Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Orange Apple »

Franinskirts wrote:
rick401r wrote:I work 1 day a week at a friends jewelry boutique and I often wear a kilt but today, for the first time, I'm wearing an actual skirt. so far no one has mentioned it. It's a knee length camo cargo skirt with a black vee neck tee and sandals. It's much cooler and lighter than a kilt and it has POCKETS!. I'm a little apprehensive about being seen in a skirt but I'll see how the rest of the day goes.
Good luck at work. It should not be any different than wearing your kilt to work.

Fred :kiltdance:
Agreed. I do not think that 99% of the population notices the difference between a kilt and a skirt unless the skirt is obviously feminine with lots of lace, or it's barely covering your butt.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Orange Apple wrote: Agreed. I do not think that 99% of the population notices the difference between a kilt and a skirt unless the skirt is obviously feminine with lots of lace, or it's barely covering your butt.
Exactly. I have been asked if I'm Scottish 3 times in the last two weeks. I don't own a kilt.
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

partlyscot wrote:
Orange Apple wrote: Agreed. I do not think that 99% of the population notices the difference between a kilt and a skirt unless the skirt is obviously feminine with lots of lace, or it's barely covering your butt.
Exactly. I have been asked if I'm Scottish 3 times in the last two weeks. I don't own a kilt.
But you're obviously Scottish. Just look at your username.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

It turned out to be an uneventful day at work. No comments were made. I did notice a few smiles mostly from young girls. Granted, most of my time was spent behind a desk but I had to get up and help customers and an occasional trip out front for a smoke. I mostly forgot it was a skirt I was wearing until I had to step over my backpack to get out from behind the desk. It's a bit more constricting than a kilt but all in all much cooler than a kilt.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

I was in a pub in Cambridge (UK, not Massachusetts) last night in my full taffeta outfit (see pics-and-looks). Having used the facilities, I waited at the top of the stairs for another patron to ascend. His eyes naturally scanned my form as he went. His comment when he reached the top?

Nice boots.

I had a good giggle, as did my work friends when I relayed the story.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here's me, relaxed mode!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:Here's me, relaxed mode!
Good look!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Wore a dress on an outing yesterday afternoon, including an hour and a half on a bench in a crowded city park. No one gave me so much as the time of day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:Wore a dress on an outing yesterday afternoon, including an hour and a half on a bench in a crowded city park. No one gave me so much as the time of day.
Looking good as always Jeff! :)

Oh and it's ten minutes after six.

(Now you have the time of day AND a cool dress!) :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Jeff,

It may just be me, but when I see your pictures I do not see anything that suggests you are a man in a dress. All I see is a dress mixed with shoes and accessories that are typically worn by women. That is not (emphaticly not) a criticism; simply a note that there is nothing jarring in your presentation. Nothing grabs the interest of passing people. They see a dress, nothing screams "man", few will see "hot babe" (sorry :) ), as a result few take a second glance.

I guess the above can be viewed as a successful outfit for a man or as (almost) passing as a woman to those encountered though not engaged with. However folks see you, the look you present is tidy, credible and entirely your choice. I am not convinced that your look does anything for "The Cause" (of men in skirts or dresses) as I don't think many people see a man in a dress, but that is OK not everyone wants to be a crusader.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I debated on leaving this alone, but alas, I am some what confused, and had to clarify...

When you say..
Milfmog wrote:However folks see you, the look you present is tidy, credible and entirely your choice. I am not convinced that your look does anything for "The Cause" (of men in skirts or dresses) as I don't think many people see a man in a dress,
Jeff is a man, in a dress, wearing what he chooses. As you said, it's tidy, credible, and his choice. And he's a man. How is that not "our cause"?

Many regulars on this site, myself included often go beyond ordinary skirts and also experiment with dresses, shoes, accessories, etc. Isn't that what freestyle fashion is all about? Again, not trying to poke this with a stick or anything, I just find your reply somewhat confusing. :|
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Milfmog wrote:Jeff...It may just be me, but when I see your pictures I do not see anything that suggests you are a man in a dress...

...I am not convinced that your look does anything for "The Cause" (of men in skirts or dresses) as I don't think many people see a man in a dress, but that is OK not everyone wants to be a crusader.
I, for one, would never mistake him for a woman in a dress. With a wig, makeup, and falsies, maybe, but not as he is.

Now, I have to admit, Jeff's style isn't my style. And Milfmog, I suspect your style is different from either. And I'm sure we'd each like our personal style to win out and become the new normal. But in the meantime, the more the general public sees men in single-leg-hole (unbifurcated) garments of any type, the less shock reaction over time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sometimes, Jeff, you really rock with your looks, though lately you've been experimenting a bit toward the fem side for my likes; but as all have said, if it's your thing, go for it. None of us have a monopoly on perfect male skirted style.

I'm not a fan of belted dresses on men because our shape is not suited for a dress constructed for a woman's body with the high feminine waist constriction. Would that some dresses were tailored to a man's dimensions - larger chest and shoulders and lower waistline. That issue is 95% of the visual unattractiveness of men in most styles of women's dresses.

And I really don't like men in women's tops that are styled to call attention to the bosom, which most men don't possess, and which, in tune with the theme of this site, most men likely would not/should not desire. Deep V and plunging necks are just a bit too close to crossdressing (and you know what I mean so let's skip the endless debating about what crossdressing is) for my taste; they just don't make sense for a man and don't look good on men, IMHO. The dress neckline in your last photo, Jeff, however, did look good; a henley style definitely works.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

moonshadow wrote:I debated on leaving this alone, but alas, I am some what confused, and had to clarify...

When you say..
Milfmog wrote:However folks see you, the look you present is tidy, credible and entirely your choice. I am not convinced that your look does anything for "The Cause" (of men in skirts or dresses) as I don't think many people see a man in a dress,
Jeff is a man, in a dress, wearing what he chooses. As you said, it's tidy, credible, and his choice. And he's a man. How is that not "our cause"?
My point is that Jeff's outfits are so complete and visually similar to what we have all seen women wear that they do not draw attention. If folks don't notice him then they simply don't realise that they have seen a man in a dress. An advertisement that is not remembered in some way has no value to the advertiser.

As I remarked previously, this is not a criticism of Jeff's look; simply an observation.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce