How exactly is this NOT a dress!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Departed Member

Re: How exactly is this NOT a dress!

Post by Departed Member »

Sinned wrote:
On the other hand the skirt though is perhaps unique in that you can't wear one by stealth, like you can with a top elongated into a dress. Yes, you can wear kilts but the move from kilts to skirts even via the UK is still a quantum leap and I don't really know of any way over that. I'm thinking of ways to get around MOH's antagonistic stance in this respect. I guess that it's just go for it or not. Sigh! :?

Try a "kilt-skirt," see if she knows the difference. It's simply a kilt made for women, sometimes longer, but always cheaper and lighter-weight it seems.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/kilt-skirt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-M-S-1 ... 1c46cf7567
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Marks ... 4187c798d8

Or they have some longer but lighter-weight and cheaper men's kilts for sale from UK punk shops, made of cotton even, like here:
http://www.tigeroflondon.co.uk/index.php?cPath=10

Or simply do what I do; make your own lavalava. Get whatever color and type of fabric you want, usually around 6'x4' or so, hem the edges and you got yourself a "man's skirt," and you can claim it as such and show pics of male Polynesians and even male white Europeans wearing it and she can't possibly argue with that (altho I suspect she'll try).
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Potbelly MacKraken wrote:Try a "kilt-skirt," see if she knows the difference. It's simply a kilt made for women, sometimes longer, but always cheaper and lighter-weight it seems
Womens 'kilts' wrap the opposite way from mens (and it isn't an easy job to reverse them), a woman is bound to notice that sort of thing immediately.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, PB but a lavalava would be too lightweight for our climate and anyway she would just dismiss it as a garment from another culture and tell me to go live there then. Yes, plmt she would notice. She notices if I wear a shirt marketed at women that buttons the "wrong" way. As for your suggested kilt/skirts I do have one that's a similar paid pattern but that is a skirt, full stop, according to MOH. I do search ebay every now and again for examples of skirts that I could buy so I know what's available but I use the British .co.uk site and not the American .com site. I still stand by my assertion that other female-marketed garments can be slid under the radar with carefully chosen versions but the skirt is unique by its construction/design in not coming into that same category. And that is probably the main perceived problem for us. I can wear tops, shirts with flowing sleeves and ruffles or jeans/trousers, possibly a T-shirt type dress with leggings of some description, but a skirt? I have no problem with it but ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

pelmut wrote:
Potbelly MacKraken wrote:Try a "kilt-skirt," see if she knows the difference. It's simply a kilt made for women, sometimes longer, but always cheaper and lighter-weight it seems
Womens 'kilts' wrap the opposite way from mens (and it isn't an easy job to reverse them), a woman is bound to notice that sort of thing immediately.
I have a woman's kilt. It's very well made, 100% wool. I had it shortened to 24 inches, the same as my man's kilt. As far as I know no one has noticed the fact that it opens from the left.
jazbell

Post by jazbell »

ASOS_longline_hoodie.jpg
ASOS_extreme_longline_sweatshirt.jpg
hooded_long_dress.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Very good, jazbell. Photos 2 and 3 answer the OP's question nicely. And I am even more tempted to invest in one!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Yes, I could be tempted to invest in some of those, though they don't seem to do much more than black, which for me is for underclothes only.
Martin
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

pelmut wrote:
I don't own a kilt, but I do have a few "Kilt Skirts" (including a couple left-over-right styles), all of them are below my knees so they are not technically "kilts". My wife, while otherwise afraid or my being see in public in a skirt, is a little less hostile to my "kilts" (which I wear on private walks and at home when the kids are not around. Quite frankly I feel more comfortable in public wearing one of these as opposed to an unambiguous skirt.
MrNaturalAZ
Distinguished Member

Post by MrNaturalAZ »

I like the second two - all in black. It's a good simple look.
No shirt, no shoes, no pants, no gods. No worries!
Equality Skirts

Post by Equality Skirts »

Topman in the UK have been selling a range of long length t-shirts and sweaters all summer.

I've got two myself and am contemplating a third. I bought them predominantly so I can pair them with leggings, without requiring a pair of shorts (or skirt for that matter) to cover my bits.

Been wearing them a couple of months now and ironically received my first comment from someone about the length just half an hour ago.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Couya wrote:Yes, I could be tempted to invest in some of those,
Si ce some of the items have reduced prices, sent an order. It arrived to day,
1. A long thick cotton sweatshirt -- not sure how I'd wear it; needs a long straight skirt, which I don't wear, or even long straight trousers(!); perhaps with a kilt worn over it for cold weather.
2. A very long fine cotton long-sleeved garment/dress; back 10cm longer than front to tackle the sensitive part behind the knees. Too long to wear under a kilt, to narrow to wear over it; it will probably end up as a winter night shirt.
3. Some coloured vests (GB).

What surprised me most was the size labels. I am small and wear mostly M size, sometimes S.
I did not want baggy garments in this case, and there were no M available, so I took a chance on XS, even an XXS because that's all they had in the color I wanted !
No problem, everything is quite roomy.
I think ASOS is a British company (not sure). Does this mean that the Brits are getting so overweight that they've changed the labeling system?

Martin
azhiker

Post by azhiker »

I would like to see the model in this garment without the pants.
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

Which garment, AZH ?
Jazzbell's pictures all show bare legs.

Martin
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, I have mentioned in this thread a yellow short dress that I suppose is more like a tunic. It is too short to wear without supportive garments such as trousers or a skirt without seriously compromising one's modesty. I have started wearing this tunic and MOH has commented on its shortness. I just told her that it is one that she gave me and I consider it just to be a long T-shirt. I have worn it in the presence of several others without comment so as far as I am concerned it is now part of my wearable ensemble. That, to me, is a minor victory.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I wore that Asos sweatshirt (dress) around the south of France this week. I did get a few looks (I paired it with thick tights and knee boots) but it was very comfortable and I felt good in it.
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews