Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Ray »

Course he is! Mike is the original Lycra One :-)
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Recently I went for a walk with the dog in the woods. I had the idea that I would be alone, but such was not the case. Even though it wasn't my first outing, it was running into people. it weren't just one or two but complete groups. But they just looked and no comments within earshot. I wore my utility kilt, low shoes with tassles - they might have given also a second thought - and nude pantyhose to keep the musquitos away.
The day before, after visiting friends who are not into the theme - I switched to a skirt and stopped at an atm. No one there at that time.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Gusto10 wrote:Recently I went for a walk with the dog in the woods. I had the idea that I would be alone, but such was not the case. Even though it wasn't my first outing, it was running into people. it weren't just one or two but complete groups. But they just looked and no comments within earshot. I wore my utility kilt, low shoes with tassles - they might have given also a second thought - and nude pantyhose to keep the musquitos away.
The day before, after visiting friends who are not into the theme - I switched to a skirt and stopped at an atm. No one there at that time.
Keep it up; it really does keep getting easier.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Caultron wrote:Good look! I keep thinking of trying one of those myself.

Are you wearing pantyhose there or is the shine just stray light?
Thanks... and yes, L'eggs Sheer Energy, suntan pantyhose.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Ray wrote:Course he is! Mike is the original Lycra One :-)
You are correct, sir!
Mike

Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Mike, I was a member of LAUF back from 99 - 02 (at which point some ranting people, post 9/11, put me off) then 08 - 15 on an intermittent basis. I remember you well from that time as one of the more reasonable headed individuals - and of course, an inspiration on the leg wear front (no mention of skirts then of course!). I was also buying from Steve at Comfilon from the outset - and even had a customer quote on the old website. So there you go.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Yeah I quit LAUF a long time ago... Too much drama.
Mike

Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Gusto10 wrote:Recently I went for a walk with the dog in the woods. I had the idea that I would be alone, but such was not the case. Even though it wasn't my first outing, it was running into people. it weren't just one or two but complete groups. But they just looked and no comments within earshot. I wore my utility kilt, low shoes with tassles - they might have given also a second thought - and nude pantyhose to keep the musquitos away.
Those must be pretty wimpy mosquitos, for mere pantyhose to keep them away. Up here the mosquitos have no trouble stabbing you right through blue jeans.
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

On holiday in Germany with the Mrs and sons 2 and 3. Son 1 also joined us for a few days as he was on holiday as well and he was going to be pretty near us.

Apart from a day and a half in Berlin when the weather was terrible, I have been skirted all the time. Now it is nice and hot so I am reaping the benefits! Plenty of people have noticed, particularly in museums where nobody is in a hurry and you get plenty of time to notice the few people around you. But the only adverse reactions I have noticed have been a threesome of teenagers in Dresden who referred to me as a "homo" after I had passed them (with my wife and children), and a party of teenage girls in the Dokumentationszentrum-Reichsparteitagsgelaende in Nuremberg (the Nazi rally grounds; I just had to type it out in full!) who were having a good old laugh at me. Nobody else seems to mind, though many are surprised.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtyscot wrote:On holiday in Germany with the Mrs and sons 2 and 3. Son 1 also joined us for a few days as he was on holiday as well and he was going to be pretty near us.

Apart from a day and a half in Berlin when the weather was terrible, I have been skirted all the time. Now it is nice and hot so I am reaping the benefits! Plenty of people have noticed, particularly in museums where nobody is in a hurry and you get plenty of time to notice the few people around you. But the only adverse reactions I have noticed have been a threesome of teenagers in Dresden who referred to me as a "homo" after I had passed them (with my wife and children), and a party of teenage girls in the Dokumentationszentrum-Reichsparteitagsgelaende in Nuremberg (the Nazi rally grounds; I just had to type it out in full!) who were having a good old laugh at me. Nobody else seems to mind, though many are surprised.
The three teenagers - potential brown shirts of a new Reich - uneducated brain washed youths - with not one iota about what is homo and where it came from (Greece)!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

r.m.anderson wrote:The three teenagers - potential brown shirts of a new Reich - uneducated brain washed youths - with not one iota about what is homo and where it came from (Greece)!
I always considered Homo to be a shortened form of Homosapiens. The ape that got smart! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:The three teenagers - potential brown shirts of a new Reich - uneducated brain washed youths - with not one iota about what is homo and where it came from (Greece)!
I always considered Homo to be a shortened form of Homosapiens. The ape that got smart! :lol:
Heh, never heard that one before. Other than homosexual the only way I've heard "homo" used is in reference to milk.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Other than homosexual the only way I've heard "homo" used is in reference to milk.
It depends on whether one uses Latin or Greek as the root. Of note is that much in the field of medicine (and matters of public health) tends to use Greek as the root.

In Latin, "homo" means "man", so "Homo Erectus" is a man (-like creature) that walks upright and "Homo Sapien" is a man (-like creature) that thinks (modern humans, supposedly; sometimes I doubt this). (Species taxonomy is Latin-based.)

In Greek, however, "homo" means "same". So, in medical terms a homosexual is one who prefers partners of the same sex and in public health (and milk as well) "homogenise" means to be forcefully made "same" by very vigorous blending (for milk, so as to cut up the fat; in human populations it's called "ethnic cleansing"). For dichotomous contrast, "hetero", for "different", we have "heterogeneous populations" meaning populations consisting of individuals with different (and sometimes contrasting) genomes or genotypes (core unalterable characteristics). (Heterogeneous also applied to computing as well, at least until Intel took over the planet. Contrast the instruction sets of an IBM mainframe with a PDP-10 with an Intel machine.)

Of interest -- and proof that learning is a lifelong exercise -- the term "sapiosexual" is used to denote folks who can only really bond with high-function thinkers. I do not believe this term existed 50 years ago.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:Other than homosexual the only way I've heard "homo" used is in reference to milk.
It depends on whether one uses Latin or Greek as the root. Of note is that much in the field of medicine (and matters of public health) tends to use Greek as the root.

In Latin, "homo" means "man", so "Homo Erectus" is a man (-like creature) that walks upright and "Homo Sapien" is a man (-like creature) that thinks (modern humans, supposedly; sometimes I doubt this). (Species taxonomy is Latin-based.)

In Greek, however, "homo" means "same". So, in medical terms a homosexual is one who prefers partners of the same sex and in public health (and milk as well) "homogenise" means to be forcefully made "same" by very vigorous blending (for milk, so as to cut up the fat; in human populations it's called "ethnic cleansing"). For dichotomous contrast, "hetero", for "different", we have "heterogeneous populations" meaning populations consisting of individuals with different (and sometimes contrasting) genomes or genotypes (core unalterable characteristics). (Heterogeneous also applied to computing as well, at least until Intel took over the planet. Contrast the instruction sets of an IBM mainframe with a PDP-10 with an Intel machine.)

Of interest -- and proof that learning is a lifelong exercise -- the term "sapiosexual" is used to denote folks who can only really bond with high-function thinkers. I do not believe this term existed 50 years ago.
English, dude. English.

I only use English as the root and in English "homo" means any guy who even touches another guy with an open hand not a fist. For example, if Bob came up and put his arm around me and rested his hand on my shoulder as an expression of drunk buddy love, I'd be obliged to recoil and shout "homo!" None of my group of male friends are sapiosexuals, obviously.

(P.S. Only one movie quote, this time.)

(P.P.S. Satire. No offence intended towards any actual sapios.)
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:English, dude. English.
I see. We have one of the Bruces: "No pooftahs!"

With apologies to anyone named Bruce and Monty Python

:twisted:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!