazed by serving a 6' 1" man in a skirt, but I could tell her mind was processing hard by the delay servicing interrupts. With her previous customer she had referred to a bra as a "wireless bra". I made a joke that when I heard that I wondered how much mobile data it came with. She looked like a deer caught in headlights so I helped her out by saying "to me wireless means wifi", and then she got it and smiled.

Black loafers, for those about to ask.

Since I made the circle skirts I reported earlier I've been more and more confortable out and about in some fairly feminine things. The positive experience of going into a women's store in straight skirt and stockings will only make me more so, I am sure.

Now if only the danged stay-ups would actually stay up. I never thought I might need garters one day!
Daryl...