Public safety in skirting 2021

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Public safety in skirting 2021

Post by moonshadow »

I overreacted. Things seem about the same.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Over here there are some journalists suggesting that Trump did not start all the nastiness - he just enabled it and rode it. They are also reporting that the banks have called in his loans so he might go bankrupt (again). Meanwhile there are calls in Scotland to launch an 'Unexplained Wealth Order" to explain where he got the money to buy the loss-making Turnberry Golf Club. With a bit of luck he is doomed on so many fronts and might even end up in Jail for trying to subvert an election by violence and intimidation of officials.

Couldn't happen in the UK, could it? Here we rely on the ballot box to offer democratic solutions, as the people of Northern Ireland were told repeatedly. Only we don't. If the SNP win an outright majority in the May elections, which is looking very likely, on a ticket of having another referendum on Scottish independence, our own blond-haired buffoon Boris (who was roundly rejected by the people of Scotland but we got him anyway) says we can whistle for it. RIP democracy. It is interesting that the two parts of the UK who voted to remain in the EU (Scotland and Northern Ireland) are reported by pollsters as having majorities wishing to leave the UK. It is not that our votes were 'outvoted' by a bigger England - it is that the concerns of the Scots and their Government were blatantly ignored in Brexit negotiations - Northern Ireland is so ignored that it is rarely included in the name of the nation. The UK refers to itself as 'Britain' - a term that refers only to England, Scotland and Wales. Not just ignored - treated with contempt. Not only that, but former Prime Minister Gordon Brown is calling for governance reform to listen to the views of Scotland. This is the man who, when he was Prime Minister, refused to meet with the elected First Minister of Scotland because he didn't like him. Very mature. Trumpian behaviour is by no means absent from UK politics.

Another article in the weekend press was referring to the way that Trump had sort of legitimised intimidation of LBGT, which in the mind of the uneducated would include any man in a skirt, and that Trumps' legislation had been overturned already by Biden. They reckoned that this sort of intimidation was unthinkable in the UK. They are probably right. There might be a few skinhead primitives somewhere who would contemplate violence against minorities but their numbers are insignificant, as is their influence. In the last few decades the UK has become very open-minded about LGBT - still some way to go on BAME though, but we are getting there. Despite the Boris, we are a lot better off in many ways in terms of enlightened attitudes than our friends across the pond, where 'liberal' is almost a dirty word for many.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Very good post, RG. There's talk now of an 'Irish unity' vote coming up soon in N. Ireland.

They'll need to talk to the regime in Dublin, who are fully aware that we couldn't afford any such union, idealistic though it may be. Fact is, we don't have he financial clout down here to take on the North. Westminster coffers are much deeper.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rivegauche wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:58 am With a bit of luck he is doomed on so many fronts and might even end up in Jail for trying to subvert an election by violence and intimida
That will NEVER happen. Don't even get your hopes up, Trump is above the law, always has been, always will be, along with his family and close friends.
rivegauche wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:58 am Despite the Boris, we are a lot better off in many ways in terms of enlightened attitudes than our friends across the pond, where 'liberal' is almost a dirty word for many.
Everyone is LIBERAL compared to even as early as 20 years ago.

EVERYONE IS LIBERAL

ALWAYS remember to bring that up when someone rants about "liberals".

Virtually EVERYTHING that people do today was ILLEGAL at some point in American History.

See a woman wearing pants? There's a liberal.

Like to shop and eat out on Sunday? There's a liberal.

See someone practicing any religion other than Angelican? There's a liberal.

Like to drive over 55? There's a liberal.

Like fast paced music? There's a liberal.

See a woman applying for a loan? There's a liberal.

See a black man, poor white man (most Trump supporters), or a woman legally VOTE? There's a liberal.

See someone celebrate Christmas with a tree? There's a liberal.
It goes on and on and on....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Oh, and I should go without saying....

Every. Single. Member. Of. This. Site. Is. LIBERAL.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I understand the intent, Moon, but it misses the fact that all of those things came about better than a half-century ago, and we've been in the clutches of an increasingly reactionary culture for forty years, and pretty soon we'll be undoing many of the points you mentioned unless we can fix the problem. The difficulty is that we need to capture the hearts and minds of the far right wing -- and that's going to be very difficult indeed. Recall that these people vote, too, and they tend to vote in blocs.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:47 pm The difficulty is that we need to capture the hearts and minds of the far right wing -- and that's going to be very difficult indeed. Recall that these people vote, too, and they tend to vote in blocs.
That's why we need to take every opportunity to remind people of how "liberal" they are, and to remind them that they are only as free as the person next to them.

I don't think anyone wants to return to the puritan days of the 1600's. The fact is, Jerry Falwell Jr., Donald Trump, and the whole lot of "conservatives" would have likely been, at the very least banished for heresy, and perhaps maybe executed under the old customs and laws of the land...

See "Sacred Liberty" a very informative podcast discussing the history of religious freedom in the U.S. Learn how, back in the day, how Baptist preachers in Virginia were spit on, harassed by locals, sent to jails where they would preach from their barred window while locals literally pissed in their faces.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:51 pmI don't think anyone wants to return to the puritan days of the 1600's. The fact is, Jerry Falwell Jr., Donald Trump, and the whole lot of "conservatives" would have likely been, at the very least banished for heresy, and perhaps maybe executed under the old customs and laws of the land...
It's worth noting that I live in Massachusetts which, in many respects, still lives in the 17th Century, especially in matters like the criminal justice system.

