Difficulties with partners

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Difficulties with partners

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I suggest you keep that one in your shirt pocket for the first time she rips you for wanting to wear a skirt in public after she has worn those shorts in public. Ask her, and phrase it as a real question, "How is that different from you wearing (my relative's) shorts in public?" If you ask it in a flat tone of voice but with true curiosity, you just might find out what her real objection is and then you have a shot at resolving it.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The shorts were too big, alas, but I did mention the incongruity with no comment from her. But I am now completely baffled by the inconsistence of MOH. My flum is well and truly oxed as they say. After a really nice traditional breakfast in a local eatery we went shopping. In ASDA MOH saw a rail of clothing reduced to £3 per garment and she bought several tops. One of the garments was a brown dress that, on the hanger looked sack-like but on looked very good. It's a sleeveless shift dress in a suede-like texture and a couple of purely decorative diagonal zips on the front. Front neck is round with a not particularly deep V back. As it happens there were only two garments one her size and one mine, although mine was a bit, ahem, snug. Think 14 when I am probably really a 16/18, although women's dress sizes aren't worth the paper they are written on. I was able to get it an and off and it didn't show every lump or bump. I did say that we should buy both and we would have matching dresses much like we used to wear matching tops when we were first married. I was waiting for a protest. I even tried the dress on and she looked and said that it looked better on. In practice I would wear the dress with something underneath, such as a shirt or T-shirt. I waited again for a squeak from her about looking like a woman and there was nary one. Confused? You bet. When would I wear it? I don't know. Would she wear matching dresses with me? I don't know. Not even sure how to proceed with this one and what questions to ask to ascertain her thinking. Any suggestions? I will try and get a photo of it sometime but I think you have a mental picture of the type of dress I mean. :?

Just by chance we were watching a programme that was a compilation from old programmes of the Antiques Roadshow and there was a lady with a man's white shirt, bright blue tie and matching blue paisley waistcoat and I said that she was dressed like a man in man's clothes. Of course, I was deafened by the reply.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

In some 200,000 years of human existence men have only been able to figure out one thing about women.

You can't figure them out.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Along the lines of there being two rules about understanding women:
Rule 1: Just when you think that you understand Your Other Half they say or do something that negates all your pre-defined conceptions.
Rule 2: See rule 1.

The only thing consistent at the moment is her inconsistency. :roll:

The floor is still open.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

I have been told that there are only two ways to argue with a woman----

Men can't win either of them.....
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I find arguing with people in general, both women and men tends to be a fruitless endevour.

When a debate escalates to argument... f___k it, I walk away. I find it just isn't worth arguing with humans... they're always right! :roll:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:I find arguing with people in general, both women and men tends to be a fruitless endevour.

When a debate escalates to argument... f___k it, I walk away. I find it just isn't worth arguing with humans... they're always right!
Someone once told me than an argument is two people, each trying to disgust the other, and whoever gets so disgusted they can't stand it anymore becomes the loser.

So the answer, at least usually for me, is to look at the argument for what it is, realize you're looking at infantile behavior, not get wrapped up in it, and not get disgusted.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I began to wear a skirt following extensive groin surgery followed by painful recovery. Pants hurt so I bought a tennis skirt to wear around the house, and the rest is history. My wife and I went to dinner last night and I was wearing a skirt while she had jeans on. No one noticed. I am outdoors at least once a week photographing nature and wildlife. I wear a skirt for the freedom and comfort and frequently encounter people in nature preserves, state and natural parks, and wilderness areas on and off trails. Nothing has ever been said to me or any disapproving glances or stares. My wife also has several hiking skirts; Purple Rain Adventure Skirt, The North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, Columbia. She has also bought me a few skirts if she spots one I might like.

A brand worth considering who make light weight running kilts (skirts) is jwalkerdesigns.com I like the wrap design for taking off and putting on hiking boots.

No, there are no difficulties with my wife regarding me wearing skirts or kilts. I usually wear a skirt if I am going to drive for more than an hour. We will attend a Christmas party this weekend about two hours from our house. I will stop and change into pants before we arrive.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:No, there are no difficulties with my wife regarding me wearing skirts or kilts. I usually wear a skirt if I am going to drive for more than an hour. We will attend a Christmas party this weekend about two hours from our house. I will stop and change into pants before we arrive.

Why change?? Wear something that is nice and will go with the holiday theme. :santa: Then just be your self and enjoy the party and the comfort of the skirt. I am planning a trip to Colorado and am flying. I will be in a skirt both for the trip and while visiting my daughter and family who have never seen me in a skirt. I am who I am and no longer worry about what others think they do not have a say in what I do or wear. I told my daughter that I would be skirted and her response "COOL".
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hooray for you Fred!

Dennis,

I'm not sure what to say about your situation.

But here's a thought. Some evening soon when your wife is in a good mood ask her if it would be alright if you changed into something skirted. If it is okay with her, come out in your new dress. If that goes well, try that again with some of the outfits she seems to be alright with. When you get back around to this "suede" (microfiber?) dress, suggest she change into her matching dress.

Then a late-night moonlit drive in your matching outfits. Clearly, there's been some thawing in her position about the time she lets you try on a dress in a store and then the two of you buy matching dresses.

Just try to take it at her pace, which I expect means slowly. but who knows?

Best of luck!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well aside from Dave's advice it seems that, after the past few days, the collective wisdom about women of the intelligentsia members of this site hovers slightly above zero. I must admit that I am baffled by this one and Dave's suggestion of us both trying on the dresses seems like a start. Even getting a photo of us both as I don't think that she would object to that. As to a thaw, well it's early days on that and I will need a bit more evidence. I am just going to have a shave and shower and I'm going to wear what I can describe as a long T-shirt with a Snoopy cartoon on it. It really looks long enough to be a nightie but she seems content for me to wear that. I have often asked her where a long T-shirt becomes a T-shirt dress and she has no answer to that.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Well aside from Dave's advice it seems that, after the past few days, the collective wisdom about women of the intelligentsia members of this site hovers slightly above zero.
Well, after I got my head, heart, and other vital organs handed to me on a platter by my ex-, I'm not about to start pontificating on the matter. Just sayin'. I just wish relationships didn't have to so much resemble an armed truce but a true friendship, but that seems where the matter lies most of the time -- with the woman having all the advantage in weaponry. Of what use is a rational mind when staring down the barrel of a .40 calibre muzzle?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Dennis, we have been going on for YEARS about you and your wife. If you haven't figured out yet whether you have testicles or ovaries, then I cannot advise you. Sorry, but that's really the case here.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

dillon wrote:Dennis, we have been going on for YEARS about you and your wife. If you haven't figured out yet whether you have testicles or ovaries, then I cannot advise you. Sorry, but that's really the case here.

Dillon; that was uncalled for.

Bill
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS