Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote: Wore a black wrap mini with maroon tights, black clogs, and gray sweater. I heard some laughter as I left the checkout in a supermarket. Maybe I didn’t notice remarks and rudeness in the past, but it seems to have gotten much worse and out-loud under the current political regime of ugliness over the last year or two.
Dillion, Are you sure the laughter was aimed at you? Since I wear skirts and dresses all of the time I do notice when derision is aimed at me. I have been able to learn when it is not at me and when it is. I would say that about 96% of the time it is not me they are laughing at but some thing else in their conversations.
Yes there are those who would come right out and make fun of you or say nasty things but I just ignore them. I do not know them and they do not know me so if they say nasty things then that is their problem and not mine. I have not noticed anything different in the last few years than in the preceding years. It has not gotten worse or better.

Happy Skirting,
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Went to the supermarket this morning wearing a blue golf shirt and a blue denim mini skirt I made from an old pair of Levi jeans, when I got to the checkout the lady asked "what part of Scotland are you from". I know some men in Scotland wear kilts but don`t think they wear denim mini skirts. :lol:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
dillon wrote: Wore a black wrap mini with maroon tights, black clogs, and gray sweater. I heard some laughter as I left the checkout in a supermarket. Maybe I didn’t notice remarks and rudeness in the past, but it seems to have gotten much worse and out-loud under the current political regime of ugliness over the last year or two.
Dillion, Are you sure the laughter was aimed at you? Since I wear skirts and dresses all of the time I do notice when derision is aimed at me. I have been able to learn when it is not at me and when it is. I would say that about 96% of the time it is not me they are laughing at but some thing else in their conversations.
Yes there are those who would come right out and make fun of you or say nasty things but I just ignore them. I do not know them and they do not know me so if they say nasty things then that is their problem and not mine. I have not noticed anything different in the last few years than in the preceding years. It has not gotten worse or better.

Happy Skirting,
Fred
Perhaps I am overly sensitive, since intolerance in general seems to have been granted so much license now, but I have not really ever had such perceptions before, in all my years of skirt fashion.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Saturday, in a busy sports shop I got into conversation with a family.
That was Mum, Dad and two little girls aged 6 and seven, The main topic was ice and roller skating, the kids and Mum had just got new roller skates.
I paid for my new trainers, turned around to leave and the children gave this old man a spontaneous bye bye hug.
I doubt that if I live for another hundred years that I will repeat that experience.
A truly touching innocent gesture in such cynical and paranoid times.
There is still real beauty in the world.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I attended the eye clinic yesterday in my black skater skirt. I cycled in and the skirt behaved impeccably! No comments at all about the skirt, not that I expected any, but did get some smiles. On Monday I noticed a group of black dots in my vision and since I only have sight in one eye I went to the GP who referred me to Specsavers who have a Minor Eye Clinic. They couldn't fit me in so suggested Accident and Emergence. I went to A&E on Tuesday and they did a quick look and booked me into the Eye Clinic yesterday. Nothing to worry about. A detailed examination revealed no bleeding, no retinal damage and nothing serious. It's apparently a group of floaters that have got stuck in the inner eye fluid. They will go away in time and if noit the brain will learn to ignore them. A great relief off my mind.

Last night I went out for my walk wearing a deeply ruched top, about 6-7 inches, think boob tube with a skirt on the bottom. Not a success and thankfully I had a jumper over it as the top kept descending very quickly. I was pulling it up every two minutes, not having the chest bumps to keep it up. Never again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

At the beach front this morning, quite busy but it is only the 1st day of the Easter weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Managed to get to the beach front today, we had a couple of days of severe storm's (houses, cars, roads, bridges washed away). The skirt I am wearing is one of my favourites, it's upcycled fromantic a pair of Levi 501 jeans I no longer used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Looking good!!

Sorry to hear about the storms and all. But that beach looks so inviting that I wish I was there right now.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

melsav wrote:Managed to get to the beach front today, we had a couple of days of severe storm's (houses, cars, roads, bridges washed away). The skirt I am wearing is one of my favourites, it's upcycled fromantic a pair of Levi 501 jeans I no longer used.
Looks good! :D
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Fred in Skirts wrote:Looking good!!