Too, we need to be very careful in the use of our terms. What we have in the modern world are not "conservatives" (as they like to brand themselves), they are reactionaries who very much wish to undo the progress made by the liberals -- and proper conservatives -- who went before them. Recall that the liberals could not do things without the active participation of the conservatives; all progress has been a team effort and tended to involve very distinct majorities of the general population. The redefinition of the two terms has been one of the more corrosive issues in the reactionary period which we now find ourselves in for any number of reasons.

Wanna go back to the 1950s? OK, let's go -- we can start with reapplying the tax law that was in place in the 1950s where the top marginal rate on unearned income was 91% and tax on the average wage was about 10%. That'd come pretty close to fully finding not only digging out of the SARS-CoV-2 mess and associated economic implosion, but also fully fund a first-world health-care system as well as the deeply-needed revitalisation of the US infrastructure. Yeah, we'll get some bad with the good -- like Jim Crow laws, enforced segregation, military conscription for fighting colonial wars, and intense social stagnation.

Shall we dance?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

One of the things I regret about 'Tricky Dicky' was, in 1971, when
the U.S. came off the 'Gold Standard'. If the U.S. was still on it,
I think our economy would be much better off. The stock market
wouldn't be going crazy. When the DJI(?) was hovering around 950
points or so, the economy was much better, in my opinion, than
what we have now.

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 pmOne of the things I regret about 'Tricky Dicky' was, in 1971, when the U.S. came off the 'Gold Standard'. If the U.S. was still on it, I think our economy would be much better off.
Indeed, abandoning the gold standard was a poor move, but given the clouds hanging very low at the time there was little choice. If the US had stayed on it, we'd likely have had inflation at "a Brazilian pace" which at one point was hilariously termed "a currency that inflates faster than a dead dog in the sun" [2].
The stock market wouldn't be going crazy. When the DJI(?) [1] was hovering around 950 points or so, the economy was much better, in my opinion, than what we have now.
The main reason that the stock market is out of control now is that it's effectively untaxed; that was not the case in 1971 and would not be until 1981 with the introduction of "tickle-down" economics -- which has long since been utterly discredited -- by one Ronald Reagan. 1981 marked the year that the US began actively penalising wage-earners for the simple reason that they drew a wage instead of gambled.

[1] DJI -- probably meant to be DJIA (Dow Jones Industrial Average). When the USA was an industrial power, "The Dow" was an aggregator of the prime "blue-chip" stocks in the country and a moderately accurate indicator of overall productivity and prosperity. In the 1980s, however, as Voodoo Economics took hold, a "good day on Wall Street" usually corresponded to a "bad day for the United States" as it meant that there'd been another huge round of layoffs/redundancies somewhere as the US haemorrhaged jobs to various third-world locations. Today it's largely meaningless and so overblown that if it wasn't dangerous it'd be comical. As of this writing, The Dow is just shy of $31,000 -- it's real worth is likely about $5,000 to $6,000. Watch what happens to all those 401k accounts when that bubble bursts -- as it will.

[2] Travel commentator Robin Leach, if memory serves, on a programme chronicling the voyages of the QE2 and a visit to Rio De Janeiro.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, after about a three year dry spell, I've now registered my second obnoxious bit of behavior this year.

This guy actually had the audacity to cuss me right inside the walmart.

*sighs*
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:10 am Well, after about a three year dry spell, I've now registered my second obnoxious bit of behavior this year.

*sighs*
At least it confirms that your bigot filter is working. A pity it doesn't delete them.
We all know that there are that 0.001% out lurking out there.
Best to just ignore them as they probably have other mental health issues as well.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

denimini wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:32 am
moonshadow wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:10 am Well, after about a three year dry spell, I've now registered my second obnoxious bit of behavior this year.

*sighs*
At least it confirms that your bigot filter is working. A pity it doesn't delete them.
We all know that there are that 0.001% out lurking out there.
Best to just ignore them as they probably have other mental health issues as well.
After telling this story to Jenn, I find out this is the same guy Amber (my daughter) had an issue with where she works. Apparently he goes all over town with his German Shepherd "service dog" and is as sweet as pie to some people, and downright ugly towards others.

He went into where Amber works one day and started berating her for being "too f-cking slow", proceeded to call her ugly names like "fat slob" etc. He left the restaurant and came back in with a cell phone camera in her face trying to badger her into doing something to get herself fired.

So we basically have a prick that walks around town with what is likely a trained attack dog... looking for problems.

A male "Karen" essentially.

One of these days, he's going to cross the wrong one. Somebody with nothing to lose.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:06 pmHe went into where Amber works one day and started berating her for being "too f-cking slow", proceeded to call her ugly names like "fat slob" etc. He left the restaurant and came back in with a cell phone camera in her face trying to badger her into doing something to get herself fired.
Where was the manager who should have ejected the miscreant from the premises?
One of these days, he's going to cross the wrong one. Somebody with nothing to lose.
Karma works.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:27 pm
He went into where Amber works one day and started berating her for being "too f-cking slow", proceeded to call her ugly names like "fat slob" etc. He left the restaurant and came back in with a cell phone camera in her face trying to badger her into doing something to get herself fired.
Where was the manager who should have ejected the miscreant from the premises?
I think she took care of it. But I don't know how.
-Andrea