hybrid garments

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Mr. Sir

Re: hybrid garments

Post by Mr. Sir »

It helps a lot!

Awesome reponse, crfriend, much appreciated.

Downsizing the waist size isn't intuitive (for me), because it means that I'm dropping from a LARGE (32-34" waist) to a SMALL (27-28" waist). That's quite a difference and it had me worried that I could even pull it on over my waist. Sounds like it won't be a problem though.

RE no response from Macabi: I used their online form to send my question in rather than a traditional email. I may have mistyped something or some other techincal glitch may have happened.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Mr. Sir wrote:Downsizing the waist size isn't intuitive (for me), because it means that I'm dropping from a LARGE (32-34" waist) to a SMALL (27-28" waist). That's quite a difference and it had me worried that I could even pull it on over my waist. Sounds like it won't be a problem though.
It's an issue of geometry. The gals tend to have wide hips that we blokes don't, and that means that "pull-up" garments (i.e. those that do not have zips, buttons, or the like in them) need to be able to clear those hips and then be snugged up around the waist. Most blokes have only a couple of inches or so difference between hips and waist, and so sometimes it makes more sense for a bloke to focus more on hip size in a "woman's style" skirt than he would focus, say, on trousers aimed at guys.

With my Macabi, it comes up over my hips fairly tightly, and the drawstring is fairly taught even at my waist leaving precious little room for a proper knot. I find this annoying, which is one of the reasons I would select a size larger than what they recommend; the net result, however, is that I would have more fabric in play all 'round and that would get even larger towards the ground.

Now, for skirts that have "proper fastenings" (e.g. zips) waist size becomes important again, and one has to be careful with it indeed. Making matters worse in this regard is the modern trend towards "vanity sizing", not to mention the general air of black magic when it comes to attempting to understand women's sizes, much less trying to convert them to workable men's sizes.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Mr.Sir

I have a 36 inch waist and took the risk of ordering a L size medium long Macabi. It soon proved to be perfect. The elastic works so well I could even remove the drawstring.
Medium length turned out to be too long so I shortened it by some 7 inch and it is ankle length for me now. I am 1,71 metres long.
I wear it mainly around the house and as there are no rivers in my house to wade through I threw the binding string away. :alien:

Jan.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

My Macabi is sized directly from the chart, no adjustments made. This was because I wanted the maximum length and going down a size shorted the skirt as well as reducing the distance around. Despite this, the elastic plus drawstring arrangement has proved effective and I've had no problems with the skirt migrating south, even with overloaded pockets. In practise I generally ignore the drawstring, leaving it loose unless I am carrying more than is sensible in the pockets.

Carl may be able to comment further on this, but I hate having my stride restricted by a skirt and so was happy to have the extra fullness. Carl is about my height and can tell us whether he finds the Macabi, deliberately undersized in the waist, limits his stride.
janrok wrote:I wear it mainly around the house and as there are no rivers in my house to wade through I threw the binding string away
I use mine when out walking, but have rarely used either the wading snaps or the "pant clip" (lanyard). The only time I have found the lanyard useful is in blustery conditions when the Macabi can be inclined to fly-away. Connecting the front and back of the skirt, just above the hem, with the lanyard at its shortest length, gives me some extra confidence that I will not suddenly find myself wearing the first Macabi travel cape :oops:
Carl wrote:With my Macabi, it comes up over my hips fairly tightly, and the drawstring is fairly taught even at my waist leaving precious little room for a proper knot. I find this annoying, which is one of the reasons I would select a size larger than what they recommend
I haven't looked, but if the drawstring is not sewn in it should be a pretty simple matter to pull a longer string through the tunnel by tying the new one to the old before pulling it out. I have done this on another skirt and found that a hiking boot lace made an excellent replacement for the original drawstring (it stayed fastened better too).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Carl may be able to comment further on this, but I hate having my stride restricted by a skirt and so was happy to have the extra fullness. Carl is about my height and can tell us whether he finds the Macabi, deliberately undersized in the waist, limits his stride.
I have no problems with my Macabi -- a "long" -- with my stride, but the hem falls to about mid-calf length. Longer and fuller would be better from a style sense (to my mind) but this length is perfect for what I bought it for.
I haven't looked, but if the drawstring is not sewn in it should be a pretty simple matter to pull a longer string through the tunnel by tying the new one to the old before pulling it out. I have done this on another skirt and found that a hiking boot lace made an excellent replacement for the original drawstring (it stayed fastened better too).
I know, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Just like so much other stuff in my life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mr. Sir

Post by Mr. Sir »

Thanks for all the helpful replies about my question.

