Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Sinned »

I penned this little ditty which sums things up quite well:

Some people daft things are always doing
And the Mick they continually take it
But calling them stupid I am now stopping [0]
Cos a challenge they're now starting to make it.

[0] Edited to make the rhyme with line 1. Not sure if it's an improvement.
Last edited by Sinned on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This has to be a hopeful encounter,
A 10 year old or so American wee man made a huge effort to open a door for me yesterday.
Nothing about skirts but he spotted a struggle and jumped to assist.
His Mom and Dad can be proud.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

STEVIE wrote:This has to be a hopeful encounter,
A 10 year old or so American wee man made a huge effort to open a door for me yesterday.
Nothing about skirts but he spotted a struggle and jumped to assist.
His Mom and Dad can be proud.
Steve.
made a huge effort to open a door for me

Amusing situation where there is a double entry door to the entrance to a building -
I am first entering the building and hold the door for the next person who repays the favor holding the second interior door.
And have had the alternate where the door is held for me and then I repay the favor - it is only the right thing to do.
Wearing a tartan kilt or skirt seems to always solicit the courtesy bug.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Had a bank meeting yesterday and for the first time I went in my skirt and tights. I had to have a seat while waiting for my account manager. I had my meeting with her and could only see friendly smiles, no negative comments or looks from any of the staff or customers so I felt great! Took off to the grocery store for a few things after-words since it is next door and it was very busy, had the same results. :D :D
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Feeling freedom wrote:Had a bank meeting yesterday and for the first time I went in my skirt and tights. I had to have a seat while waiting for my account manager. I had my meeting with her and could only see friendly smiles, no negative comments or looks from any of the staff or customers so I felt great! Took off to the grocery store for a few things after-words since it is next door and it was very busy, had the same results. :D :D
Ever since I discovered how little anyone cares, I've been doing just about everything skirted. Nice to see you're getting off to a fine start as well, fellow Canuck. :)
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:Had a bank meeting yesterday and for the first time I went in my skirt and tights. I had to have a seat while waiting for my account manager. I had my meeting with her and could only see friendly smiles, no negative comments or looks from any of the staff or customers so I felt great! Took off to the grocery store for a few things after-words since it is next door and it was very busy, had the same results.
Congratulations!

I hope you take this as even more evidence that people really, really, really don't care what you wear. So wear whatever you want. Anywhere.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Post by Feeling freedom »

Thank you Daryl and Caultron!! It is so true that it proves more and more that people are not out there to hunt down male skirt wearers and cut them down. They are busy with their own lives. I do still feel a little nervous for the first few minutes when I go out but it disappears pretty fast and the nervousness is being replaced with excitement each time I decide to spend the day in my skirt.

As a Canadian would say...keep skirting eh!
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Feeling freedom wrote:Had a bank meeting yesterday and for the first time I went in my skirt and tights. I had to have a seat while waiting for my account manager. I had my meeting with her and could only see friendly smiles, no negative comments or looks from any of the staff or customers so I felt great! Took off to the grocery store for a few things after-words since it is next door and it was very busy, had the same results. :D :D
Well done! Once you arrive at the realization that the world doesn’t much care what you wear, life in a skirt becomes all the much easier. Keep up the great work!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Feeling freedom wrote:...It is so true that it proves more and more that people are not out there to hunt down male skirt wearers and cut them down. They are busy with their own lives. I do still feel a little nervous for the first few minutes when I go out but it disappears pretty fast and the nervousness is being replaced with excitement each time I decide to spend the day in my skirt...
Spot on. You've got it. Now just keep doing it!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

On the train to Glasgow today, sporting my purple jumper, navy cord short skirt, navy tights and purple shoes. So far, so normal. I got a group of four seats to myself, as I live out near the end of the line. After a few stops, a man got on and sat diagonally opposite me in the group of seats. A few more stops and another man got on and sat opposite me. I was doing the puzzles in the paper and ignoring them both, as you do.

A wee while later Mr Diagonally Opposite addressed the other: "Don't take photographs, it's very rude." I glanced up, and the man had his phone in his hand, pointing forwards and down at an angle. There followed a short and rather unfriendly exchange between them, the alleged photographer denying it. Now call me self-centred, but I had a notion that the subject of the pics might have been me. So a dilemma: should I chip in or not? If I said I didn't really mind, that would be more than a little unsupportive to Mr DO, who was trying to be helpful, but it was true. And it might have inflamed the situation. So being a total wimp who hates confrontation, I kept quiet and pretended not to hear.

(The fourth seat remained unoccupied, save by my bag; it was very comfortable, thank you very much!)

When the train reached the terminus, Mr Snap-Happy got off first, and I took the opportunity to thank the other guy. "Was that me he was taking pictures of?" He now seemed strangely reticent and mumbled half a reply. "I'm not bothered by it, you have to expect it when you have unusual fashion sense like I do. But thanks anyway." By this time we were alighting, and as he was still struggling to find his tongue, I went on my way.

What I find a bit odd is that the guy had the confidence to call the other guy out for the surreptitious photos, but then he came over all tongue-tied when I spoke to him. Maybe I was just too weird for him to cope with.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Alastair,
I really commend your self control toward Mr. Snap Happy.
However, he was well out of order! Think about the next time he may choose to go David Bailey.
He could really upset someone.
That could result in harm to the snapper or the snapped.
Uncle Tom Cobley and all has to realise that they have to ask first, simple politeness!
Otherwise, do not complain at a terribly robust response.
I have directed the "polite to ask" at a guy on a bus taking candid shots of a girl.
She was showing nothing untoward but it was creepy.
He was very quick to get the phone he was using away when I spoke, mmmm?
Steve.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Whilst taking down some overhead wiring at a folk festival, I managed to get it in a horrible tangle around a shop sign. There wasn't time to go and get a ladder, so I climbed up on an outdoor pub table and tried to dislodge it with a fully-extended mic stand. When I looked down, someone from a group of revellers was pointing a 'phone/camera up my kilt and his girlfriend said "He's going to put it on YouTube, you know". I just laughed and said "He'll have pay royalties to Marks & Sparks* if he does". That seemed to de-fuse the situation and I had no more trouble.

[* Marks & Sparks is a joke name for a UK department store which sells very conventional underwear for the older man]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtyscot wrote:On the train to Glasgow today...
This is the type of encounter that at first I feared but now enjoy. Residual teenage rebellion, I suppose.

Timing can be everything for these incidents; you have to react before the moment passes. But in the same situation, I think my best response would be, "Oh, no problem, I don't mind being photographed. Would you like me to sit a certain way or anything? Do you ever wear skirts yourself? They're very comfortable, you know. Oh well, where are you headed?"

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The first guy was right, and it's great that someone has the confidence to call out a stranger for unsavoury behaviour. I reckoned that laughing it off would have been unfair on him. Plus, I'm usually too slow with my devastating rejoinders.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I saw a dog wearing trousers this morning (all four legs). I suppose the human equivalent would be long-johns. Yet to see a dog in a skirt though :(
I was in a denim kilt :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.