Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, Etc.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Re: Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, E

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I picked up some 120 denier black tights, wore them with a skirt, but ended up changing them for pantyhose. They offered support / compression when I first put them on, but soon felt baggy.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Mike
Distinguished Member

Postby Caultron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Mike wrote:I picked up some 120 denier black tights, wore them with a skirt, but ended up changing them for pantyhose. They offered support / compression when I first put them on, but soon felt baggy.

Yeah, that can happen depending on the size and the amount of Lycra.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Postby oldsalt1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Caultron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:15 pm

oldsalt1 wrote:I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder

Yes indeed. Of a skirt, heels, and tights, the tights are by far the least prone to negative reactions, and they are surprisingly warm. Not subarctic warm but more than you might think. I think the weave creates tiny air pocket that act as insulation.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Postby hoborob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Caultron wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I made my first real trip out in tights today. Between the bank , cleaners home depot ,staples I made 8 stops. Up to now I had been a little weary of wearing tights. But after today I have no problem. It was about 40 degrees out and I was warm. I have to get some thicker ones for when it gets colder

Yes indeed. Of a skirt, heels, and tights, the tights are by far the least prone to negative reactions, and they are surprisingly warm. Not subarctic warm but more than you might think. I think the weave creates tiny air pocket that act as insulation.

That is what happens exactly Caultron but not in the way that your mind normally thinks. What actually happens is that there is a natural very thin layer of warm air next to your skin, This is caused by a natural heating of the air by the body, this layer is very thin. The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor and the little spaces between the strands helps to hold this very thin layer of warm air next to your skin this creating a warmth insulator which helps your legs to stay warmer than if exposed to the natural airs currents that tend to disrupt the layer of warm air. To really get a better effect you can wear 2 pairs of tights/hose and the second layer helps to cover over the open areas in the first layer which makes the effect even more noticeable to you the wearer.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Caultron » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:03 am

hoborob wrote:...the little spaces between the strands helps to hold this very thin layer of warm air next to your skin this creating a warmth insulator...

I thought that's what I said but if there is some nuance of difference, it's OK with me if you win.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Postby pelmut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm

hoborob wrote:...The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor...

Actually nylon is a moderately good heat conductor, not as good as metals but a lot more conductive than air. It also has a large specific heat, so it feels cold when you first touch it.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Postby skirted_in_SF » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 am

pelmut wrote:
hoborob wrote:...The nylon in the hosiery is a non heat conductor...

Actually nylon is a moderately good heat conductor, not as good as metals but a lot more conductive than air. It also has a large specific heat, so it feels cold when you first touch it.

This is more in line with what I have found about sheer or near-sheer hosiery. I don't feel any warmth from nylon tights, but I have a pair of cotton blend cable knit to the knees tights that work well for me. Almost as well as my heavy cotton thigh highs.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Skirts and Kilts for Men