I figured I wouldn't second-guess the Macabi size chart suggestions, and placed an order for a Small/Long yesterday. Hopefully it will sit on me with the length I'm looking for.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Mr. Sir wrote: It wasn't until I went and saw a Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit that I saw one of his men's angle length skirts that rocked and I wanted to get something similar (in size).
Did you see the Gaultier exhibit at the deYoung here in San Francisco? I haven't strolled over yet (it's about a mile from where I live). Since much of what has been shown in the promotional material has been some of his more "out there" stuff, I haven't made a big effort to go. Were there enough men's skirts to make it worthwhile?
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Mr. Sir

Post by Mr. Sir »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
Mr. Sir wrote: It wasn't until I went and saw a Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit that I saw one of his men's angle length skirts that rocked and I wanted to get something similar (in size).
Did you see the Gaultier exhibit at the deYoung here in San Francisco? I haven't strolled over yet (it's about a mile from where I live). Since much of what has been shown in the promotional material has been some of his more "out there" stuff, I haven't made a big effort to go. Were there enough men's skirts to make it worthwhile?

I did.

Although there is a portion of the exhibit that explains Gaultier's view that clothes have no gender, there were only a handful of men's skirts on display.

That being said, the exhibit was one of the nicest ones I can remember at the deYoung -- they really really did an excellent job with their presentation on this one.

Yes, there are some "out there" outfits, but most are fairly accessible, being primarily prêt-à-porter items (I think). The exhibit did slant a bit towards the items worn by a variety of musical artists in videos or on tours over the years (Madonna, Nirvana, Kylie Minogue, etc.), if you're into that angle.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Thanks for your review/comments Mr. Sir.
The show is on until August 19th, so I should be able to find a Sunday afternoon to go see it. The question is, will I wear a skirt? :wink:
Stuart Gallion
Mr. Sir

Post by Mr. Sir »

Mr. Sir wrote:Thanks for all the helpful replies about my question.

I figured I wouldn't second-guess the Macabi size chart suggestions, and placed an order for a Small/Long yesterday. Hopefully it will sit on me with the length I'm looking for.
My Macabi arrived and it fits me exactly as I had hoped. I'm looking forward to wearing it on a camping trip coming up in a few weeks -- it'll be the first time I've ever worn a skirt.

Thanks one and all.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I wandered over to the deYoung museum yesterday to see the Gaultier exhibit. There was an interesting long men's skirt suit on the moving catwalk exhibit near the end of the show. But if you waited for the manikin to go by and took a look at the back it turned out to be a suit with pants with a panel in the front making it look like a skirt. :? That would explain why the skirt look part had a cuff at the bottom, it matched the pants. Don't think I'll be looking to G P Gaultier for inspiration in the men's skirts arena.
Stuart Gallion
Mr. Sir

Post by Mr. Sir »

I remember that one. It was rather odd looking to be sure.

Did you see the one more towards the beginning of the exhibit? It was narrow, floor-length, and of a black fabric with subtle pin-striping. It was paired with a similarly-styled suit jacket.

I tried unsucessfully to find the exact one on Google Images, but it was somewhat similar to this:

skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I think you are talking about the one on the far right of the arc of manikins right at the entrance. If memory serves me right, that one was a panel in front of pants too.
BTW, did the animated manikins creep you out? I'm still trying to figure out if they were actually moving or if it was a projection. There was a video projector above the visitor's heads pointed at each of them. I think I recognized the projectors as being similar to what our lighting designer showed me at work. I work for a company that owns hotels and we have installed projectors is some of our ballrooms.
Stuart Gallion
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I don't mind that panelled trouser look. I'm not sure I'd choose to wear it but if it helps to blur the line between skirts and trousers and to normalise the appearance of a skirted man it can only work in our favour.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Milfmog wrote:I don't mind that panelled trouser look.
Seen frequently in cafés, the waiters wearing an apron over their trousers. Looks quite elegant, actually !

Martin