Sorry to hear about the storms and all. But that beach looks so inviting that I wish I was there right now.
You really don`t want to be on the beach right now, it's full of tree`s, bushes, sea weed and plastics of all kinds that got washed down River. will probably go down over the weekend to try clean some of the plastic up, hopefully other people will join me.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

melsav wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:Looking good!!
You really don`t want to be on the beach right now, it's full of tree`s, bushes, sea weed and plastics of all kinds that got washed down River. will probably go down over the weekend to try clean some of the plastic up, hopefully other people will join me.
Everyone should join you as they enjoy the beach as well. I know there are some who will scream and holler about the trash on the beach but will not lift a finger to help clean it up. Those are the ones that make the loudest noise about litter. Talk to the newspapers and the radio and TV people to see if they would run Public Service announcements to get people to help clean up the beach. Make a special day of it get businesses to sponsor prizes, nothing big but still nice. Some could give discounts for the most plastic or wood picked up, that kind of thing. It works as I saw when I was at the beach after a hurricane and all of the local radio stations banded together and sponsored a clean the beach day with free food donated by the local restaurants, discounts from some of the local stores and free coupons to the people who came to work. In one day ( 8:30 AM to 6:00PM) they picked up over 3 tons of litter and storm debris.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

A few days in Amsterdam with my Mrs. After the no-trousers trip to Spain in the autumn, I thought I'd pack a pair this time to ensure a happy holiday without her nipping my ear for wearing skirts all the time. But three days in, it's been skirts every day and no problems.

No problems from the good burghers of Amsterdam or my fellow travellers. Plenty of funny looks, especially today when I wore my green knee-length A-line number which is quite striking.

I have seen two kilties, to my surprise. But no skirted men.

An amusing incident from the first day. We had gone out to Keukenhof Gardens to see the tulips - well worth a trip if you are here at the right time of year. I was wearing my red cord mini, with bare legs because it was a warm day. We passed a girl of about 12 who was wearing a T-shirt bearing the advice "First learn how to follow the rules. Then learn how to break them." She goggled at me way more than your average tulip lover, so much so that I couldn't resist looking round after we had passed each other, to see if she was rubber-necking me. And sure enough, she was. So I called to her "read your T-shirt - first learn how to follow the rules, then learn how to break them!". She remained slack-jawed, while her mother, who was with her, gave me a withering look. And I tip-toed on my merry way!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Self portrait from Keukenhof.
DSC_0714-506x897.JPG
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:[...]We passed a girl of about 12 who was wearing a T-shirt bearing the advice "First learn how to follow the rules. Then learn how to break them." She goggled at me way more than your average tulip lover, so much so that I couldn't resist looking round after we had passed each other, to see if she was rubber-necking me. And sure enough, she was. So I called to her "read your T-shirt - first learn how to follow the rules, then learn how to break them!". She remained slack-jawed, while her mother, who was with her, gave me a withering look. And I tip-toed on my merry way!
That story reminds me in a way of my experience in Chicago's Union Station when I was standing quietly in a line behind a youngster of about the same age who'd shot me more than a few looks including full up-and-down ones, and whom I quietly challenged by leaning down slightly and telling her, "Yes. it's what you think it is." and did so as an acknowledgement that she'd been tagged out on the matter. Unlike your, encounter, though, the youngster very quickly turned it around by commenting that she thought that I looked good in it and the parents who were about a foot away never got involved. I stood back up, thanked her, and that was the end of it. Some little one had her head screwed on straight, and wherever she is now I wish her luck in the future.

In your case, the mother's reaction was rather sad.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well done, Alastair, but in today's climate addressing minors uninvited is perilous to say the least. I've been to the Keukenhof several times. One daughter worked there for a couple of months packing bulbs &c while she studied Dutch as a student. The view from the platform up on the windmill is memorable.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !